The Astell & Kern AK120
Jul 5, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #6,631 of 7,071
I'm reading with great interest the developments and better SQ around 1.32 but didn't revert to it as I think on this version the "Line Out" feature is not present and I use it a lot. Can you please confirm if this version has it or not?

Thanks.

Jul 5, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #6,632 of 7,071

1.32 makes the glove even more magnificent than it already was

how exactly would this be possible since the glove takes over the DAC and amp functions?

Jul 5, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #6,633 of 7,071
[COLOR=FF0000]1.32 makes the glove even more magnificent than it already was[/COLOR]

how exactly would this be possible since the glove takes over the DAC and amp functions?

I have absolutely no idea, all I know is the difference is there!

Jul 5, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #6,634 of 7,071
That response is kind of why people make fun of audiophiles!The glove takes over the DAC and amp functions,the idea that a different firmware is going to somehow change that in any perceptible way is absurd.....but like a placebo if you believe it i guess it is just as good as if it was true.If you suggested that a Hugo sounded far better than the glove using your 120 that would be correct but to suggest that your Glove sounds different is silly

Jul 5, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #6,635 of 7,071
I'm reading with great interest the developments and better SQ around 1.32 but didn't revert to it as I think on this version the "Line Out" feature is not present and I use it a lot. Can you please confirm if this version has it or not?

Thanks.

This function is not yet implemented in 1.32, yes :wink:

Two-line long folder name, 'play it all' are also gone.

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #6,637 of 7,071
  That response is kind of why people make fun of audiophiles!The glove takes over the DAC and amp functions,the idea that a different firmware is going to somehow change that in any perceptible way is absurd.....but like a placebo if you believe it i guess it is just as good as if it was true.If you suggested that a Hugo sounded far better than the glove using your 120 that would be correct but to suggest that your Glove sounds different is silly

FWs do nothing after the DAC so if there's a difference, it's going to be at the DIG or line out as well. Placebo works both ways. If you stick your head in the sand, your hearing will be impaired. 

Joking a bit here but try 1.2 and then 1.4. It should be noticeable.

Jul 6, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #6,638 of 7,071
Well, I want to thank Lee and all the other folks who recommended 1.32!

I loathe hyperbole but I have to succumb to it with this reverse firmware change!

The sound is more open and natural. Strings when plucked decay more gracefully. Percussion is tighter and has more snap and weight.

Soprano's voices are creamier and their high notes sharp but not brittle.

The sense of space and scale of the acoustic is more palpable and soundstage goes deeper. It's much easier to locate the sections of an orchestra or Choir.

I am not in any way shape or forum one prone to conspiracy theories but honestly, I would not find it hard to believe having heard this version A&K downgrading the SQ when they knew they had a new player come outl

1.32 makes the glove even more magnificent than it already was.

Now, there is more!

I can still press nice on the back button to begin the track again and miracle my number one SD card slot does not randomly disappear anymore!

This just adds to my resolve that until the AK120 gives up the ghost I have no intention of looking at other DAP's anymore!

If you remember old school Naim gear that excelled at pace rhythm and timing then you get the idea of what 1.32 does.

Thanks again chaps!

You're welcome. I just call it how I hear it. And I am not one to fool myself into thinking I am hearing something when I am not :).

Jul 6, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #6,639 of 7,071
Hey All,
Read some of this thread. Have a question, and I'm sure you guys can help.
I have a chance to buy a used AK120 Titan for ~$660. I saw some people here had conplaints about the AK120, so I'm trying to decide. I've had the FiiO X3 and X5. They were both nice but I want better. I'll be using it as a player with Hifiman RE400 or Ety ER4S and as a USB DAC with my vintage receiver > HD800's.
I listen to FLACs of various genres.
Thanks!

Jul 6, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #6,640 of 7,071
Nevermind. Ended up auditioning the X3ii, X5ii, AK Jr. and AK120. Got the Titan for $620. The guy left ~100GB of hi quality music on it (96/192 Hz).
So, I think I did good :)
I guess i'm now in the club with you guys :)

Jul 6, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #6,642 of 7,071
Thanks @mrmoto050! I was hoping it was :)
And just from the (very very) quick audition I did at the store, it just sounded great. Much clearer and crisper than the FiiO ones (all of them). 
Also liked how small and elegant it is, and I can't wait to try it with my HD800's (trying to download all of the music from the player to my PC, then step up to FW 1.42 - I read that it doesn't sound as nice, but I need the USB DAC functionality, as I bought it to be both my DAP and DAC).
Then I'll load all of my music and the music he had that I like and call it a day for now. Well, until I decide between the RE400 and the ER4S.
Man. I need to sell some stuff. I really can't afford this hobby :D

EDIT: Not sure why my mentioning of mrmoto050 didn't work :frowning2:

Jul 7, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #6,645 of 7,071

Thanks.

There is no "true line out" on a stock AK120. It is all just from the amp section. Its a useless feature in reality... You would have to have your unit modded into an S-mod (or a similar mod if one exists?). The S-mod gets a pure line out signal from the upgraded dacs. But you would require an amp due to loosing the volume control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back