The Astell & Kern AK120
Jul 19, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #2,686 of 7,071
You can always switch back to 1.00, it has been posted. I have it otherwise. In my opinion 1.00 sounds too dark and congested and 1.32 is significantly better in terms of SQ plus you get USB DAC and DSD (this I really couldn't care less).

Have an ak120 and UE18 pro iem. The two sound amazing together (coming from hifiman801 fwiw). Anyhow I just received an RSA Intruder and moon audio balanced cable. First listen with Intruder in the signal path was far less compelling than I'd hoped. Don't like it. Am wondering if this is normal? Is moving to balanced that different? Any others experience something similar? Thx

For me is a YES. The latest FW 1.32 is better than all the old one.................................
L3000.gif

Hi All

I am agree with Mimouille and Jeremy1234
Fw 1.32 is the best firmware to date for AK 120
Better resolution in all frequencies , better bass detail and impact , very clear and clean midrange
High is more extended and more detail, wider soundstage .

Mimouille :
Can we use fw 1.32 AK 120 for our AK 100 ?

Jul 19, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #2,690 of 7,071
Quote:
I already posted the differences I hear. They are slight but as I said the sound is smoother particularly in the upper registers. Volume has also gone down (not as much gain I assume)? So I basically raise the volume higher on 1.32. The bass also seems to have a little more texture to it & possibly just a tad more quantity. The mids also seem to have slightly more room to breath (more contrast). Note I am not saying these differences are night and day. To me night and day would be going from 1.00 to 1.21 or was 1.23 lol? But these differences are noticeable to me.
wink.gif

On a plus note if you don't hear any differences you still benefit from your SD card slots not disappearing on you every time you load music to the player and eject.
smily_headphones1.gif

I hear the same changes.
DSD "softer" and not as "rough."

Jul 19, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #2,691 of 7,071
Hi all!
I am a newbie planning to get the AK120, but struggling on the IEM choices between SE846 and IE800... Pls share your thoughts? Though the SE846 is not released yet. Many many thanks in advance!!!

Jul 19, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #2,692 of 7,071
Response to Cameron NYC re: AK120 + Intruder.

I don't know about the Intruder, but with the RSA SR-71a and the AK120 I find the SQ to be perfect.  It is tonally rich, excellent soundstage, great dynamics, virtually no noise, pitch black background and if I close my eyes I can see myself in the studio listening as the album is being recorded.  The bass is open, extended, transparent but still powerful; the midtones are rich, relaxed but complete and not at all recessed or sluggish; the treble provides an excellent soundstage and is vibrant and detailed without even a hint of being overly bright.

Jul 19, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #2,693 of 7,071
bunchi99, an alternative choice, I have a pair and highly recommend them.

Frogbeats C4s.  They are full spectrum from deep bass to excellent mids and trebles and despite having a different sound signature are, I would suggest about 80-90% the quality of my Ultrasone Edition 8s.

http://customs.frogbeats.com/frogbeats-c4

The logo is ugly, I agree, but you can get them without the logo.

Jul 19, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #2,694 of 7,071
bunchi99, an alternative choice, I have a pair and highly recommend them.

Frogbeats C4s.  They are full spectrum from deep bass to excellent mids and trebles and despite having a different sound signature are, I would suggest about 80-90% the quality of my Ultrasone Edition 8s.

http://customs.frogbeats.com/frogbeats-c4

The logo is ugly, I agree, but you can get them without the logo.

Thank you for the suggestion! I have no idea of the brand but the link helped! Is C5 much better in your opinion? I know it's very personal about IEM, but how would you compare it to the IE800? Thx!

Jul 19, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #2,695 of 7,071
I am from Hong Kong. Never into music really, mostly listen to pop on iphone5 with a pair of Sony xba2, n a Klipsch S4, n between the 2 I actually prefer the Sony... I m a camera person so while I was searching for second hand lenses named Kern Macro Switar, I stumbled upon the Astell&Kern AK100, suddenly had an urge to want to give it a try, a very strong urge in fact, so I have been reading a bit, very basic stuff really. Though not well off, far from it actually, but would like to buy the AK120 n a decent pair of IEM, so started looking. Never understood the impedance 8x factor thing, the 3omh on the AK120 seems not fulfilling the 8x factor if using either SE846 or IE800, but it seems most ppl said they are good couplings; so I decided to get one of them. The AK120 n IE800 are readily available, while the SE846 needs 3 weeks wait if I place order tmr; therefore the big struggle... The frogbeats would take a while too since I can only order online and wait for its delivery... I dun really have huge preference on any song type but always enjoy jazz n wanna give classic a shot. Any more recommendations for the IEM? You guys are so pro here which my question might be boring... But would really appreciate any personal thoughts! Many thx again!

Jul 19, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #2,696 of 7,071
O, btw, I dun intend to use amp, nor headphone, prefer to listen on the go therefore just the AK120 n an IEM. Thx!

Jul 19, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #2,698 of 7,071
I tried the AK100 with the SE535R n Klipsch X10, though the sales said the X10 is better I found the Shure more of what I like; would it possibly imply that I might like the SE846 more than IE800? Though I had a bit of problem putting on the Shure... Lol

Jul 19, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #2,699 of 7,071
Quote:

Maybe a result of the DSD to PCM conversion?  Or maybe the DSD files are softer to begin with...

Hi!
DSD conversion to PCM 88.2.
1.30 DSD sounded very "rough".
1.32 DSD sounds better.
I do not think that will be a big difference between flac and dsd with the transformation in pcm, even on a portable player. To a large extent, a marketing ploy iriver.
Just as a rule, DSD - more quality musical material than homemade rips flac.
I just convenient to throw their music in dsd format for ak120 or look similar to music in flac

Users who are viewing this thread

Back