The Astell & Kern AK120
Jun 30, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #2,011 of 7,071
Just give us the previous firmware and ensure it can be downgraded would solve this for most.

beerchug.gif

Jun 30, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #2,012 of 7,071
Quote:
Noted. Does it happen with iPod etc? Genuine question
biggrin.gif

If you have a Clip+, and then install the Rockbox firmware, there is an audible difference in the sound because Rockbox fixes  the incorrect  playback speed of the Sansa firmware. So yes, firmware can indeed change the sound, even in the mainstream devices.

Jun 30, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #2,013 of 7,071
Newbie to the forums, just wanted to tell the posters on this thread thanks for the info you have been providing as it helped me make a decision to buy the AK120. Just received it on Friday (along with W4R iem's) and I am extremely pleased with the operation and SQ.

Only issue I've had at all was figuring out where to navigate to get the language to change on the screen to English (just poked commands until I found it). Absolutely no issues otherwise.

Also picked up the Pelican 1010 box and it is like it was designed to hold the AK120  or vice versa.
normal_smile .gif

Jun 30, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #2,014 of 7,071
Quote:
Newbie to the forums, just wanted to tell the posters on this thread thanks for the info you have been providing as it helped me make a decision to buy the AK120. Just received it on Friday (along with W4R iem's) and I am extremely pleased with the operation and SQ.

Only issue I've had at all was figuring out where to navigate to get the language to change on the screen to English (just poked commands until I found it). Absolutely no issues otherwise.

Also picked up the Pelican 1010 box and it is like it was designed to hold the AK120  or vice versa.
normal_smile .gif

Welcome to the club and sorry about your wallet.
Enjoy the AK120 is a really good DAP, and W4R are great too.
Levi

Jun 30, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #2,015 of 7,071

normal_smile%20.gif

Excellent choice! Congrats and welcome. Listening to the exact same combo just 15 mins ago :)
Btw, if you find yourself enjoy the W4R, make sure get a demo of the Fitear To Go! 334. I upgraded to these a year ago from W4R and couldn't be happier!

Jun 30, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #2,017 of 7,071
Quote:
Ok......no laughing about my question 
o2smile.gif

As a DAC using my MAC, will all programs run thru it? In other words, will it act as a DAC whether iTunes, Firefox, or a DVD etc is playing, for all audio?

The sound will go trough the AK120 internals, if that's what you want to know. Plus you can play music up to 24/96 trought the laptop and listen to iRiver .

Jun 30, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #2,018 of 7,071
Quote:
Ok......no laughing about my question 
o2smile.gif

As a DAC using my MAC, will all programs run thru it? In other words, will it act as a DAC whether iTunes, Firefox, or a DVD etc is playing, for all audio?

Quote:
The sound will go trough the AK120 internals, if that's what you want to know. Plus you can play music up to 24/96 trought the laptop and listen to iRiver .

That was it thanks Music.......
beerchug.gif

I've got a bunch on new CDs which I need to listen to see what get's added to the library.

Jun 30, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #2,019 of 7,071
Ok......no laughing about my question :o2smile:

Yes, go to sound preferences and select iriver ak120 as output device when it's connected.

Jun 30, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #2,021 of 7,071
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, go to sound preferences and select iriver ak120 as output device when it's connected.

Thanks!!! 

It's not showing up. I connected as both USB device and Removable Disk. What am I doing wrong?

The DAC function is only in the firmware 1.21.
Is that what you've got or you have the old 1.00?
My Inear Stage Driver SD3 should arrive tomorrow, can't wait, to try it with AK120.

Jun 30, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #2,022 of 7,071
Quote:

Quote:
Thanks!!! 

It's not showing up. I connected as both USB device and Removable Disk. What am I doing wrong?

Quote:
The DAC function is only in the firmware 1.21.
Is that what you've got or you have the old 1.00?
My Inear Stage Driver SD3 should arrive tomorrow, can't wait, to try it with AK120.

and there tis! 1.00 is what I am using. Since there is so much brouhaha about the other FWs I will be happy just using as a DAP. I have my transportable Audio~gd 11.32 which I will use........Mahalos

Jun 30, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #2,025 of 7,071
Be sure to check your OS too.  My Snow Leopard is not supported by the dac although it will work to download files.  All my software works so well i haven't wanted to upgrade it to Lion or Mountain Lion and have a glitch in something.  I have dacs anyway but kind of a bummer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back