The Astell & Kern AK120
Jun 19, 2013 at 5:49 AM Post #1,561 of 7,071
Quote:
Just played a couple of songs, sounds good.

look forward to your views Mimo...
popcorn.gif

Jun 19, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #1,564 of 7,071
Getting a full charge was difficult for me too, but my unscientific tests show that when I use an Ipad charger (more amps) it is considerably quicker than anything else I have, so I have switched to just that.

Jun 19, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #1,566 of 7,071
Quote:
Getting a full charge was difficult for me too, but my unscientific tests show that when I use an Ipad charger (more amps) it is considerably quicker than anything else I have, so I have switched to just that.

Standard USB port on PC is about ~400mA, iPhone charger is ~1000mA iPad charger is ~2100mA.  I also always charge with the iPad charger.

Jun 19, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #1,568 of 7,071
No, mobile devices has an internal charger that manage the charging voltage. It will disconnect the power when the battery is full.

Is there any danger of damaging the battery by using a higher amp charger?

Jun 19, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #1,569 of 7,071
Look what I got ! Just played a couple of songs, sounds good. The difference is very important with AK100 mod ORIGINAL firmware, less so with Listrid 2.0. But overall I would say more authority and note weight than AK100 mod. I just listened to a couple of songs though...and apparently the player need a bit of burn in. So my AK100 mod is going for sale.

Congrats Michael

Firmware 1.00 vs 1.21

Fw 1.00 :
High : slightly less detail compare to fw 1.21
Mid : more body and forward and slightly less clarity compare 1.21
Bass : has better low bass but a bit slower compare fw 1.21
Soundstage : is slightly narrow but better depth compare fw 1.21

Fw 1.21 :
High : slightly better detail and clarity
Mid : is not so forward but less body compare to fw 1.00
Bass : better detail and faster and cleaner compare to fw 1.00
Soundstage : wider than fw 1.00

For direct. Dap Ak 120 is better use fw 1.00
For dap AK 120 + Amp is better use fw 1.21

This is IMO

Jun 19, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #1,570 of 7,071
My AK120 arrived at about 11am today. I have to say that the overriding impression with this little device is one of real quality. Coming from an HM-801 and DX100 I could scarcely believe how petite it is. Although I'd prepared myself for this, I didn't really believe that the tiny little box the post-lady was holding could accommodate the AK120 box I'd seen on the internet about a thousand times; I thought it was something my wife must have ordered!

I know it cost shed-loads of money but from the point-of-view of ergonomics, aesthetics and desirability, it's everything I hoped it would be.

I had copied a whole load of flac 16/44.1s and some 24/96s to a micro sd card so I could do a quick comparison with the DX100. But the thing is, the sound is slightly different so on one track I'd start thinking, "oh no, what have I done" and then I'd think, "actually, that sounds lovely"! The long and short is that I have absolutely no regrets. I've hardly taken out my Miracles all day (apart from the odd conference call - work is such an intrusion to serious listening!). I did find the bass rather lean at first but  honestly, within an hour it had filled out nicely, and now is very balanced. I am really enjoying the sound. It's detailed, spacious and very smooth (un-fatiguing).

I think it's really amazing that something so small can produce such lovely sound. I tried the line-out in my car earlier and was impressed; the DX100 line-out has always been a disappointment to me. Certainly the HM-801 was much better than the DX100.

Anyway, I need to focus on listening to ELP's Tarkus now. If you've never heard of that then I envy your youth.

Thank you all for your valuable comments on this super little machine, and helping me decide to spend a fortune! (anyone want to buy an 801 and/or DX100? :)

Cheers,
Tony

Jun 19, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #1,571 of 7,071
I am sad, my AK 120 hasn't even been sent out and I spoke to them on the phone.I am really disappointed with audioaffair uk.
They said they will send it out today and email me the tracking number, but they didn't.
Bye the way this is trough finance wich been approved and I paid 20% already.
After all is just 4 hours from here to Birmingham.
Any ideas? By the way...they have not responded to any of my emails, and I have paid since Saturday and they approved Monday.

Jun 19, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #1,572 of 7,071
Quote:
My AK120 arrived at about 11am today. I have to say that the overriding impression with this little device is one of real quality. Coming from an HM-801 and DX100 I could scarcely believe how petite it is. Although I'd prepared myself for this, I didn't really believe that the tiny little box the post-lady was holding could accommodate the AK120 box I'd seen on the internet about a thousand times; I thought it was something my wife must have ordered!

I know it cost shed-loads of money but from the point-of-view of ergonomics, aesthetics and desirability, it's everything I hoped it would be.

I had copied a whole load of flac 16/44.1s and some 24/96s to a micro sd card so I could do a quick comparison with the DX100. But the thing is, the sound is slightly different so on one track I'd start thinking, "oh no, what have I done" and then I'd think, "actually, that sounds lovely"! The long and short is that I have absolutely no regrets. I've hardly taken out my Miracles all day (apart from the odd conference call - work is such an intrusion to serious listening!). I did find the bass rather lean at first but  honestly, within an hour it had filled out nicely, and now is very balanced. I am really enjoying the sound. It's detailed, spacious and very smooth (un-fatiguing).

I think it's really amazing that something so small can produce such lovely sound. I tried the line-out in my car earlier and was impressed; the DX100 line-out has always been a disappointment to me. Certainly the HM-801 was much better than the DX100.

Anyway, I need to focus on listening to ELP's Tarkus now. If you've never heard of that then I envy your youth.

Thank you all for your valuable comments on this super little machine, and helping me decide to spend a fortune! (anyone want to buy an 801 and/or DX100? :)

Cheers,
Tony

Tony,
Try listening to those same files in WAV. You'll probably be blown away!

Jun 19, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #1,573 of 7,071
Quote:
I am sad, my AK 120 hasn't even been sent out and I spoke to them on the phone.I am really disappointed with audioaffair uk.
They said they will send it out today and email me the tracking number, but they didn't.
Bye the way this is trough finance wich been approved and I paid 20% already.
After all is just 4 hours from here to Birmingham.
Any ideas? By the way...they have not responded to any of my emails, and I have paid since Saturday and they approved Monday.

Maybe they are waiting for stock re-fill. Don't know honestly. Maybe the service is slow but you will get your purchase soon I believe.

Jun 19, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #1,575 of 7,071
Quote:

if that's the case they should of told him they were out of stock and at least had the decency to contact him... good luck Music hope it gets resolved soon mate.

I know they should have told him but maybe they played a gamble, either losing reputation from delivering late or putting item on sale without having it in stock. Both ways, I wish luck to our mate, hope he will get his DAP soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back