The Astell & Kern AK120
Oct 29, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #4,172 of 7,071
  I like the design or it, looks neat and all but you wouldn't notice any harm was being done as its not in your hand, it'd probably be on the dock over long periods of time unlike the devices it is intended to be used for.... would rather something similar that didn't use magnetics to hold it, AK's holder is very over priced for what it is and I would not go near it.

Or something, not very desktop perhaps... nice if something could hold  the DAP and an Amp.

I think the AK120 alloy body is magnetics proof (?) -  you can't just put AK120 on the magnet as it would NOT stick - you need a thin plate that comes with the holder which is inserted in side the AK120 leather case.
Hope this stand would not do any harm to the AK120 internal as I really like it.
Yes - The AK's holder is too expensive for what it is.

Oct 29, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #4,173 of 7,071
I asked them about the docking cradle on their Facebook page. Unfortunately it only works with the leather case removed. I never take mine out of its case so won't bother with the stand. To be honest I don't use it with my computer other than for transferring files so a stand is not needed any way.

Oct 30, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #4,175 of 7,071
Awesome dock 
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 30, 2013 at 6:22 AM Post #4,176 of 7,071
Is real sweet looking, the magnetic holder... even better that it utilizes the case, would still be too weary of it though.

A&K's holder is WACK, its expensive also.... am guessing that they think they can fleece people considering the price tag of their devices. I'd rather a block of well crafted wood with a USB cable cut into it.

I do not understand why they built it without any power supply. So still it is only a fancy USB cord.

The device charges via USB, it also works as an external drive and DAC through its USB port so its all that's needed really. This should have freed them up enough to create a better design, something like that magnetic one but minus the magnet.... am not sure how well batteries fare with magnetics.

Perhaps if someone contacts them and asks? Really is a cool holder.

Oct 30, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #4,177 of 7,071
Well, I have to say that I am impressed with the customer service from Astell & Kern. I left three separate questions via email and each one of them was answered separately the next day.

It turns out that the reason I couldn't drag and drop the folders was because I was trying to do it from the desktop and I needed to open the actual libraries and drop them into the Iriver app.

I have been a long time skeptic of the FLAC files and now that I'm listening to them through this device I am astounded by the sound of clarity!

Oct 30, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #4,181 of 7,071
As I said in my last post, the biggest issue I have with the cradle is that it cannot be used with the case in place. I have yet to see anyone use it without the case.

I wonder also if there is a firmware update on the horizon to sort out album art on DSD. I still get none even though the last update was meant to sort that!

Oct 30, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #4,183 of 7,071
I must admit I like the buttons the way they are. I guess they remind me of the old days with my walkman cassette players so I find them intuitive to use in that respect.

Oct 30, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #4,184 of 7,071
I must admit i am all green from envy, lovely images, which camera and lens you used, love tack sharp focus, colors and silky blurred background.

Oct 30, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #4,185 of 7,071
I must admit i am all green from envy, lovely images, which camera and lens you used, love tack sharp focus, colors and silky blurred background.

Glad you like it.
It's Canon 5D Mk3 with 24-70mm f2.8L II lens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back