The Astell & Kern AK240
Dec 7, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #8,731 of 9,131
Since I use AK Connect, my WiFi is always on. Every time I boot up there's a message screen about the latest firmware which another user recently reported had noise problems. Anyway, in the past, a firmware upgrade didn't have an update dialog box come up, but now it does. Annoying.

Dec 10, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #8,732 of 9,131
Any other thoughts from owners who have updated their 240 to the latest firmware?

Dec 11, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #8,733 of 9,131
Any other thoughts from owners who have updated their 240 to the latest firmware?

I haven't experienced any major issues in terms of operations or changes in sq. I use my AK with wifi off, and play either straight out or with a Mojo. I don't mess around much with the eq or playlists, so I can't really comment on that...but yeah, no problems with it.

Dec 21, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #8,734 of 9,131
I just upgraded to the latest firmware 1.36 and it works great. I purchased a used AK240 recently to replace my Mojo. Nothing wrong with the Mojo, but on-the-go it was always a pain connecting the Mojo to the iPhone. Much preferring just the one piece of equipment/dedicated device. Music quality is excellent, especially DSD.

I've had my eye on the AK240 for a couple of years, and with A&K dropping the new price to $1500, the cost for used devices is within my budget.

My only concerns are the poor battery life and needing to crank the volume past 80 with my Campfire Audio Vega's.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #8,735 of 9,131
I just upgraded to the latest firmware 1.36 and it works great. I purchased a used AK240 recently to replace my Mojo. Nothing wrong with the Mojo, but on-the-go it was always a pain connecting the Mojo to the iPhone. Much preferring just the one piece of equipment/dedicated device. Music quality is excellent, especially DSD.

I've had my eye on the AK240 for a couple of years, and with A&K dropping the new price to $1500, the cost for used devices is within my budget.

My only concerns are the poor battery life and needing to crank the volume past 80 with my Campfire Audio Vega's.

Battery life is dependent on the type of files one plays. DSD files, especially, drain the 240 as well as heats up the chassis. I run mine with the display turned down all the way and wi-fi/bluetooth turned off, and with 24/96 files, I generally get about seven hours.

Regarding the volume, since the range goes all the way to 150, 80+ doesn’t seem bad at all.

Dec 22, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #8,736 of 9,131
Duh - newbie mistake. I thought the max vol was 100, but indeed it does go up to 150 :) The power is fine.

I seem to be getting about 5 hours of battery when playing DSD files. I ran it constantly for 5 hours, and the chassis actually felt quite cool. Battery life is indeed much better with wifi and Bluetooth turned off.

Great player - absolutely loving it. The UI is clean and simple.

Dec 22, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #8,737 of 9,131
Battery life is dependent on the type of files one plays. DSD files, especially, drain the 240 as well as heats up the chassis. I run mine with the display turned down all the way and wi-fi/bluetooth turned off, and with 24/96 files, I generally get about seven hours.

Regarding the volume, since the range goes all the way to 150, 80+ doesn’t seem bad at all.

Duh - newbie mistake. I thought the max vol was 100, but indeed it does go up to 150 :) The power is fine.

I seem to be getting about 5 hours of battery when playing DSD files. I ran it constantly for 5 hours, and the chassis actually felt quite cool. Battery life is indeed much better with wifi and Bluetooth turned off.

I guess us 'Old Timers', are gonna find out about the battery replacement service, soon. Mine is about 3 months, from being 3 years old and the battery won't take a full charge anymore. As @jwbrent said, all non essentials should be turned off.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #8,738 of 9,131
I guess us 'Old Timers', are gonna find out about the battery replacement service, soon. Mine is about 3 months, from being 3 years old and the battery won't take a full charge anymore. As @jwbrent said, all non essentials should be turned off.

I’m not too far from iriver, so hopefully when the time comes I can just drive there and wait while the battery is swapped out.

I love the size and feel of my 240SS, and so far have not been seduced into buying a replacement dap ... although the top end Sony is mighty enticing. :)

Dec 22, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #8,739 of 9,131

Maybe because I have the SS version, the chassis gets hot when I play DSD files. I don’t recall if this was the case when I owned the standard 240.

Congrats on your purchase!

Dec 22, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #8,740 of 9,131
I’m not too far from iriver, so hopefully when the time comes I can just drive there and wait while the battery is swapped out.

I love the size and feel of my 240SS, and so far have not been seduced into buying a replacement dap ... although the top end Sony is mighty enticing. :)

My 240 was my first and absolutely my best purchase. I dabbled with other DAPs but all had and have frustrating hardware or UI issues. The 240 is totally predictable and a pleasure to use.

Dec 22, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #8,741 of 9,131
My 240 was my first and absolutely my best purchase. I dabbled with other DAPs but all had and have frustrating hardware or UI issues. The 240 is totally predictable and a pleasure to use.

I fully agree. The only issue that has come up for me is the volume going wacky using the wheel. I had this problem when I bought the 240 right when it was available (iriver replaced it), and I sometimes have this issue with my SS. When it occurs, I generally shut it down, spin the wheel both ways several times, and then power back up. So far, that seems to correct the odd behavior, but I get the sense the mechanism A&K used for the volume wheel is not as durable as what befits a TOTL dap, or maybe it is sensitive to any dust that gets inside.

I never read anything about this happening with the 380.

Dec 22, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #8,743 of 9,131
I fully agree. The only issue that has come up for me is the volume going wacky using the wheel. I had this problem when I bought the 240 right when it was available (iriver replaced it), and I sometimes have this issue with my SS. When it occurs, I generally shut it down, spin the wheel both ways several times, and then power back up. So far, that seems to correct the odd behavior, but I get the sense the mechanism A&K used for the volume wheel is not as durable as what befits a TOTL dap, or maybe it is sensitive to any dust that gets inside.

I never read anything about this happening with the 380.

Yeah, I forgot about the volume control because, I figured out long ago, that spinning the volume control up and down a few times, helps when it starts misbehaving. Since, on the subject of warts, I wish the DAC function, still worked for me. Other than that, a completely well thought out, piece of gear.

Dec 22, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #8,744 of 9,131
Yeah, I forgot about the volume control because, I figured out long ago, that spinning the volume control up and down a few times, helps when it starts misbehaving. Since, on the subject of warts, I wish the DAC function, still worked for me. Other than that, a completely well thought out, piece of gear.

Are you using a PC or Mac? As far as I know, the DAC function works fine on my Mac, but I haven’t tried since the last couple of firmware updates. If you’re using a PC, maybe re-downloading the driver? You probably already did that ...

Dec 22, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #8,745 of 9,131
Are you using a PC or Mac? As far as I know, the DAC function works fine on my Mac, but I haven’t tried since the last couple of firmware updates. If you’re using a PC, maybe re-downloading the driver? You probably already did that ...

On a Mac with the latest OS 10.13.2. "Chestnuts Roasting By An Open Fire", noise in the background. I posted a query, not too long ago, if anyone found a solution. It's been that way through the two Sierras'. As stated before, it's really not a biggie, since I do own dedicated DACs but it's still missed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back