The Astell & Kern AK120
Jul 6, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #2,221 of 7,071
Well with the help of burtomr I was able to load the Listrid 2.0 firmware on the AK120. Supposedly that is a port of the AK120 firmware. Strangely enough it didn't fully replace the 1.11 firmware I have on my unit. It is still listed as 1.11 and I still have my DAC function. But A/B the sound has changed for me and for the better. The vocals are more forward and the depth of the sound staging has most definitely improved. Very much liking this sound. Not sure if this is the exact sound of the 1.00 firmware but I feel it is on par with it if not better than before :). Thank you burtomr for this. Basically you have to rename the hex file from AK100 to AK120 and it will load. I went back and forward a few times to verify the differences and indeed I am enjoying the sound noticeably more with the 2.0 firmware loaded.

Jul 6, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #2,222 of 7,071
Well with the help of burtomr I was able to load the Listrid 2.0 firmware on the AK120. Supposedly that is a port of the AK120 firmware. Strangely enough it didn't fully replace the 1.11 firmware I have on my unit. It is still listed as 1.11 and I still have my DAC function. But A/B the sound has changed for me and for the better. The vocals are more forward and the depth of the sound staging has most definitely improved. Very much liking this sound. Not sure if this is the exact sound of the 1.00 firmware but I feel it is on par with it if not better than before :). Thank you burtomr for this. Basically you have to rename the hex file from AK100 to AK120 and it will load. I went back and forward a few times to verify the differences and indeed I am enjoying the sound noticeably more with the 2.0 firmware loaded.

This is encouraging. Good job burtomr for finding the tweat and reaching out to us who is trying to go back... THANKS and will try this soon.

Jul 7, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #2,224 of 7,071
Do you have 1.11 firmware? I can give you the downloads in PM if needed.

Thanks Lee I have. Will report back as soon as I manage to switch!

Jul 7, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #2,225 of 7,071
Re closed headphones:  I have honestly found the combination of AK120 with my T5P's to be the most amazing portable sound experience I have ever had - I am even hearing new things in songs, which has not happened for a long time. Amazing player, and not the least bit bass light (for my ears).

Using firmware 1.21, but will try listrid 2.0 today 
popcorn.gif
(is one allowed to self-popcorn?) 

Jul 7, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #2,227 of 7,071
That's the same adapter I used with my DX100. So, The AK120 DOES support native (exFAT) 128GB.  I have 2 of those adapters.  So, theoretically, I could put 2 x 128GB SDXC cards in for a total of 320GB storage!!

The bottom line, assuming it works when I test it with the card filled up, is that when 128GB microSDXC cards do come out, they should work in the player.

I'm in pretty much the same boat - this is extremely good news and my thanks to you good sir for your experimenting :)

Jul 7, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #2,229 of 7,071
Kerry, I have the Listrid 2.0 firmware shared from a dropbox folder. If you have a search back through the AK100 thread it should be in there, if not pm me and I will send you a link. The only reason I'm not posting it here now is because I'm sat on a train and can't immediately access it.

Would anyone mind PMing me the 1.11 firmware? Am I correct in presuming we need it as a base firmware, before installing the renamed Listrid 2.0 hex?

Jul 7, 2013 at 4:52 AM Post #2,230 of 7,071
Kerry, I have the Listrid 2.0 firmware shared from a dropbox folder. If you have a search back through the AK100 thread it should be in there, if not pm me and I will send you a link. The only reason I'm not posting it here now is because I'm sat on a train and can't immediately access it.

Would anyone mind PMing me the 1.11 firmware? Am I correct in presuming we need it as a base firmware, before installing the renamed Listrid 2.0 hex?

Thanks for help. Ill take a look. Any specific instructions or will I find that in the other thread? Thanks.

Jul 7, 2013 at 4:58 AM Post #2,231 of 7,071
;
Quote:

Send my you email, I will wetransfer it to you. But I think Listrid works as a patch on ANY firmware.

Jul 7, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #2,234 of 7,071
Quote:
Re closed headphones:  I have honestly found the combination of AK120 with my T5P's to be the most amazing portable sound experience I have ever had - I am even hearing new things in songs, which has not happened for a long time. Amazing player, and not the least bit bass light (for my ears).

Using firmware 1.21, but will try listrid 2.0 today 
popcorn.gif
(is one allowed to self-popcorn?) 

Planning to organise demo with Fostex TH600 and T5p once I get the AK120 thanks for the info

Users who are viewing this thread

Back