The Astell & Kern AK120
Jul 8, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #2,281 of 7,071
Quote:

I'm just curious though Mimou. Seems like so many patches floating around it's confusing the hell out of me. Also factoring in these files are varying in size... Once I blew the file up from zip it matches the same file size as Listrid 2.0 yet burtomr says its not.... 
confused_face(1).gif

Lee - if you use Windows, download this free program: http://winmerge.org/.  It's called WinMerge.  It will tell you if 2 files are identical.  It integrates with the windows shell, so you can select 2 files, right click, and select WinMerge.  It will bring up the WinMerge window and immediately show a dialog box if they are the same.

Just one quick way to tell if files are the same.  Opening the files in WinMerge will NOT change them.  It's a free tool I found for exactly this purpose.

Jul 8, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #2,284 of 7,071
I'm about to pull the trigger on new CIEM's to pair with my AK120.  I currently have custom Shure se535's but want to try something else.  My non-portable headphones are Sennheiser HD600's.

I've pretty much narrowed to Westone es5, JH16, and Heir 8.a.

I listen to all kinds of music:  classical, jazz, and rock

I'm sure it all comes down to listener preference, and people generally think what they have is hands down the best.

Having said that, I would greatly appreciate some input.

Thanks,
Harry

Jul 8, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #2,286 of 7,071
I'm about to pull the trigger on new CIEM's to pair with my AK120.  I currently have custom Shure se535's but want to try something else.  My non-portable headphones are Sennheiser HD600's.

I've pretty much narrowed to Westone es5, JH16, and Heir 8.a.

I listen to all kinds of music:  classical, jazz, and rock

I'm sure it all comes down to listener preference, and people generally think what they have is hands down the best.

Having said that, I would greatly appreciate some input.

Thanks,
Harry
What I have is the best. just get that. More seriously, what sound sig do you want?

Jul 8, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #2,287 of 7,071
Just unboxed my brand new AK120! (First in Norway, I think.) I did around one hour A/B testing in the audio store with my Fostex HP-P1, using two sets of Fostex TH900 headphones. (One connected to AK120 and the other HP-P1)

It was pretty obviuos from the start that AK120 was better in many aspects. It had a larger sounstage, less sibliant highs, and better separation. The bass wasn't sounding as deep as HP-P1, but had better defined texture.

The guy who work at Audio Norge (the audio store) also tested this setup. He had just received the first batch of AK120s. We both ageeed that AK120 was better than HP-P1.

Now I'm only waiting for the device to fully charge, and then I'm off to audio nirvana. :)

I'll post more detailed impressions in a couple of days.

Jul 8, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #2,288 of 7,071
Posting few thoughts on pairings:

All on 1.21

AK120 + TH900 = Excellent. Positively surprised at how it sounds without an amp
AK120 + 1plus2 = Excellent. I think this is the IEM version of TH900
AK120 + Shure SE535 = Not impressed. The whole sound signature lacked depth and punch
AK120 +  DT770 = Very poor
AK120 + JH13 IEM (test pair  - not custom tipped) = Very good

Jul 8, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #2,289 of 7,071
Quote:
Posting few thoughts on pairings:

All on 1.21

AK120 + TH900 = Excellent. Positively surprised at how it sounds without an amp
AK120 + 1plus2 = Excellent. I think this is the IEM version of TH900
AK120 + Shure SE535 = Not impressed. The whole sound signature lacked depth and punch
AK120 +  DT770 = Very poor
AK120 + JH13 IEM (test pair  - not custom tipped) = Very good

Hi do you have the TH900 with long cord? I was thinking about getting it but don't the long cord..I like normal cord with 3.5 jack without adaptors.
Can you recomand if Momentum is very good match with AK120? Is it worth replacing the cable ? Also I am in south London too, can I please listen to TH900?
Thanks
Levi

Jul 8, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #2,290 of 7,071
My pairing is AK120 with the Fitear TG334 (Universal IEM's) and its == audio shangrila (to my ears).

Jul 8, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #2,291 of 7,071
Quote:
My pairing is AK120 with the Fitear TG334 (Universal IEM's) and its == audio shangrila (to my ears).

Have you compared this combo to any other DAPs? You wouldn't happen to have an iPhone to compare it against? I'm currently eyeing the AK120 for my TG334. Unfortunately there's nowhere to audition where I live.

Jul 8, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #2,292 of 7,071
I have been on Headfi for few years now and I want to say that never seen so many new members buying the same DAP.
Congratulations to all new owners of the iRiver Astell&Kern AK120 music player.
What a joy, sound and amazing build quality.
                                                                                                                           --musicday--

Jul 8, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #2,293 of 7,071
Quote:
Have you compared this combo to any other DAPs? You wouldn't happen to have an iPhone to compare it against? I'm currently eyeing the AK120 for my TG334. Unfortunately there's nowhere to audition where I live.

Hi,

I have tried the following with the results indicated

TG334 + AK100 = Very good (with mixed lossy and lossless tracks)
TG334 + Idevices (iphone, ipad and ipod classic) = good (even thought mostly with lossy tracks

and at the risk of repeating myself AK120 + TG334 = unbelievable

Note : this is to my ears, my sensibilities and my music, so audition would be the best route forward. 

PS - the thing I appreciate most about the TG334 is its ability to shine through no matter the source or the quality of tracks

Jul 8, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #2,294 of 7,071
Hi do you have the TH900 with long cord? I was thinking about getting it but don't the long cord..I like normal cord with 3.5 jack without adaptors.
Can you recomand if Momentum is very good match with AK120? Is it worth replacing the cable ? Also I am in south London too, can I please listen to TH900?
Thanks
Levi

Yes, mine is the long cord one and I have a converter at the end to 3.5mm. I haven't tried it with the momentums unfortunately, sorry!

Ref: comparison to iPhone posted later. I love my ak120 but fact is the following - I tried a 256k (apple match) file through both the ak120 and the iPhone and I couldn't spot any difference. On the 1plus2 I sensed the bass being a bit different but other than having to increase the volume a little bit more on the iPhone I could not hear any other difference.

Now switch to an ALAC or a 256 (on iPhone) vs flac, yes, then the ak120 stretches its muscle. And that it does well.

I guess it's not a surprising result - if you have any thing less than 320kbps files, you will be hard pressed to find value in the ak120.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back