The Astell & Kern AK120
Jan 19, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #7,036 of 7,071
I am with you on this. But i think this is definitely because of pairing. I used Ibasso IT04 + Mojo (stacked with phone or Fiio M5). Can't really like the combination's signature. Then my friend lend me his AK120, paired it with iT04. I suddenly felt an urge to buy an AK120 for my self. The pairing is just too good. More PLEASING than Mojo pairing. Now I got an AK120 Titan. Really happy with my decision not to get mojo and go with Ak120 Titan. This pairing will definitely last for years.

The combo might be even better with the Mojo in between the Titan and iT04. Can you test that?

Jan 19, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #7,038 of 7,071
You mean stack AK120 Titan via optial output to Mojo? That's interesting.. I'm in doubt mojo would have different sound signature with this stack. But I'll try that and will surely give update.

Yes, Titan via optical out to Mojo. It is said to be a very good DAC.
I look forward to hearing your results!

Jan 19, 2020 at 11:29 PM Post #7,040 of 7,071
anything connected before the Mojo will just be a transport right? So whether it is a phone or an AK120, it will still be using the Mojo as DAC.

Correct.

Jan 21, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #7,041 of 7,071
I am with you on this. But i think this is definitely because of pairing. I used Ibasso IT04 + Mojo (stacked with phone or Fiio M5). Can't really like the combination's signature. Then my friend lend me his AK120, paired it with iT04. I suddenly felt an urge to buy an AK120 for my self. The pairing is just too good. More PLEASING than Mojo pairing. Now I got an AK120 Titan. Really happy with my decision not to get mojo and go with Ak120 Titan. This pairing will definitely last for years.

I got myself a questyle cma400i and after that a chord Qutest and still.. im grabbing my 120 every now and then.. this thing is quite unbeatable!

Jan 21, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #7,043 of 7,071
So true :)
Wolfson is magic !

Mezzo Soprano mod is amazing moreover

Feb 11, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #7,044 of 7,071
I'm sure this has been answered before...can anyone confirm if the AK120ll supports 256Gb memory cards?

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2020 at 4:40 AM Post #7,045 of 7,071
May 29, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #7,047 of 7,071
I'm writing this in the hope that someone will recognize the problem and offer a solution.

My much loved AK120 appears to have died. I'd just copied a new album to it and was running a manual scan - the scan froze so I restarted the device. It switched off and won't switch back on. No power to screen and not visible as a drive in Windows. However, Windows does recognise that something has been connected and the player does seem to respond in some way to a long press of the power button as it disappears and then reappears from Windows Devices (albeit an unknown device).

There were no warning signs and I think the battery was performing reasonably well, but it is 7 years old...

Any suggestions that might help? I've tried the long press of power and long press power and back button. I might try a battery replace, has anyone tried any of the AliExpress offerings for the AK120?

Finally, if it is dead, what player would you recommend as a replacement? I'm not travelling as much as I used to so I would find it hard to justify spending as much on a quality replacement.

All the best.

May 29, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #7,048 of 7,071
My much loved AK120 appears to have died. I'd just copied a new album to it and was running a manual scan - the scan froze so I restarted the device. It switched off and won't switch back on. No power to screen and not visible as a drive in Windows. However, Windows does recognise that something has been connected and the player does seem to respond in some way to a long press of the power button as it disappears and then reappears from Windows Devices (albeit an unknown device).

There were no warning signs and I think the battery was performing reasonably well, but it is 7 years old...

Any suggestions that might help? I've tried the long press of power and long press power and back button. I might try a battery replace, has anyone tried any of the AliExpress offerings for the AK120?

Finally, if it is dead, what player would you recommend as a replacement? I'm not travelling as much as I used to so I would find it hard to justify spending as much on a quality replacement.

All the best.
[/ QUOTE]

first thing - try to replace the battery ... or even try to connect any 3.7 battery to check for verification.
https://aliexpress.ru/item/32959683280.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.133f3c00l4QTn5&mp=1

Well, or as an extreme case, look at a replacement, for example, Hiby R6 pro. very good value for money.

May 29, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #7,049 of 7,071
Hi

Appreciate the suggestions. I've ordered a battery from China as it has been charged on two different chargers for a few hours before I made my post, it'll take quite a few weeks to get here so I'll have to use my phone for portable music till then. Probably won't bother as my phone sounds horrible.

Cheers

Jun 25, 2020 at 2:00 AM Post #7,050 of 7,071
Does the AK120 support 2x512gb cards? What about 2x1tb?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back