The Astell & Kern AK120
Jun 30, 2015 at 5:58 AM Post #6,616 of 7,071
How about using "Adobe Audition" for converting aac or iTunes songs to flac?

There is no point to convert a lossy format into lossless. During the encoding the information is lost, gone, away, nada, nunka, weg. It does NOT get better converting it into a lossless format.

Here is what happens:

Original song in FLAC:

I convert this lossless FLAC file into MP3 with 128kbit/s:

As you can see a lot of the information of the higher frequencies is cut off, as well as certain details everywhere. 
Now I take this mp3 and convert it back into a lossless WAV (PCM) file:

As you can see the file is identical to the mp3 file as no information can be added back, since lost, it's gone.

Hope this helps.

Here is a nice explanation with examples: http://nigelcoldwell.co.uk/audio/

Cheers,
K

PS: Wrong thread to ask these questions.

Jun 30, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #6,617 of 7,071
I really don't know what their intention was but I know they did get caught red-handed before doing something similar by withholding features from the Ak100 vs the 120... Eitherway it would be sick to be able to use the upgraded wolfson chips in hardware mode to decode DSD. Wishful thinking I know
tongue.gif
what I do know is that I've never had a source at this level before. Not even the DX100 compares to this....

Yes, I remember. They said they couldn't make the AK100 play gapless music due to hardware configuration. Listrid proved, with his patch, that this was not true. He could be the answer to our prayers. Now, we have to find him and convince him of making a patch for us, AK120 owners that have the Wolfons 8741s...

Jun 30, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #6,618 of 7,071
Thank you! Well I'm looking at getting the ak100ii or ak120, I've also seen a
There is no point to convert a lossy format into lossless. During the encoding the information is lost, gone, away, nada, nunka, weg. It does NOT get better converting it into a lossless format.

Here is what happens:

Original song in FLAC:

I convert this lossless FLAC file into MP3 with 128kbit/s:

As you can see a lot of the information of the higher frequencies is cut off, as well as certain details everywhere. 
Now I take this mp3 and convert it back into a lossless WAV (PCM) file:

As you can see the file is identical to the mp3 file as no information can be added back, since lost, it's gone.

Hope this helps.

Here is a nice explanation with examples: http://nigelcoldwell.co.uk/audio/

Cheers,
K

PS: Wrong thread to ask these questions.

Jun 30, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #6,620 of 7,071
For the technically minded here I would love to know if changing back to1.32 would make a sonic difference to me as I am using the glove and the 120 is from what I am aware now simply a transport.

Jul 1, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #6,623 of 7,071
Be sure to do a manual reset before giving it a listen. The DX100 was also known to keep settings/anomalies from different firmwares if you did not do a reset. I just do this to be safe.

Jul 1, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #6,624 of 7,071
For the technically minded here I would love to know if changing back to1.32 would make a sonic difference to me as I am using the glove and the 120 is from what I am aware now simply a transport.

I'm surprised you never got your unit moddified. They really aren't comparable at all after the mod. Not even close. I'd love to hear it through that amp lol.

Jul 2, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #6,625 of 7,071
The way he uses it allows him to ditch the DAC/amp and still have a very portable player. Best of all worlds. I'd personally never ditch the headphone out entirely. The Mezzo mod would be my direction if considering this but I like it a lot as is once you get your IEM/cable combo voiced in. I have considered bypassing the 2 ohm output resistor.

Jul 2, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #6,626 of 7,071
Thanks for your thoughts folks, I will give it a go.
I never got my unit modified as I had listened to a red wine mod and compared it to the glove and preferred the sound the glove makes plus if I ever see something that entices me away from the glove/A&K sound then it's going to be easier to sell the A&K unmollested I think.
With the mezzo I simply do not like those cheap and easily breakable plastic switches but I think also I am not a modder sort of person! :)
Also, with the RWA one needs to use an amp and I sold my SR71-B and the glove seemed the perfect package.

It's choice I have never regretted. An often overlooked part of the glove experience is the amp, one of the best sounding amps I have heard.

It drives all my headphones with ease and has all the qualities I love in amps, a firm grip on the music, air, organic and with a tight and deep bottom end.

Paired with my latest acquisition, the RHA750 and it's just about as good as I could ask for.

Seriously impressed with the RHA's especially after burning in. They kinda make a mockery of all my other much more expensive headphones!

Jul 3, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #6,627 of 7,071
Thanks for your thoughts folks, I will give it a go.
I never got my unit modified as I had listened to a red wine mod and compared it to the glove and preferred the sound the glove makes plus if I ever see something that entices me away from the glove/A&K sound then it's going to be easier to sell the A&K unmollested I think.
With the mezzo I simply do not like those cheap and easily breakable plastic switches but I think also I am not a modder sort of person!
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, with the RWA one needs to use an amp and I sold my SR71-B and the glove seemed the perfect package.

It's choice I have never regretted. An often overlooked part of the glove experience is the amp, one of the best sounding amps I have heard.

It drives all my headphones with ease and has all the qualities I love in amps, a firm grip on the music, air, organic and with a tight and deep bottom end.

Paired with my latest acquisition, the RHA750 and it's just about as good as I could ask for.

Seriously impressed with the RHA's especially after burning in. They kinda make a mockery of all my other much more expensive headphones!

Nothing wrong with that at all :). At the end of the day it comes down to what suites our needs. I wonder what firmware that RWA was on at the time you auditioned it though.

Upon getting my unit serviced when I got it back I was confused as it didn't sound nearly as good to me as I had recalled. It actually upset me. I mean it sounded really good still but not that lively (energetic), dynamic and realistic presentation. That is something I could never forget. I am thinking I didn't give the unit time to burn in and also upgraded the firmware around the same time. But recently I thought of the original S-mods sound signature and prompted me to fiddle with the firmwares. I tried all the other firmwares and then tried 1.32 and bam lol :p.

There is one particular firmware (1.21) which seems to lower the power output of the AK120. That firmware worked particularly well with the 8As as it gave me head room on the amp and the bass was more controlled on bass monster IEM/headphones.

Jul 4, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #6,628 of 7,071
Thanks so much Lee. I have just loaded 1.32 and will report back after I listen to some familiar tracks!

Jul 5, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #6,629 of 7,071

Nothing wrong with that at all :). At the end of the day it comes down to what suites our needs. I wonder what firmware that RWA was on at the time you auditioned it though.

Upon getting my unit serviced when I got it back I was confused as it didn't sound nearly as good to me as I had recalled. It actually upset me. I mean it sounded really good still but not that lively (energetic), dynamic and realistic presentation. That is something I could never forget. I am thinking I didn't give the unit time to burn in and also upgraded the firmware around the same time. But recently I thought of the original S-mods sound signature and prompted me to fiddle with the firmwares. I tried all the other firmwares and then tried 1.32 and bam lol :p.

There is one particular firmware (1.21) which seems to lower the power output of the AK120. That firmware worked particularly well with the 8As as it gave me head room on the amp and the bass was more controlled on bass monster IEM/headphones.

The 1.2 is leaner, brighter in general and can cut through thicker sounding phones. 1.3 is a bit hotter than 1.32 and worked pretty well with my jh13fps and stock cables. It was sort of a pick em with 1.32 depending on flavor preference. 1.32 could sound a bit heavy but jh13 have a bit extra bass as stock. Now that I have a twag v3 on the 13s and everything is run in, 1.32 falls right into place.
smile.gif
 I guess these ducks are finally in a row. So much of portable is finding good interfaces but when you can get it with top kit, it's just that much better.

Jul 5, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #6,630 of 7,071
Well, I want to thank Lee and all the other folks who recommended 1.32!

I loathe hyperbole but I have to succumb to it with this reverse firmware change!

The sound is more open and natural. Strings when plucked decay more gracefully. Percussion is tighter and has more snap and weight.

Soprano's voices are creamier and their high notes sharp but not brittle.

The sense of space and scale of the acoustic is more palpable and soundstage goes deeper. It's much easier to locate the sections of an orchestra or Choir.

I am not in any way shape or forum one prone to conspiracy theories but honestly, I would not find it hard to believe having heard this version A&K downgrading the SQ when they knew they had a new player come outl

1.32 makes the glove even more magnificent than it already was.

Now, there is more!

I can still press nice on the back button to begin the track again and miracle my number one SD card slot does not randomly disappear anymore!

This just adds to my resolve that until the AK120 gives up the ghost I have no intention of looking at other DAP's anymore!

If you remember old school Naim gear that excelled at pace rhythm and timing then you get the idea of what 1.32 does.

Thanks again chaps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back