The Astell & Kern AK120
Feb 18, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #5,371 of 7,071
Thanks, guys. Nice to know I'm not alone.

I just expect a product to work, unreasonable as that may be. Especially a premium-priced product like the AK120.

Oh, of course the 120 doesn't erase the songs, but if it doesn't recognize the card(s,) what's the diff?

And I learn, albeit slowly. So next time the device hiccups, I'll shut-down-and-restart as a first step rather than a last.

Feb 19, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #5,373 of 7,071

Big difference. If it trashed the card or the files that would be a big deal. If all it does is go blind to the card until you re-start it, then it's just the time it takes = no big deal.

No diff in terms of me hearing the song when I want to hear it - which is Right-the-Fripp NOW, without jumping through hoops, uttering incantations or performing a scan which would be unnecessary in a properly-engineered device.

When the machine tells me there is no file and I know darn well there is, I get cranky.

Years ago I had a Sony Walkman. Put in a cassette, push one button and get music. Every time, immediately. Why should I accept anything less from a 21st-century marvel of advanced technology?  

Feb 19, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #5,375 of 7,071
45longcolt:
Years ago I had a Sony Walkman. Put in a cassette, push one button and get music.
Every time, immediately.

Your sentence has ONE wrong word - "immediately".
Cassette ... any song ... immediately ... this is impossible
wink.gif

So you are idealising old-skool devices, I think.

45longcolt:
Why should I accept anything less from a 21st-century marvel of advanced technology?

On the other hand, I lived in USSR (presently - Ukraine, part of ex-USSR), and we didn't have any advanced cassette players in mid-80-ies/90-ies, we had "technically backward and dumb" audio-equipment, which often could destroy your tapes (I mean jam your tape, understand?).
Okay, there were superb made-in-USSR tape recorders/stereosystems also, but most of the people could not afford it (due to deficit and high price).

P.S. sorry for my quite dumb English... hope you get the meaning, that's the main point
redface.gif

Feb 19, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #5,376 of 7,071
I think he was referring to the old days when we used to be quite content with pressing play and letting the whole cassette play through from beginning to end. In that respect "immediately "is very appropriate I think!
Of course with the advent of too much choice most people don't have an attention span long enough to listen to an album all the way through!
One of my benchmarks for portable SQ has been and always will be my old Walkman pro cassette deck. For me the 120 comes as close as I have heard digital come to that feeling and emotion the old Sony gave to music, higher praise I cannot think of!

Feb 19, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #5,380 of 7,071
I'm really interested in checking out the highly regarded sound of the AK 120 (and the AK240 should that soon become available). The problem is that I have little interest in owning another hand held computer; my Galaxy S4 is used a little as a text device and mostly as a (poor) telephone. How much firmware updating, booting, and file searching should I expect in the ownership experience? I found amusing the guy who still likes his Sony cassette player, but I also sympathize with the concept of simplicity!

Feb 19, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #5,381 of 7,071
Anyone here upgrading to AK240?

I am waiting for it to be available from my local stockist so I can hear it first. From what I am hearing so far I think with my 120 plugged into my ASP TU-05 tube amp what I am getting now is pretty close and the latest I have heard is that the 120 has a warmer mid range which is more to my taste. With the 120 I bought blind but seeing that the 240 is a serious chunk of change I really need to hear it first to see if it does anything more that I would feel I could not live without.

With my current set up and selection of tubes it is going to have to do a heck of a lot in terms of musicality to beat what I have now for me to justify the extra outlay.

Feb 19, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #5,382 of 7,071
Vlad - best wishes for peace and prosperity in your homeland.

And of course I did say "music" rather than any song - I just got the one that happened to be on the tape. Which of course I liked, since I had put it there.

Point being, no menus and no boot up. No "lost" cards, no scans. No hassle.

I do use my 120 just about every day, and greatly enjoy its sound and portability. But as for Zero-to-Music time, newer ain't better.
Push one button on your bedside radio, and instant tunes. That's the gold standard, 20th century tech at its zenith. I don't expect the AK120 or any similar device to match it.
With everything starting from cold, I can take an LP (vinyl disc, Google it) off the shelf and have it spinning before the 120 has awakened and had its first cup of coffee. If the device is having one of its too-frequent snits, I can do a thorough wash-and-dry of the LP and still be groovin' long before the AK has finished its scan, balanced its checkbook and done whatever else it does while refusing to play my chosen song. By which time I may not be in the mood any more. That's 19th century tech, folks.

Admittedly, this is not possible on a train.

And for those who maintain the LP is still the highest of HiFi, that's one debate I won't get into here...

The AK120 is a handheld computer, as fumanchu phrased it. If you're a gadget geek who enjoys a challenge occasionally; who gets a glow of victory after tricking (or cudgeling) the device into doing what you wanted, you will looove the AK120. If you think your $1300 will buy you a seamless experience, you deserve to know it probably ain't gonna happen that way. Then you can make an informed decision.

As always, chacun a son gout, YMMV,

Feb 20, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #5,383 of 7,071
fumanchu:
The problem is that I have little interest in owning another hand held computer

Did you have experience with Cowon J3?
It's nearly perfect device in terms of user interface, SQ and battery-life. UI with well balanced complexity. Screen with very fast response.
I think you should take a look at it (at least on YouTube), because it's definitily doesn't resemble web-browser or hand-held computer.
I think this device can be a theoretical ideal of "perfect mp3-player" for many people...
Pitiful, the next model came out on Android (Cowon D3), has laggy UI and battery-short.
Cowon J3 isn't produced anymore (damn market).
(sorry for Cowon offtop here, just good example of 'right' device)
Oh yes, another device with nearly perfect UI for me - AK100/AK120, of course.
45longcolt:
who gets a glow of victory after tricking (or cudgeling) the device into doing what you wanted

Again - you definitely should take a look at Colorfly C4 or HiFiMAN-801 or iBasso DX100 devices - people experience even bigger problems with UI/firmware etc.
Comparison - is the best way to know the world better
wink.gif

45longcolt:
Vlad - best wishes for peace and prosperity in your homeland.

Thanks! We all hope we not turn into Syria through the current situation...
ph34r.gif

Feb 20, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #5,384 of 7,071
Thanks Vlad for the suggestion. I hope to find one and give a listen. I might prefer the fact that it is more established and not subject to constant firmware updates; i got into this hobby to Listen and enjoy, but find the struggle with computers kinda kills the buzz.

Feb 20, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #5,385 of 7,071
fumanchu
There Colorfly C5 (C5?), Calyx M are coming this year, you should show patience
wink.gif

AK240 is not an option, because of unruly, unholy, satanic IRiver pricing...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back