The Astell & Kern AK120
Dec 24, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #4,861 of 7,071
I am having strange problems with the microsd to sd converters with 1.37. After every song finished (via playlist) it drops both cards. Have to eject and put in again and then fine. Play another song them same again. But if I forward to next song just before current song finished it is fine....will play many songs.

The converters have always been a bit flaky under 1.32. Every now and again it would not recognize them but not every song.

I still have to pause song and play again if use ffwd to hear sound.

But my back and forward buttons work fine to navigate songs.

Will try 1.32 over holidays to see if problems persist.

Let mine run to empty once, think the issues I'm having with the device might have started there also.

Am trying a hard reset now.

Dec 24, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #4,862 of 7,071
This sucks... can't use the device like this, every file added ends up in the same unrecognized album with names but no artwork no matter what I do, the artwork is 500x500, retagged everything, tried diffrerent firmware etc. Nothing. Have written to iRiver about it and the skip back issue and directed them to this site even though they keep tabs on it anyway, probably have spies amongst us. Bit annoyed at the moment, if I have to send this thing back I'd want a Titan version in return as compensation... either that or they should issue HiFiMan 901's to apologize .lol.

Redownloading 1.37 does nothing either.

Won't do it but am wondering if formatting the drive would kill any bugs.

Dec 24, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #4,863 of 7,071
I was thinking of taking the plunge on the 120, but after reading this thread about all the problems, for the price one pays for this, it should be flawless ... no go for me!

Dec 24, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #4,864 of 7,071
I was thinking of taking the plunge on the 120, but after reading this thread about all the problems, for the price one pays for this, it should be flawless ... no go for me!

Mine has been modded to rwak120-b. So could be some way part of my problems as not stock. I wouldn't want to put anyone off as it really is a nice player. And I do miss the stock days sometimes as was ultra portable....still ok but have to carry amp also.

Dec 24, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #4,865 of 7,071
hi danpong, you are using this volume in public places or in a quiet environment like in your own room? I'm using ortofon tips as well, and 37.7-40 is the level im using in public areas..

ive not tried comply foam yet as i thought it usually will "suck in" the treble?

I usually use in my home but TV was also on. With loud noise. I also use in public area while using a city train. I think it might be due to type of music we listen to. I think you should be ok at your volume level as long as you don't feel disoriented after listen to some song that has a lot of dynamic where the sound is moving allover the place.

As for comply foam, yes it did suck some treble comparing to ortofon. However, I use small size so I push in as deep as it can. So the treble loss is really minimal.

Dec 24, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #4,866 of 7,071
The perfect amp for me for AK120 would be one with near 0 impedance, as thin as possible, zero backround noise, good battery life and in width and length almost the same as AK120. --> perfect rig :)

Dec 25, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #4,871 of 7,071
I usually use in my home but TV was also on. With loud noise. I also use in public area while using a city train. I think it might be due to type of music we listen to. I think you should be ok at your volume level as long as you don't feel disoriented after listen to some song that has a lot of dynamic where the sound is moving allover the place.

As for comply foam, yes it did suck some treble comparing to ortofon. However, I use small size so I push in as deep as it can. So the treble is really minimal.

I just upgraded to my fitear from sm64..and I agree with quite some of the people here that it can be better if togo 334 treble can extend a bit more as I really miss my sm64 treble sometimes.. So if comply really does suck treble, it's a no go for me :frowning2:

Dec 25, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #4,875 of 7,071
Merry Christmas everyone :)

Capri, i'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong w/ ur ears. Everyone has different preferences. Sometimes i'd go as loud as 45..

For long listening session, i never go too loud though.. just to be safe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back