The Astell & Kern AK240
Mar 18, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #6,916 of 9,131
In my opinion, tranports are not made equal and Hugo is best fed using a desktop PC with quiet USB ports (you can AB using usb isolator to confirm if the port is quiet or not) playing highres PCM files. I dont have much luck using DAP as digital transport. Lastly, I have briefly tried QLS QA360 as toslink tranport using sysconcept cable, and the sound is fine.

Mar 18, 2015 at 4:21 AM Post #6,917 of 9,131
  In my opinion, tranports are not made equal and Hugo is best fed using a desktop PC with quiet USB ports (you can AB using usb isolator to confirm if the port is quiet or not) playing highres PCM files. I dont have much luck using DAP as digital transport. Lastly, I have briefly tried QLS QA360 as toslink tranport using sysconcept cable, and the sound is fine.

Have not seeing you active in those threads that you used to be in...welcome back.

Mar 18, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #6,918 of 9,131
I just canceled my order for the ZX-2 and ordered a AK240 SS...my hands are trembling at spending so much...

What exactly are the differences between the ak240 and ak240SS? Is it really noticeably better?

Yes the SS should wear better as the original was and is not scratch proof :see_no_evil: ....I hope you like your purchase should sound great I'm only like :see_no_evil: because being I haven't heard the ZX2 yet but seen the review as well as know a little about the guy who did it on enjoythemusic.com as he was a real fan of the AK240 and after the review with the ZX2 besting it well I mean it's still a great choice I owned two just feel like the ZX2 coming out of the box working with Tidal and more is a plus ....and bonus if it sounds as good or better too....but you made a good choice either way I personally don't feel like you will be disappointed in any way I think you will be surprised and delighted by the sound so enjoy the ride ☺️

Mar 18, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #6,919 of 9,131
My very first DAP purchase, and it's an AK240SS with Ted Allen Silver Litz cables for my Shure SE846 IEMs! Well, I sure jumped right into the deep end. LOL

Mar 19, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #6,921 of 9,131
My very first DAP purchase, and it's an AK240SS with Ted Allen Silver Litz cables for my Shure SE846 IEMs! Well, I sure jumped right into the deep end. LOL

Congratulations!

I'm with you there as wel buddy, this time last year I was using Shure se 535's and a iPhone....

Now I have JH Roxannes, toxic cable on the way, a AK240 SS and a ZX2 on the way ....( going to return one)

Also really debating between k10's and Layla, going order one of those this month....my wallet hurts

I guess the good thing about being divorced is there is no one to nag about my completely irresponsible spending!

Mar 19, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #6,922 of 9,131
I am hoping this is it. I really love the Shure SE846s. The only thing that made me shy away from the Sony NW-ZX2 is the fact that it is impossible to get output impedance figures for it. With my IEMs being 9 ohms, that concerned me. I still have my wife, my oldest daughter and quadruplet teenagers at home, so I had to save for quite some time.

Mar 19, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #6,923 of 9,131
A senior marketing manager from A&K will be showing prototype of some new product in Hong Kong next week (source)...maybe the successor to the 240?

P.S.: The poster says 2014.3.24... the organiser didn't even bother to proofread it 
rolleyes.gif

Mar 19, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #6,925 of 9,131
wheeeeee all ye slaves to AK's whims go set forth and prostrate and throw your $3-4000s down at their feet for the latest... AK240II? 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 19, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #6,930 of 9,131
  A senior marketing manager from A&K will be showing prototype of some new product in Hong Kong next week (source)...maybe the successor to the 240?

P.S.: The poster says 2014.3.24... the organiser didn't even bother to proofread it 
rolleyes.gif

this why so many are selling their ak240

Users who are viewing this thread

Back