The Astell & Kern AK120
Feb 21, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #5,402 of 7,071
Two reasons for me:

You can't bypass core audio using optical so all your notification sounds will come through the dac. With usb you can set notifications to go out the computer speakers.

I have an rwak120-b and the balanced out only works standalone or when using as usb dac, but not through optical in.

I've been using it with the optical in and SE output while I figure out the usb issue

Feb 21, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #5,403 of 7,071
Ok thanks for all the responses. That's really disappointing. I will try a few different USB hubs and see how I go. If its just a case of needing a hub I can deal with that but it doesn't sound like it will unless the PC port supports the input.

Feb 21, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #5,405 of 7,071
Two reasons for me:

You can't bypass core audio using optical so all your notification sounds will come through the dac. With usb you can set notifications to go out the computer speakers.

I have an rwak120-b and the balanced out only works standalone or when using as usb dac, but not through optical in.

I've been using it with the optical in and SE output while I figure out the usb issue

Okay, just wondering what the rational was. Thank.

Feb 22, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #5,408 of 7,071
I have AK100 with Firmware 2.30, and I do not understand something:

Why  Cover Art  do show in "ARTIST mode", but not in "Folder Mode" and not in "Playlists" !!  

I Want Cover Arts in my Playlist and Folder file list !    Does a Firmware revision allow that ? 

Small Cover Arts show properly in "Artist mode" on the left of the screen (above), but....

Not in "Folder mode" (left ) nor in "Playlists" (right) ????

HELP......  
redface.gif
   Do you have the same ? 

Is there any valuable reason why the stupid   logo could not be replaced by  ?  especially in a Playlist...

Feb 22, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #5,410 of 7,071
Back to the question about upgrading...
I'm planning on listening to the AK240 at the LA meet up next month. I suppose if I LOVE it I'll upgrade. There will be other vendors there as well. If Sennheiser or JHAudio has a great show special, and a product I don't feel I can live without they may beat out AK. I mostly listen to my AK120 through the optical out into a Meridian Director, so there's probably less SQ difference in a setup like mine. 
My usual 'on the go' system is the AK120>UE Reference Monitors. Seriously I have nothing to complain about, but better is always better.

Feb 22, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #5,411 of 7,071
ChrisSC,

Did you post impressions on this thread about your RWA b AK120 mod? My apologies if I missed it. I would love to hear your thoughts if the upgrade is worth it in your opinion and what the main improvements were sonically to your ears? I just got the Titan three weeks ago and love it but find pairing it with an amp a must. Bigger soundstage, dynamics and resolution retrieval to my ears. That's why I am thinking the line out and even better DAC chips from RWA should be pretty special. Just would love to hear what someone who already got the mod thinks of it before I pull the trigger.

Feb 23, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #5,412 of 7,071
Hi,

I've had the AK120 for about a week now, listening through Shure SE846. My UM Miracles are away for reshelling and I have JH Roxannes on the way.

I have a few questions, and apologies if these have been answered elsewhere - please do point me in the right direction if so.

1. Is the reason the bass seems quiet/off because of the 3ohm output impedance?
2. Will the AK120 perform better with my Miracles / Roxannes? Both have higher impedance.
3. Is the RWA mod worth getting, based on my 3 IEMs? Why?
4. Do others use the Pro EQ setting or not? and why?
5. Is there a way to create playlists on a Mac?
6. Can songs be queued? Eg I'm listening to a song and want another song to play next.

Many thanks for your help.

Feb 23, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #5,413 of 7,071
I would really like to hear thoughts on Wilderbeast's questions as well. My Titan sounds great through my UE 11's (12 ohm at 1 khz) but only if I boost both the lows and highs using the EQ. Does the EQ use reduce resolution?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back