The Astell & Kern AK120
Jun 27, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #1,936 of 7,071
Quote:
I haven't had the pleasure of connecting the AK120 as a USB DAC to a Linux machine, but as long as you can set the audio output device as the AK120, I don't think you should have trouble using the AK120 as a USB DAC to your Ubuntu machine.

Thanks for the response JMoon, unfortunately it doesn't appear to work. Would it be possible to ask one of your colleagues in the tech department whether or not this should be possible? 

Cheers

Jun 27, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #1,937 of 7,071
Quote:

Thanks for the response JMoon, unfortunately it doesn't appear to work. Would it be possible to ask one of your colleagues in the tech department whether or not this should be possible? 

Cheers

Hopefully you've not tried this, but what is the output if you run "dmesg | tail" in a terminal just after plugging it in?  Does lsmod list snd-usb-audio?  I remember that adding a USB dac to ubuntu it worked, but didn't set itself as the default device.  Sorry if you're not a newbie and you already know about these things
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 27, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #1,938 of 7,071
Evening all.

Just wondering if anyone here uses Linux, specifically Ubuntu?

I have a small laptop I was planning to use purely for music that has Ubuntu on it and I was hoping to use my AK120 as a USB DAC with it. Just wondering if anyone had had any joy doing so?

I can't answer regarding the AK120, but my iBasso D7, D12 and DX100 are recognized just fine by my Ubuntu OS.

Jun 27, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #1,942 of 7,071
What protocol/solution does the AK120 use for its USB audio functionality? Async. USB? XMOS?

Pekingduck I think I read somewhere you had used an xmos usb to spdif converter. How do you like it? Any sissues or jitters in the output?

Jun 27, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #1,945 of 7,071
Quote:
Who wants to send me one?   Whatever I do to it to improve it will be FREE to the person who sends me one.  At the very least, I want to lower that
output impedance if possible.  But I'm hoping there is room for more good things to come!  
smile_phones.gif
   (and yes I'll pay for the return shipping).  

Email me (vinnie@redwineaudio.com) instead of PM.  

Thanks,

Vinnie

Back in page #6

Jun 27, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #1,948 of 7,071
For now I am only using my DAC's digital out with the HM901. I suppose it's working fine since the sound signature is pretty much unchanged. Pretty sure it's not XMOS but some proprietary solution. My other cheap converter doesn't even work with the 901 for some unknown reason.

Not planning on buying the AK120 anytime soon but am kind of curious how good AK120's USB implementation is.

Quote:
Pekingduck I think I read somewhere you had used an xmos usb to spdif converter. How do you like it? Any sissues or jitters in the output?

Jun 27, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #1,949 of 7,071
Quote:
I take you like it very much then? Do you still have your RWA unit to compare it to?

Yeah I'm really liking the 120... I've probably only spent a couple hours A/Bing the ak120 and the rwa100, but to me, the ak120 takes everything I liked about the 100 and makes it more three dimensional.

Whether its worth the ridiculous premium is entirely up to the buyer.

How much better it can get is up to Vinnie @ Red Wine Audio 
wink_face.gif

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #1,950 of 7,071
For now I am only using my DAC's digital out with the HM901. I suppose it's working fine since the sound signature is pretty much unchanged. Pretty sure it's not XMOS but some proprietary solution. My other cheap converter doesn't even work with the 901 for some unknown reason.

Not planning on buying the AK120 anytime soon but am kind of curious how good AK120's USB implementation is.

I think the AK120 usb dac implementation is quite good. Might get a xmos converter and compare them a bit...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back