The Astell & Kern AK240
Aug 28, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #5,116 of 9,131
Generally I listen to music on my ipod 3+ hours a day when I'm out. Being able to last at least 24hrs means that I can forget about charging it for a week and just turn it on/off whenever I need to. I don't want another device like a smartphone that I have to plug in and charge every(other) day. Frankly, its annoying.

Totally agree, but it's worse having a charged phone and the amp dies out. Or a fully charged amp w a dead/dying phone. Got tired of having phone connected to cables left and right stacked and charging. It's a mess :)

Aug 29, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #5,117 of 9,131
After reading you guy's experiences of hifi daps, I think I'll go with a beyerdynamic a200p to pair with my iphone 5s, since I charge my phone everyday anyways. The AK daps are too chunky for my tastes
biggrin.gif

Aug 29, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #5,119 of 9,131
After reading you guy's experiences of hifi daps, I think I'll go with a beyerdynamic a200p to pair with my iphone 5s, since I charge my phone everyday anyways. The AK daps are too chunky for my tastes:D

Yea the AK10/beyer a200p is a good starting point and if that's all you need then you just saved yourself thousands of dollars :)

Aug 29, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #5,120 of 9,131
Some new Toys from Ted Allen-

I have silver litz cables (SE846)  with RSA/ALO termination for my RSA intruder.  I have copper litz cables (W60) with RSA/ALO termination for my RSA intruder.  In walks the AK240.  My goal was to create sonic options so I ordered 3 cables.

1.  Copper Litz RSA to AK240 adapter.  I did not want to reterminate.
2.  Silver Litz RSA to AK240 adapter. ditto.
3.  AK240 blanced output to RSA balanced input connector.

It was a crazy good price...Kudos Ted.

Now I have lots of different options in front of my to play with to find my favorite sound.  So far, the W60 through balanced copper litz plus adapter is the portable choice.  However, using the AK240 to RSA intruder to balanced silver litz SE846 is also spectacular for those that don't mind carrying a stack.  I plan to explore the different setups over the next couple weeks and will report back.

Here is a quick picture-

Aug 29, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #5,121 of 9,131
Aug 29, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #5,122 of 9,131
  Generally I listen to music on my ipod 3+ hours a day when I'm out. Being able to last at least 24hrs means that I can forget about charging it for a week and just turn it on/off whenever I need to. I don't want another device like a smartphone that I have to plug in and charge every(other) day. Frankly, its annoying.

Just buy a HiSound Studio V 3rd Anniversary..... You can listen non stop for 60 hours plus.. not hi res though...

It is a good sounding player. 

Aug 29, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #5,123 of 9,131
Just buy a HiSound Studio V 3rd Anniversary..... You can listen non stop for 60 hours plus.. not hi res though...

It is a good sounding player. 

Or, you can try the teraplayer

Aug 29, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #5,124 of 9,131
Anybody tried aedle vk1? http://www.headfonia.com/reference-class-portable-aedle-vk-1/
Considering if I should pair these with the ak240.. I tried it last time but the cranial squeeze was really distracting.. Want to give another go though.. Would these be a better option than an 846? (I imagine not but I have to play the devil here). Just got rid of my momentums so looking for a replacement to take the ak240 to the next level..

Aug 31, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #5,125 of 9,131
Anybody tried aedle vk1? http://www.headfonia.com/reference-class-portable-aedle-vk-1/
Considering if I should pair these with the ak240.. I tried it last time but the cranial squeeze was really distracting.. Want to give another go though.. Would these be a better option than an 846? (I imagine not but I have to play the devil here). Just got rid of my momentums so looking for a replacement to take the ak240 to the next level..

A word of caution, the Adele Vk1 is not a step up from the 846, I got to try them a few weeks back at my local store and they sounded rather sub par, worse than the beyer T51p, or the B&O line of headphones. If you're looking for a decent pair of headphones try the NAD HP50 or the beyers, the vk-1s are pretty to look at, nice to the touch, but do not sound good.

Regarding pairing with the 240 i had not tried that, but i really doubt a good source can fix the sound of the vk-1s.

Aug 31, 2014 at 2:19 AM Post #5,126 of 9,131
Another vote for the t51p for a warm bassy closed portables. Pair very well with the AK240. Not sure about the B&Os as they didn't sound revealing or transparent enough to me.

Aug 31, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #5,127 of 9,131
A word of caution, the Adele Vk1 is not a step up from the 846, I got to try them a few weeks back at my local store and they sounded rather sub par, worse than the beyer T51p, or the B&O line of headphones. If you're looking for a decent pair of headphones try the NAD HP50 or the beyers, the vk-1s are pretty to look at, nice to the touch, but do not sound good.

Regarding pairing with the 240 i had not tried that, but i really doubt a good source can fix the sound of the vk-1s.

A good source can make a good IEM/headphone sounds its best but not fixing the deficiency for those with average performance.

My learning over my long history in this hobby is that you need to build your set up regardless of home fi or head fi you need to start with the speakers/headphone end to build the system around it

Aug 31, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #5,128 of 9,131
A good source can make a good IEM/headphone sounds its best but not fixing the deficiency for those with average performance.

My learning over my long history in this hobby is that you need to build your set up regardless of home fi or head fi you need to start with the speakers/headphone end to build the system around it

Hmmmm.. I would have said it was exactly the opposite way around from my experience. I have always started with a great source and amplification and then matched the speakers. It's a little like having a Terra Player and then discovering the awesome synergy it has with the 1 Plus 2 or perhaps an AK240 with the Balanced DITA (awesome according to Rudi).  On the other hand, it depends what you already own... If you have great speakers or phones you obviously want to give them the best source and amplification (by best i mean synergistic).

Aug 31, 2014 at 4:26 AM Post #5,129 of 9,131
  Hmmmm.. I would have said it was exactly the opposite way around from my experience. I have always started with a great source and amplification and then matched the speakers. It's a little like having a Terra Player and then discovering the awesome synergy it has with the 1 Plus 2 or perhaps an AK240 with the Balanced DITA (awesome according to Rudi).  On the other hand, it depends what you already own... If you have great speakers or phones you obviously want to give them the best source and amplification (by best i mean synergistic).

You've proofed that it works the other way around and that's great.   Hopefully our experience would help others.  Great.  Cheers

Aug 31, 2014 at 5:34 AM Post #5,130 of 9,131
Initial impressions (paired with Earsonics EM6):

1. Physical build and quality is superb i.e at least on par with an iPhone and I would say higher quality as the body is more complex. The box, the leather case and the AK240 itself all scream high end.

2. Sound quality surpasses anything I've heard in compact form: Audioquest Dragonfly; Meridian Explorer and it seems better than my Ayre QB9 (but I've still to compare the AK240 with the QB9 and my top of the line STAX system - more about this later).

3. No doubt the DAC has high resolution processing any file format and delivering clear instrument separation and lots of detail. Also easy to notice by ear the diferences between CD quality and high resolution files. Sound signature seems well extended with clear treble and no complaints about lack of bass.

4. Loading the device with music files is easy. It connects to my Mac via android file transfer and then it's drag and drop. Occasionally the connection between the Mac and the AK240 is interrupted but it's an easy fix by unplugging the cable and reconnecting.

5. For those using Mac - Android File Transfer it should be mentioned that this Google program is very basic e.g allows to transfer files between the computer and the AK240 but doesn't allow to reorganize the AK240 so - plan before you start randomly dropping files in the AK240.

6.Interface / user experience very good. Simple, well organised, it works.

7. Drives easily any IEM and other low impedance headphones. I've tried my Earsonocs EM6 and my Grado RS1 - both work great. High impedance headphones will require an external dedicated amp. Needless to say that it's pointless to buy an AK240 and then use cheap / low quality headphones.

8. Good value for money despite the high price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back