The Astell & Kern AK240
Aug 13, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #4,891 of 9,131
Anyone hoping for Dignis to release the newer AK version cases can forget about that and also for any future AK devices :frowning2:
Apparently all the cases you see bundled with the newer gen AK are supplied and made by Dignis, so they are contracted with AK and not allowed to sell on their side..

Aug 13, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #4,892 of 9,131
  Is it just me or does the 240's bass sound weaker with battery at low charge?  Also possibly not as dynamic sounding with low battery?  
confused.gif

I have thought that a couple of times too. I generally don't let the battery get very low though.
I don't know anything about the technical side of the amp stage but i wouldn't have thought low battery affected the output power so perhaps it's our imagination.

Aug 13, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #4,893 of 9,131
Confirmed.  The bass is punchier and boomier with battery almost fully charged.  This is the reason why my impressions has been going back an forth regarding it's dynamic.  When the battery was way low, I didn't think it sounded as dynamic.  Now with battery at 77%, closer to full charge, it's up to it's potential.  This could also be reason why when connected to USB it sounded better.  

Aug 13, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #4,894 of 9,131
  Is it just me or does the 240's bass sound weaker with battery at low charge?  Also possibly not as dynamic sounding with low battery?  
confused.gif

Not sure if this is the case. 

However, the amp section does draw power from battery and has a buffer of capacitors to store its power and this is the area that Vinnie made his modification to the 240 to give the RWA more reserved power.  So, if this is the path of where the power gone through and it should not have the low battery problem except you consistently drawn high power.

Aug 13, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #4,895 of 9,131
  not antagonizing in any way but when I listened to both, i arrived at exactly the opposite conclusion in that i found the 240 to be more analytical lol

I agree with headwilier. When I try both AK120II and AK240, I found AK240 is warmer and smoother than the 120II. I was targeting AK100/120 II but ended up bought an AK240 because of that.... 
eek.gif

Aug 13, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #4,896 of 9,131
All these differences could be due to different phones being used. AK's output impedance isn't that low, and it can probably change the response slightly depending on what phones are used. It's probably not so concrete given different phones are used.  I'm curious if my NT6 will sound bright if the output impedance was nearly 0.  I'm thinking the output impedance is taming the treble a bit, which I think works out well from what I'm hearing.  It's plenty detailed to my ears because of the fine treble it outputs.

Aug 14, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #4,897 of 9,131
In order to get a comprehensive comparison of the DAPs, phones of different types of drivers should be tested with the DAP.  Also phones of differing impedance characteristic, sensitivity should be tested out to get a better idea of how each DAP reacts with types of iem loads.

Aug 14, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #4,898 of 9,131
Anyone hoping for Dignis to release the newer AK version cases can forget about that and also for any future AK devices :frowning2:
Apparently all the cases you see bundled with the newer gen AK are supplied and made by Dignis, so they are contracted with AK and not allowed to sell on their side..

This had already been the case since the AK120.... the only known alternative now is the cheaper taobao Chinese workshop Easecase

Aug 14, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #4,902 of 9,131
  +...Overcome the 120ii's storage...128GB microSD is now available and you only need to carry a couple to reach the same storage capacity as the 240 

To be honest , 64GB to 80GB is more than enough for me , I purchased about 35GB of Hi- Res and ripped around 40 CDs in WAV/ FLAC/ ALAC and AIFF, I don't need that much storage to stay unused. I'm a music addict but I have a social life too !

Aug 14, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #4,904 of 9,131

I will be waiting for your comparison between the AK120II and the AK240, I am very interested to hear more opinions on the differences :)

not antagonizing in any way but when I listened to both, i arrived at exactly the opposite conclusion in that i found the 240 to be more analytical lol

Yup, I heard conflicting comments on ak240 vs ak120II therefore I hope to hear my opinions as I haven been able to get enough listening time on the ak120ii yet.

You guys' seen this??  LINK

Aug 14, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #4,905 of 9,131

Yup I saw this, both reviewers listed AK240 as being best, followed by AK120, AK120II is behind AK120 which is surprising. But of cos the context in which it was written by both reviewers explained why. I am still surprised though. I would think the AK120II would be better than the AK120 as it is supposed to supersede the older model.

Things mentioned in the article set me thinking as mentioned in one of the reviews that the AK120II is supposed to be the lower end of the AK240 so it cannot sound as good if not better than the flagship model. I am curious about the design and tuning process at iRiver aka Astell&Kern. It seems to me that the design and tuning process involved making the AK100II and AK120II to sound inferior than the flagship AK240.

Shouldn't manufacturers design and tune each product to be their best based on a set budget based on the market category that a particular product is intended for?

Ok I know Im rambling on like a whiney old man, I haven really spent much time on the AK120II at the local store, not set on buying it or not as I purchased my AK120 just recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back