The Astell & Kern AK240
Aug 22, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #7,666 of 9,131
Two things: first, one of the nicest changes is how quickly my microSD card is scanned. Where it took a minute or two before, it's now scans in less than 10 seconds; second, what is to become of the MQS Streaming function and app? Doesn't seem to be needed any more with AK Connect other than if I want to use my Mac as a server. I would expect there to be an AK Connect app for my Mac just as there is for my iPhone.

Regarding sound quality differences, it is really impossible for me to gauge since I just replaced my LCD-2.2s with AKT5ps. My new headphones certainly sound better than my old ...

Aug 22, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #7,667 of 9,131
  Two things: first, one of the nicest changes is how quickly my microSD card is scanned. Where it took a minute or two before, it's now scans in less than 10 seconds; second, what is to become of the MQS Streaming function and app? Doesn't seem to be needed any more with AK Connect other than if I want to use my Mac as a server. I would expect there to be an AK Connect app for my Mac just as there is for my iPhone.

Regarding sound quality differences, it is really impossible for me to gauge since I just replaced my LCD-2.2s with AKT5ps. My new headphones certainly sound better than my old ...WJ​

JWbrent, how do you like the akt5p?

Aug 22, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #7,668 of 9,131
  JWbrent, how do you like the akt5p?

I really like them a lot, better than the LCD-XCs and LCD-2.2s. The bass texture, in my opinion, is better than both and the upper mid clarity is exceptional; I'm still expecting improvements since I only have 100 hours on them. The soundstage width is impressive for a closed back, maybe a bit better than the XCs, but I can't say for sure since when I owned them, I had a regular 240.

I bought mine from Ted at teds headfood here on headfi, so if you decide to try them out, give him a shout—he's a great guy to do business with.

Aug 23, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #7,669 of 9,131

I really like them a lot, better than the LCD-XCs and LCD-2.2s. The bass texture, in my opinion, is better than both and the upper mid clarity is exceptional; I'm still expecting improvements since I only have 100 hours on them. The soundstage width is impressive for a closed back, maybe a bit better than the XCs, but I can't say for sure since when I owned them, I had a regular 240.

I bought mine from Ted at teds headfood here on headfi, so if you decide to try them out, give him a shout—he's a great guy to do businesstTknahT​

Thanks for the feedback, it is on my list.

Aug 23, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #7,670 of 9,131
Anyone notice cooler operating temps after FW upgrade?

Aug 23, 2015 at 4:16 AM Post #7,671 of 9,131

No, not really, mine warms up just as before.

I just got my stock AK240 back from repair a couple of days ago, already with v1.25.
What I do notice is that, when used as an USB DAC with Windows 10, I get random click noises during playback, about every 5-10 seconds or so. I have reinstalled the driver but the problem is still there. Has anyone had this or other issues with Win 10?

Aug 23, 2015 at 7:37 AM Post #7,672 of 9,131
Hi guys

Newbie question here.
I am looking for portable audio player and can't wrap my head around the following.
AK240 uses CS4398 chip and FiiO X3 2nd gen is also using CS4398 chip,
but Astell costs like 10 times more. How so?

For sure AK240 offers more features, more visually beautiful etc, but isn't 
DAC one of the most important parts of the player perfomance wise? 
It is like 2 laptops having same CPU but one cost $1k and other $15к.
Want to figure out what I am missing here.

Thanks

Aug 23, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #7,673 of 9,131
There's more to these than just the processor.  Also I think the FiiO is made in China and the AK is made in Korea - big difference in labor costs.  Other than those factors, it appears that iRiver is not shy about gouging the market for all it's worth.

I'd look around Head-Fi for anyone who's done a direct comparison of the two.  OR, you could get both of them from a dealers who have open return policies and do the comparison yourself.  Keep the one you like and return the other.

Aug 23, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #7,674 of 9,131
  Hi guys

Newbie question here.
I am looking for portable audio player and can't wrap my head around the following.

Thanks

The implementation of the DAC(s) in a DAP is also important, since an amplifier is used in conjunction with the DAC chips. I haven't done a direct comparison between the Fiio X3II and the AK240, but I have compared it with an AK100 II, and I have found the latter a little more resolving, with slightly better clarity throughout. Going up the chain, the AK120 II sounds a little better than the AK100 II, and many have found differences between the AK240 and the AK120 II. It's up to you to decide if the upgrades are worth the near 10-fold increase in price. For me, the AK240 approaches the pinnacle of portable audio listening, surpassed only by its own bigger brother, the AK380. And, no, the Chord Hugo doesn't count as a portable. 
wink.gif

Aug 23, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #7,675 of 9,131

No, not really, mine warms up just as before.

I just got my stock AK240 back from repair a couple of days ago, already with v1.25.
What I do notice is that, when used as an USB DAC with Windows 10, I get random click noises during playback, about every 5-10 seconds or so. I have reinstalled the driver but the problem is still there. Has anyone had this or other issues with Win 10?

I started having trouble with static / clicking with the 240 playing as a DAC. The only solution was to get a powered USB hub for my problem as the issue was caused by poor power output from my mobo. Oddly enough it didn't start right away but developed over a month.

Hi guys

Newbie question here.

Thanks

Implementation of a DAC is huge. First of all the AK240 has a lot of other features. I haven't had a direct comparison between the X3 gen 2 but I owned the AK120 and Fiio X5. The AK240 is better by far than both of those. The X5 was more sterile and cold with less detail and soundstage than the 120 and the 240 is just a direct improvement over the 120 (besides some coloring changes)

If the X3 gen 2 is anything like the X5 it will definitely not hold up to the AK240

Aug 23, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #7,679 of 9,131
I mostly need more ears. It's nice to be able to switch DAPs, I also like using my iPods with CL DACs but I have to say I use the AK120II most of all, followed by the DX90 and then the AK240

Users who are viewing this thread

Back