The Astell & Kern AK120
Oct 21, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #4,142 of 7,071
Received my RWAK120-B this evening......wish the kids would hurry up to sleep so I can have a test listen
smily_headphones1.gif
. (Hope if has some charge :0

Awesome Kerry

Look forward to reading your thoughts on the B mod ...........

Oct 21, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #4,144 of 7,071
On side note. Wife spoke to police earlier. They have clear picture of Middle Aged lady in post office just walked up to package, picked it up and walked out!!! They have circulated her picture around.....never know, could get it back.

Oct 21, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #4,145 of 7,071
With tg334 I was using 37/75 outdoors, and around 30 indoors for most tracks.

With hybrids like 1p2 or asg2, I was using 45/75 outdoors and around 40 indoors.

And I don't have sensitive ears and already can't hear anything above 18k
frown.gif

Why is it too loud?

For the 1p2, I set 33-35/75 for night listening and 38-40 outdoors.
For the Asg2, around 30/75 for night listening and 35-37 outdoors as the isolation is very good.

Oct 21, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #4,147 of 7,071
Frank, what type of music are you listening to? Modern recordings or older ones? Low teens, crickey, You must have Bat hearing! :D

Oct 21, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #4,148 of 7,071
Frank, what type of music are you listening to? Modern recordings or older ones? Low teens, crickey, You must have Bat hearing!
biggrin.gif

Lol - believe it or not I'm in my 50's trying to hold off hearing loss.  Too many loud concerts back in the day, you know?  But only the AK120 I mostly listen to purchases from HDTracks, mixture of Rock/Classical.  Often for classical I need to raise the volume since they can have such a large dynamic range.  But for rock - both of recent and older vintage - I find that 20ish is loud enough.  I usually start out louder and find that I gradually reduce the volume as each level seems to become a little uncomfortable until I'm around the 20 mark.  I wonder if it has something to do with having RW mod?  Lower output impedance -> greater volume at same level as unmodded?  Plus I think the IE800's are fairly sensitive.

Oct 23, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #4,149 of 7,071
Ah Frank, thats two of use old codgers here on the forum then! I hit 50 next month!

On other news. I know lots of folks use their iPad chargers already with no ill effect but I also know there have been a few that have said it might be too powerful to use.

So I phoned A&K's office in the US this morning to find out definitively.

Firstly, how refreshing, right through to a human being and a really helpful and knowledgable one at that!

So the official answer is YES We can use the iPad charger to charge the A&K players with no ill effects. Not to doubt those who already do but when it comes to expensive things like this I like to get it from the horses mouth!

Oct 23, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #4,150 of 7,071
Ah Frank, thats two of use old codgers here on the forum then! I hit 50 next month!

On other news. I know lots of folks use their iPad chargers already with no ill effect but I also know there have been a few that have said it might be too powerful to use.

So I phoned A&K's office in the US this morning to find out definitively.

Firstly, how refreshing, right through to a human being and a really helpful and knowledgable one at that!

So the official answer is YES We can use the iPad charger to charge the A&K players with no ill effects. Not to doubt those who already do but when it comes to expensive things like this I like to get it from the horses mouth!

Thanks for checking on the IPad charger.  I often bring my IPad when traveling, so that's one less charger to bring.

And don't worry about turning 50 - it's not bad at all!  Especially when you have all that nice gear to enjoy!

Oct 23, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #4,151 of 7,071
I'm 54 next month. I guess the AK120's for old guys!

Oct 23, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #4,152 of 7,071
On side note. Wife spoke to police earlier. They have clear picture of Middle Aged lady in post office just walked up to package, picked it up and walked out!!! They have circulated her picture around.....never know, could get it back.

Don't feel to bad. Mine's gone as well. Taken from a bag where I work.

Oct 23, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #4,154 of 7,071
I left mine in the seat back pocket on an airplane. Fortunately I realized it by the time I got to the gate and a very nice Delta employee ran back in and retrieved it for me. You can't let a $1.2K player out of your sight for a second.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back