The Astell & Kern AK240
Apr 24, 2014 at 4:49 AM Post #2,776 of 9,131
  Hi all,

The new firmware for the AK240 (V1.11) is now available via OTA download.

The changes to this firmware can be found at the following link:

http://www.iriver.com/company/notice_view.asp?sno=80&irTop=0

Thanks

super.

do you have Any idea if other MQS music service provider than  "groovers"  will be available, like Qobuz ?  

I would love to be able to stream High-res music (& download them eventually) with my Qobuz abonement 
biggrin.gif

Apr 24, 2014 at 5:02 AM Post #2,777 of 9,131

super.

do you have Any idea if other MQS music service provider than  "groovers"  will be available, like Qobuz ?  

I would love to be able to stream High-res music (& download them eventually) with my Qobuz abonement 
biggrin.gif

Hi,

Qobuz is definitely coming to the AK240 as a download/purchase service so you can buy/download 24bit content straight to the device. This is something currently in development and should be ready hopefully towards the end of May at the Munich show. The qobuz streaming service is also something which is being considered but will follow at a later date.

Thanks

Apr 24, 2014 at 5:03 AM Post #2,778 of 9,131
Thanks a lot. very helpful: now It's UI is almost on par with the (supposed) Calyx "M" UI.  

- Is the "album art" presentation only available in the "album" function ?  Or does it also show album art thumbnails in other part of the UI, like for example when showing the content of a playlist or in "genre" or " artits" or "Folder "

- Is the scroll still zappy when using "album art" ? or does it show lags..

Thumbnails are to be found in Artists and Genres views as well, once you reach an Album list view. No thumbnails in the Folders view.

Once you open an Album list view and quickly scroll down, you see icons instead of the thumbnails, but the player loads the thumbnails in a fraction of a second once you stop or slow down scrolling. While it is doing this, scrolling slows down a little bit, but I wouldn't say it's laggy, it's still perfectly reactive. Think of it to a slowdown similar to the one you get while it is scanning Media. You notice it just because everything else is perfectly fluid. Once it doesn't have to load more, scrolling feels as fluid as without thumbnails.
This with music stored in the player's memory, haven't tried putting stuff into a MicroSD card yet.

Apr 24, 2014 at 5:08 AM Post #2,779 of 9,131
Hi,

Qobuz is definitely coming to the AK240 as a download/purchase service so you can buy/download 24bit content straight to the device. This is something currently in development and should be ready hopefully towards the end of May at the Munich show. The qobuz streaming service is also something which is being considered but will follow at a later date.

Thanks

What about some DLNA streaming, or even better some solution for streaming from a NAS on the go (wifi hotspots, ...)? Is something in the works?
While the MQS thing is nice, having to leave my PC on isn't the best solution.

Apr 24, 2014 at 5:49 AM Post #2,780 of 9,131
What about some DLNA streaming, or even better some solution for streaming from a NAS on the go (wifi hotspots, ...)? Is something in the works?
While the MQS thing is nice, having to leave my PC on isn't the best solution.

Hi,

I asked about this at the time of release of the AK240 and was told it's something they're considering but would entail heavy software development costs. I'll ask again to see if there is any update on the progress.

Regards
Steph 

Apr 24, 2014 at 5:53 AM Post #2,781 of 9,131
Hi,

I asked about this at the time of release of the AK240 and was told it's something they're considering but would entail heavy software development costs. I'll ask again to see if there is any update on the progress.

Regards
Steph 

Well, there are plenty of solutions on the Android platform, maybe an agreement with one of those software's devs would do it. Maybe it wouln't feel as integrated as a native iRiver solution, but at least that would work. :)
It's actually a bit silly to see their fear for high development costs, considering what they charge for their products.
Anyways, thx for letting me know! :)

Apr 24, 2014 at 6:06 AM Post #2,782 of 9,131
Well, there are plenty of solutions on the Android platform, maybe an agreement with one of those software's devs would do it. Maybe it wouln't feel as integrated as a native iRiver solution, but at least that would work.
smily_headphones1.gif

It's actually a bit silly to see their fear for high development costs, considering what they charge for their products.
Anyways, thx for letting me know!
smily_headphones1.gif

You're welcome, if I hear any further news on the development of this i'll be sure to let you know.

Apr 24, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #2,783 of 9,131
Thumbnails are to be found in Artists and Genres views as well, once you reach an Album list view. No thumbnails in the Folders view.

Once you open an Album list view and quickly scroll down, you see icons instead of the thumbnails, but the player loads the thumbnails in a fraction of a second once you stop or slow down scrolling. While it is doing this, scrolling slows down a little bit, but I wouldn't say it's laggy, it's still perfectly reactive. Think of it to a slowdown similar to the one you get while it is scanning Media. You notice it just because everything else is perfectly fluid. Once it doesn't have to load more, scrolling feels as fluid as without thumbnails.
This with music stored in the player's memory, haven't tried putting stuff into a MicroSD card yet.

Thanks a lot.

And NO Thumbnail when we open a "playlist" ? :frowning2:

Apr 24, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #2,784 of 9,131
  Thanks a lot.

And NO Thumbnail when we open a "playlist" ? :frowning2:

Do you mean the file list when you open a playlist? Nope, no thumbnails there.

Apr 24, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #2,785 of 9,131
I agree, but can't imagine how much they would ask for it :astonished:

Hmm...looks like it's the same one which is supposed to work on both AK100 and AK120, model is IAA01. Only place I saw it so far is http://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/product/iriver-iaa01-remote-control-for-ak100-and-ak120?utm_source=getprice&utm_medium=cpc, doesn't cost that much by iRiver standards :)
Edit: saw this on a german shop as well for 59.90eur. Looks like this is going to be available in a couple of weeks.

Apr 24, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #2,787 of 9,131

Do you mean the file list when you open a playlist? Nope, no thumbnails there.

thanks.

It's a pitty that they did not upgraded the whole interface.

Apr 24, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #2,789 of 9,131
  Hi,

Thanks

Steph86, thanks for your quick & honest reply. Re. Streaming, since Qobuz streaming is not for near future, will it be other European streaming sites accesibles before Qobuz ?

Re. new Firmware, great that Album Arts are now displayed in Album, Genre & Artist modes, but... why not in a playlist or a Folder ?  No thumbnails when you open a playlist !

-->  can you try to suggest this in the development schedule ? or... is there a specific reason for now having Thumbnails displayed in a playlist or in Folder mode ?

thanks 

Apr 25, 2014 at 3:35 AM Post #2,790 of 9,131

Steph86, thanks for your quick & honest reply. Re. Streaming, since Qobuz streaming is not for near future, will it be other European streaming sites accesibles before Qobuz ?

Re. new Firmware, great that Album Arts are now displayed in Album, Genre & Artist modes, but... why not in a playlist or a Folder ?  No thumbnails when you open a playlist !

-->  can you try to suggest this in the development schedule ? or... is there a specific reason for now having Thumbnails displayed in a playlist or in Folder mode ?

thanks 

Hi,

With regards to the schedule of other streaming services other than Qobuz I haven't been informed about any alternative in development - the reason for this i'd assume is because Qobuz currently have the largest catalogue of FLAC and 24Bit content in the world.  

I'll certainly relay back your questions regarding thumbnails in the playlist screen and folder mode - i'll ask them to include in a future update unless there is an underlying obstacle which we are not aware of, i'm sure they'll inform me upon request.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back