The Astell & Kern AK120
Feb 16, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #5,356 of 7,071
  its really too much, this is worse than ipod and i Fing hate i pod

I think that's the problem, iPod needs the same proper tagging to display the music the way you want it.  If you have a slew of downloaded music  all with different  names or missing names for the "One" track you are looking for, you will get exactly that:  Same song displayed multiple times (each different spelling for track/artist/album) or added it will be added to your favorite artist "Unknown" if data is missing.

Feb 16, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #5,357 of 7,071

It works for me. I have 192Gb of flac and wav files on mine and no way am i going to check that all of them are tagged correctly. No matter how you tag them it's never going to be better than using an ipod touch.

Like I said, for the same view/selection features shared by both. eg. -- Artist, Albums, Song -- both  devices work identically for me.   My catalog is tagged properly, thus the software used by each device works properly.  All tracks are 2-3 clicks away using Artist, Albums or Song.   Everyone who complains their catalog is mess in the AK120 is because their catalog is in fact a mess.   If your tracks have multiple spellings for artist, album, song, you will see exactly that, if the artist is missing the track will be added to your favorite "Unknown".

Feb 16, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #5,358 of 7,071
im still confused. i got it to where when i transfer the music from my laptop to the AK removeable disc folder, it has the artist,track titles, and albums

however when the library of the AK updates, and i go to artist, it still has ''UNKNOWN ARTIST''

i dont get it? my tags are correct.

the only thing i can think of that might be causing this is that in the song title it has 01,02,03,04,05 before the title of the song, i dont know if this could be cause some issue or what?

its like in the Folder option on the AK is how the ''Artist'' should be, but its not.

i wonder if i shut off the auto library update will it come up in Artist correctly?

all of my files are ripped straight from CD, onto my desktop and all the tags are correct

i just dont understand what is going on, i transfer all the music straight from my desktop to the root....yet still it wont correctly add the music artist to the artist portion of the DAP?

Feb 16, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #5,359 of 7,071
Yeah if you want the 120 to work properly you have to go through and manually tag a lot of stuff.  On the iPod or iTunes it all works pretty much perfectly but flac files are often tagged differently or something and you have to clean them up.  I have a lot of downloads from Archive.org and shows sold by the artists-live concerts and stuff and the track numbers are wrong or artist is not filled in because it is just a file.  Also my only 320 stuff is from concert vault and for some reason a lot of those come out of order.  Files is the only way to deal with it unless you are unemployed and have a year to dedicate to going through all your songs…..

Feb 17, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #5,360 of 7,071
Yeah if you want the 120 to work properly you have to go through and manually tag a lot of stuff.  On the iPod or iTunes it all works pretty much perfectly but flac files are often tagged differently or something and you have to clean them up.  I have a lot of downloads from Archive.org and shows sold by the artists-live concerts and stuff and the track numbers are wrong or artist is not filled in because it is just a file.  Also my only 320 stuff is from concert vault and for some reason a lot of those come out of order.  Files is the only way to deal with it unless you are unemployed and have a year to dedicate to going through all your songs…..

What he said. :D:xf_eek:

Feb 17, 2014 at 3:21 AM Post #5,361 of 7,071
You probably want to sell your ak120 for your living if you are unemployed for 1 year....
redface.gif

Feb 17, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #5,362 of 7,071
Mooses9, the AK120 has a couple of minor tagging caveats that have caught me out in the past. Anything using the compilation tag, or the disc number tag I believe, causes the 120 to throw a fit and label things as unknown. I use MP3Tag for all my tagging duties. Vey easy to use and it also applies cover art. Which by the way doesn't need to be 500 x 500. This is a bit of an old wives tale as far as I can make out. Cover art size was an issue with early versions of the AK100 firmware, but that got fixed about a year or so ago. I have never had any issue with larger cover art showing. That being said anything too large is pointless, as it just makes your files much bigger than they need to be

Feb 17, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #5,364 of 7,071
So are you saying the 01 02 03 04 ect before the song could be causing this issue?

No it's an issue in the tags. Open up the album in MP3tag and check if any of the tracks have anything coming up in the compilation or disc number boxes. if they have remove them and see if that helps

Feb 18, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #5,365 of 7,071
Consumer Alert! Do not buy an AK120 if you demand an intuitive and reliable experience.

War story follows:

Just discovered another way the AK120 can "lose" its memory cards - in this case, replaying a selection (from "All Songs") by hitting the "<" button. When I went to the album I'd pulled from "Artists" for my next selection, there was album art but no sound. A few more touches and the DAP said there was no file. Then I noticed the card icons were AWOL.

So I went to Advanced and triggered a library scan. (I long ago disabled AutoScan due to its ultra-annoying habit of disrupting my music to run a scan [and lose the cards in the bargain] even though no changes had been made.) Still no cards counted, only music stored internally. Two more scans, same result. Turned the unit off and on again. There were the card icons! But no artists listed. So yet another scan. And glory be - got my 5500 songs back. Whole process took more than 15 minutes, time I would rather have spent listening to music.

Much as I enjoy the 120's sound and form, glitches like this and the company's non-existent customer service make it impossible for me to recommend A&K products to fellow Head-Fiers.

Caveat Emptor! 

Feb 18, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #5,366 of 7,071
Consumer Alert! Do not buy an AK120 if you demand an intuitive and reliable experience.

War story follows:

Just discovered another way the AK120 can "lose" its memory cards - in this case, replaying a selection (from "All Songs") by hitting the "<" button. When I went to the album I'd pulled from "Artists" for my next selection, there was album art but no sound. A few more touches and the DAP said there was no file. Then I noticed the card icons were AWOL.

So I went to Advanced and triggered a library scan. (I long ago disabled AutoScan due to its ultra-annoying habit of disrupting my music to run a scan [and lose the cards in the bargain] even though no changes had been made.) Still no cards counted, only music stored internally. Two more scans, same result. Turned the unit off and on again. There were the card icons! But no artists listed. So yet another scan. And glory be - got my 5500 songs back. Whole process took more than 15 minutes, time I would rather have spent listening to music.

Much as I enjoy the 120's sound and form, glitches like this and the company's non-existent customer service make it impossible for me to recommend A&K products to fellow Head-Fiers.

Caveat Emptor! 

This bug has been known for quite some time though.

Feb 18, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #5,367 of 7,071

War story follows:

Caveat Emptor! 

Ermmm, I think you may find that if you'd turned it off and turned it back on again, when the initial error occurred, you would have saved yourself the repeated scans. It always does the trick for me anyway.

I've had my AK since it was released and this has happened to me maybe half a dozen times. Honestly though, this seems like a small price to pay for such gorgeous music quality 

Feb 18, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #5,368 of 7,071
Ermmm, I think you may find that if you'd turned it off and turned it back on again, when the initial error occurred, you would have saved yourself the repeated scans. It always does the trick for me anyway.

I've had my AK since it was released and this has happened to me maybe half a dozen times. Honestly though, this seems like a small price to pay for such gorgeous music quality 

Same for me, perhaps three occasions it has happened and turning on or off does the trick as does ejecting and reinserting the SD cards.

I have yet to have a DAP from any manufacturer that does not have its quirks though some are worse than others (Hello HiFiMan!).

Feb 18, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #5,369 of 7,071
CraftyClown:
I think you may find that if you'd turned it off and turned it back on again, when the initial error occurred, you would have saved yourself the repeated scans. It always does the trick for me anyway.
Honestly though, this seems like a small price to pay for such gorgeous music quality

+1
I've experienced that 4 times for 3.5 months. (occasionally, not repeated events)
But I think Mister 45longcolt just panicing, because AK120 doesn't spoil the data on memory card (nor the filesystem).
It's all about just restarting device, honestly.
And I think it's more Android-related or firmware-related, rather than device-related.
Anyway, 45longcolt, if you won't be too lazy to check out which PROBLEMS people experience with Colorfly C4 or iBasso DX100 or HiFiMAN HM-801...
rolleyes.gif
you wouldn't be so critical

Feb 18, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #5,370 of 7,071
Same for me, perhaps three occasions it has happened and turning on or off does the trick as does ejecting and reinserting the SD cards.

I have yet to have a DAP from any manufacturer that does not have its quirks though some are worse than others (Hello HiFiMan!).

+2 to me as well……no need to take our and reinsert cards. just re-starting does it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back