The Astell & Kern AK240
Jan 30, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #8,086 of 9,131
  Could anyone comment on the actual battery life of the AK240? Does it achieve the rated ~14 hours?

My understanding is that, to achieve any manufactures claimed battery life, you would have to play lossy (mp3 and variants) or wav files, exclusively (minimal processing (CPU or the equivalent) because there is no compression). Flac files are compressed (think, audio .zip file that has to be unzipped on the fly) and DSD, massive amounts of data. The latter two require lots of processing (CPU) time which in turn means poor battery life. Everything is a compromise, less than stellar SQ (mp3), great battery life. Ultimate SQ, poor battery life.

Jan 31, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #8,087 of 9,131
I'm using my AK240SS running through a Hugo as my source on my main system, so the AK Connect feature has proven to be real handy. One question, though, for others who have used it: do you have an issue with some of the artwork not displaying? All the artwork shows up fine on the SS, just not on the iPad app.

Jan 31, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #8,088 of 9,131
  I'm using my AK240SS running through a Hugo as my source on my main system, so the AK Connect feature has proven to be real handy. One question, though, for others who have used it: do you have an issue with some of the artwork not displaying? All the artwork shows up fine on the SS, just not on the iPad app.

Plenty of my artwork doesn't show up on my 100ii, just using it as a DAP.

Jan 31, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #8,089 of 9,131

Plenty of my artwork doesn't show up on my 100ii, just using it as a DAP.

Which 100 II do you have—there were two versions? The first version was the upgrade to the original 100 in the same form factor with a lower output impedance, and the second is the current version. I know there were artwork problems with the original 100 and 120 since I owned both of them. But I thought they remedied that issue with the current 100 II and 120 II.

Jan 31, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #8,090 of 9,131
  Which 100 II do you have—there were two versions? The first version was the upgrade to the original 100 in the same form factor with a lower output impedance, and the second is the current version. I know there were artwork problems with the original 100 and 120 since I owned both of them. But I thought they remedied that issue with the current 100 II and 120 II.

Versions, I have the latest.

Jan 31, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #8,091 of 9,131

Versions, I have the latest.

Supposedly, your album artwork has to be 500x500 pixels or smaller for the A&K to display it, at least that was what I was told by iriver

Jan 31, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #8,092 of 9,131

Supposedly, your album artwork has to be 500x500 pixels or smaller for the A&K to display it, at least that was what I was told by iriver

I have no idea what size any of them are. Every player I have owned has had some not display properly, its seems so random which work, but like I said, I dont know which size any are.

Jan 31, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #8,093 of 9,131

I have no idea what size any of them are. Every player I have owned has had some not display properly, its seems so random which work, but like I said, I dont know which size any are.

Well, with a tag editor, you can extract the artwork and then with Preview on the Mac, and a similar program on Windows, you can determine the size of the artwork. Also, the file format may not be .jpg which most DAPs to my knowledge are looking for.

Feb 1, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #8,094 of 9,131

Well, with a tag editor, you can extract the artwork and then with Preview on the Mac, and a similar program on Windows, you can determine the size of the artwork. Also, the file format may not be .jpg which most DAPs to my knowledge are looking for.

I did some looking with a editor, I have some art thats bigger than the 500x500 that does show up. So, album art working is just plain weird.

Feb 1, 2016 at 8:39 AM Post #8,095 of 9,131

I did some looking with a editor, I have some art thats bigger than the 500x500 that does show up. So, album art working is just plain weird.

I've also come across Artwork that wouldn't display because the extension was .png

Feb 1, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #8,096 of 9,131

Well, the 240 doesn't have this issue, at least in my experience. All 8,000+ of my songs display artwork. All the reason more to consider an upgrade. 
wink_face.gif

Feb 1, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #8,097 of 9,131

I've also come across Artwork that wouldn't display because the extension was png

As I'm sure you already know, you can easily convert .png to .jpg files ...

Feb 1, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #8,098 of 9,131

Well, the 240 doesn't have this issue, at least in my experience. All 8,000+ of my songs display artwork. All the reason more to consider an upgrade. 
wink_face.gif

I had a 240 for testing, I dont remember if all the artwork displayed properly. I ended up using the 120II I had at the same time over the 240, since the 240 didn't sound better enough to justify the price.

Feb 1, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #8,099 of 9,131

As I'm sure you already know, you can easily convert .png to .jpg files ...

Yeah, I know. What made it a mystery for a while is, the Artwork was embedded and I stumbled upon the .png extension by accident. I thought I'd pass it on as a possible suspect, if all else fails. Sometimes I'm too anal about metadata.

Feb 1, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #8,100 of 9,131

wink_face.gif

That's one of many things, the 240 does flawlessly. Tags (even .wav, which many players are clueless about) are no problem. If only iRiver (A&K) would stop inhaling solder fumes 
confused_face_2.gif
when it's time to set up pricing (but that's another story).  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back