The Astell & Kern AK120
Jun 29, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #6,601 of 7,071
  The AK120 v1.32 firmware download is at http://www.iriverinc.com/download/downloadView.asp?selectPart=cateCode&findWord=02&sno=1078&page=1&cateCode=02

I haven't yet tried comparing its sound to the later versions, and I'm skeptical that v1.32 will sound better (or even different) but I'm willing to give it a shot.

I was thinking of selling my ak120 with fw 1.40 and 1.42. 1.32 is a different story. I think that AK is playing with us. They were degreeding sq on newer software so that new players (ak100II and ak120II) could shine better when compared to the old one... DX90, X5, now ak120 - on each SQ is changing with different firmware versions.

Jun 29, 2015 at 5:40 AM Post #6,602 of 7,071

I was thinking of selling my ak120 with fw 1.40 and 1.42. 1.32 is a different story. I think that AK is playing with us. They were degreeding sq on newer software so that new players (ak100II and ak120II) could shine better when compared to the old one... DX90, X5, now ak120 - on each SQ is changing with different firmware versions.

It seems unlikely that AK would deliberately downgrade the sound quality to favor its newer models. If I didn't like the sound of my AK120, the next player that I'd buy would be from a brand other than AK.

Jun 29, 2015 at 6:53 AM Post #6,603 of 7,071
Just buy the AK100 - the last few updates had zilch effect on the sound. 

How do I know that? I have two AK100 and use an input switcher. I upgrade one, then test new vs. the old software before I upgrade the other one.

Cheers,
K

Jun 29, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #6,605 of 7,071

....and which FW version do you like best?

The latest - 2.42. The last 3 versions I had - there was no change that I could differentiate at all.

Also, I am a fan of Front242 the band, so this firmware stays 
biggrin.gif

Jun 29, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #6,606 of 7,071

Funny, I was thinking exactly the same thing. It didn't take long after the 120 was out that A&K were already working on newer models. Better models that were aimed at replacing the 120. Since A&K didn't seem to have any more interest into producing the 120, then it would make sense to reduce its sound quality by bringing out new firmware revisions with added new features. Then nobody would ever suspect anything.

Of course, this is just my opinion and I am not accusing A&K of anything. It's only my theory. Now, what we really need here is someone that can code or program, someone that could take firmware 1.32, add all the new features of firmware 1.42, fix all the little bugs that A&K hasn't fixed yet without changing the sound signature of 1.32. I am sure there are a lot of people out there that can do it. We'll have to start a search thread " AK120 programmer wanted" lol.

Jun 29, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #6,607 of 7,071
Hopefully they didn't block downgrade possibility :) and don't regret lack of new features introduced in new firmwares.

Wysłane z mojego SM-G925F przy użyciu Tapatalka

Jun 29, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #6,611 of 7,071
For music formats,
Does anyone use a apple program to convert files?

Yes, Tunesify is amazing - very high quality converter and converts from anything into anything. It's also very simple to use. If you like it complicated XLD is free and complex :wink:

Cheers,
K

Jun 29, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #6,614 of 7,071
Funny, I was thinking exactly the same thing. It didn't take long after the 120 was out that A&K were already working on newer models. Better models that were aimed at replacing the 120. Since A&K didn't seem to have any more interest into producing the 120, then it would make sense to reduce its sound quality by bringing out new firmware revisions with added new features. Then nobody would ever suspect anything.

Of course, this is just my opinion and I am not accusing A&K of anything. It's only my theory. Now, what we really need here is someone that can code or program, someone that could take firmware 1.32, add all the new features of firmware 1.42, fix all the little bugs that A&K hasn't fixed yet without changing the sound signature of 1.32. I am sure there are a lot of people out there that can do it. We'll have to start a search thread " AK120 programmer wanted" lol.

I really don't know what their intention was but I know they did get caught red-handed before doing something similar by withholding features from the Ak100 vs the 120... Eitherway it would be sick to be able to use the upgraded wolfson chips in hardware mode to decode DSD. Wishful thinking I know :p what I do know is that I've never had a source at this level before. Not even the DX100 compares to this....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back