The Astell & Kern AK240
Jan 28, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #8,071 of 9,131

popcorn.gif
     This is why I'm hesitant to update from 1.15.  I want to since I install every single other update for my electronics.

Well, that's not good to hear. Hopefully, others too will bring this to the attention of A&K and a fix will be in the offing.

Quote:

As posted yesterday, I sent an email to Jimmy Moon, describing the problem I was having. This morning I received a reply back, stating that he would forward the problem to the R&D team.

Thanks Chew!!!!

Jan 28, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #8,072 of 9,131
Yes, thank you. It will be interesting to hear what Jimmy says ...

Jan 28, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #8,074 of 9,131
  Yes that is an extremely common issue with the rotary encoder that controls the volume.  I've sent mine to Vinnie twice already to install a new encoder.  I'm getting ready to send it in to him a third time to replace the rotary encoder yet again.  That is probably the main reason to have your AK240 modded.  You can deal with Vinnie when it comes to repairs.  Dealing with Astell & Kern, well good luck hearing back from them.  I wish I could find another DAP that meets all my needs like the AK240 and never have to deal with all these A&K issues, but I can't seem to find one that I like as much.  

This is pretty unacceptable from a $2500 DAP.  Doubly so if it's been a known issue for a long time and hasn't been fixed in subsequent production runs.  I haven't had any problems with mine, but I haven't had it all that long.

Noob question: who is Vinnie?

Jan 28, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #8,075 of 9,131

This is pretty unacceptable from a $2500 DAP.  Doubly so if it's been a known issue for a long time and hasn't been fixed in subsequent production runs.  I haven't had any problems with mine, but I haven't had it all that long.

Yes the rotary encoder is a real problem with the 2nd gen AK, and something that should be fixed a long time ago. It's pretty embarrassing as a "premium" product. The encoder on AK380 felt quite good, but I wonder how long that one lasts for.

As shown on my previous posts, I fixed it myself, so for me a good opportunity to buy the AK240 second hand for a bargain. There's many that's out of warranty now, with the dodgy volume knob, so people sell it of rather quickly.

Jan 28, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #8,076 of 9,131

Totally unacceptable that the manufacturer will not respond to any emails sent.  I have a dead AK240 that I'm using as a paperweight. 

Jan 28, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #8,077 of 9,131

Vinnie is from http://redwineaudio.com/.  He mods AKs and other players,

Jan 28, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #8,078 of 9,131

Yes the rotary encoder is a real problem with the 2nd gen AK, and something that should be fixed a long time ago. It's pretty embarrassing as a "premium" product. The encoder on AK380 felt quite good, but I wonder how long that one lasts for.

As shown on my previous posts, I fixed it myself, so for me a good opportunity to buy the AK240 second hand for a bargain. There's many that's out of warranty now, with the dodgy volume knob, so people sell it of rather quickly.

Totally unacceptable that the manufacturer will not respond to any emails sent.  I have a dead AK240 that I'm using as a paperweight. 

If I'd known this stuff before I bought mine, I wouldn't have bought it.  All I saw were the formal reviews, which were all glowing and of course wouldn't pick up a durability issue like this.

Jan 28, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #8,079 of 9,131

Vinnie is from http://redwineaudio.com/.  He mods AKs and other players,

Thanks.  Potentially useful knowledge, it sounds like. :frowning2:

Jan 29, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #8,080 of 9,131

If I'd known this stuff before I bought mine, I wouldn't have bought it.  All I saw were the formal reviews, which were all glowing and of course wouldn't pick up a durability issue like this.

Often the initial round of "professional" reviews are done with circulating free loaner machines, so they can't be writing too harshly. The real value of a product only emerges after the early fad is gone and there's abundant second hand supply, like now.

In any case, the volume knob issue is something that takes time to emerge, so I can't blame the early reviewers for not picking up on that.

I still think the AK240 is a nicely packaged DAP with 256GB internal storage, balanced out, native DSD, lossless network streaming, etc.. etc..

On a different note, my friend just gave me the most discreet carry case for AK240. It fits perfectly, and yet nobody would ever think of stealing it!
At least no audiophile would...
biggrin.gif

Jan 29, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #8,081 of 9,131
I have tried my AK240 with a 200Gb micro SD card.  While it initially worked, subsequently it gave a damaged SD card message and would not read it.  If I removed it and tested it in a PC it reported there were no errors.  I did run chkdsk anyway and then it worked again, but the next say I had the same issue with it working initially and then after I turned the AK240 back on after it had automatically shut off then it gave the same damaged message again.

Jan 29, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #8,082 of 9,131
  I have tried my AK240 with a 200Gb micro SD card.  While it initially worked, subsequently it gave a damaged SD card message and would not read it.  If I removed it and tested it in a PC it reported there were no errors.  I did run chkdsk anyway and then it worked again, but the next say I had the same issue with it working initially and then after I turned the AK240 back on after it had automatically shut off then it gave the same damaged message again.

My 200GB card has worked flawlessly. Did you format the card before storing music on it? The 240 formats it to FAT32, so check that to make sure.

Jan 29, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #8,085 of 9,131
  Could anyone comment on the actual battery life of the AK240? Does it achieve the rated ~14 hours?

Eight hours for me, but half my collection is 24/96, 24/192, and DSD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back