The Astell & Kern AK240
Jan 6, 2014 at 5:54 AM Post #136 of 9,131
It won't sound better than a modded 120 with an intruder amp... no doubt they might upgrade the DAC's but they'll be on par with what Red Wine would have in the RW-B and its internal amp won't be a stand in next to a 71B so my money says the RW-B + ALO/RSA amp combo will outdo this smarmy new device... I still want one of course .lol. Wondering if iRiver have even taken measures to make it tamper proof or something.... if its not got TRRS or a balanced out and there's no room to squeeze one in then it's lost the battle.

Also, it will probably have a focus on video hence the larger screen, no reason for a large screen if you're not going to be watching videos, imagine if its got some Android based OS with browsing! .lol.

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #137 of 9,131
Let's see what comes out in terms of pricing and if they "deliver the goods".

After trying out the AK120 I'm not holding my breath as it's SQ couldn't beat the explorer - yes the explorer is not a DAP. But it is a Meridian and $299 brings you better sound - so the $899 difference goes to portability and convenience? Won't be surprised to see many competitors crowd this space very soon... You can milk it for short term profits or look for longer term sustainable profits. No proprietary parts, mostly OEM parts, huge margins - perfect for price wars and crowded competitors soon.

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #138 of 9,131
It won't sound better than a modded 120 with an intruder amp... no doubt they might upgrade the DAC's but they'll be on par with what Red Wine would have in the RW-B and its internal amp won't be a stand in next to a 71B so my money says the RW-B + ALO/RSA amp combo will outdo this smarmy new device... I still want one of course .lol. Wondering if iRiver have even taken measures to make it tamper proof or something.... if its not got TRRS or a balanced out and there's no room to squeeze one in then it's lost the battle.

Also, it will probably have a focus on video hence the larger screen, no reason for a large screen if you're not going to be watching videos, imagine if its got some Android based OS with browsing! .lol.

Yep I agree. If not balanced and with the upgraded dual chips they really have missed something.

When you say make it tamper proof, do you mean to try stop vinnie and all from Mods?? I would have thought the opposite. If I was iriver he would be the first on my Christmas card list and a huge hamper delivered. I would bet my last dollar they have each mod available to see how done, what done and results. Then we supply the customer feed back. They get free R&D and our comments.

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #140 of 9,131
True .lol. Made a comment about the device not doing 32bit float .WAV and the next firmware it could do 32bit! Was kind of them.

Tamper proof as in Vinnie had to squeeze in a TRRS, not sure if a new model would have adequate squeeze room for a line out if it doesn't come with one already... read that post they made trying to put people off from modifying the device. I'm lucky I didn't go for the Vinnie mod just yet as mine has crappy software issues and isn't reading files so it needs to go back to iRiver for repairs.... might ask if they can ship me a 240 in return.
biggrin.gif

Jan 6, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #143 of 9,131
"Astell & Kern will introduce tomorow a sleek new flagship model, the Wi-Fi-enabled AK240, which can stream music from a computer on the same network, and connect directly to online stores that sell hi-res tracks."

From FB page.

Jan 6, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #144 of 9,131
  "Astell & Kern will introduce tomorow a sleek new flagship model, the Wi-Fi-enabled AK240, which can stream music from a computer on the same network, and connect directly to online stores that sell hi-res tracks."

From FB page.

AHHHH I don't like this WIFI stuff !  I prefer a plain & superbe player than a complex device !  but... we will see...

Jan 6, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #145 of 9,131

From FB page.

Translation:

Android   (?)

Jan 6, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #146 of 9,131
Jan 6, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #148 of 9,131
What are you guys on about...Android is superb and getting better all the time.

Jan 6, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #149 of 9,131
can I at least tweet with this?

@LivingStereo SACD sounds so awesome on my #AK240

biggrin.gif
Sorry, I am a terrible tweeter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back