The Astell & Kern AK120
Dec 23, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #4,847 of 7,071
Please help.

I just got AK120 today (updated firmware 1.37) and I have been trying to put my music into the AK120.

The problem that I faced was that the AK120 can't play the "copy & paste"music files i put into the micro sd card (Sandisk Ultra 64GB).

So I tried syncing the music via iriver p4 program. After syncing, AK120 can play the music files now but the syncing is limited to the internal storage only. I have about 150GB of music files to sync but after the 60GB of internal storage is used up the media program stopped its syncing.

What is the cause of this problem and how can I fix it.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Dec 23, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #4,848 of 7,071
http://www.head-fi.org/products/astell-kern-ak120/reviews/10125

Seems to be a problem with the iRiver software, guess the review above used the software also.

Am having trouble copy and pasting albums to the device at the moment using both 1.32 and 1.37 so can't comment... what type of files are you using?

**The thread above didn't mention using the software hence my comment on the SD cards**

Dec 23, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #4,849 of 7,071
  http://www.head-fi.org/products/astell-kern-ak120/reviews/10125

Seems to be a problem with the iRiver software, guess the review above used the software also.

Am having trouble copy and pasting albums to the device at the moment using both 1.32 and 1.37 so can't comment... what type of files are you using?

**The thread above didn't mention using the software hence my comment on the SD cards**

What kind of OS are you running ? Which usb cable are you using ? 

I tried a couple of different usb cables but they didn't work. Use the shortest path for the usb cable from device to computer/notebook. 
My ak120 just works with the usb cable that came with it. 

Dec 23, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #4,850 of 7,071
It worked fine a few weeks ago, am using the cable it came with and Windows 8.... know that sometimes devices can install drivers while on a certain port and prefer to run from that port but the albums show up on the PC as being in seperate folders when the AK is attached... when I try to use the device they're all in one. Sucks. Can only be a firmware bug.

Dec 23, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #4,851 of 7,071
  It worked fine a few weeks ago, am using the cable it came with and Windows 8.... know that sometimes devices can install drivers while on a certain port and prefer to run from that port but the albums show up on the PC as being in seperate folders when the AK is attached... when I try to use the device they're all in one. Sucks. Can only be a firmware bug.

This is weird, never heard that before. I cant help you with that

Dec 23, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #4,852 of 7,071
I am having strange problems with the microsd to sd converters with 1.37. After every song finished (via playlist) it drops both cards. Have to eject and put in again and then fine. Play another song them same again. But if I forward to next song just before current song finished it is fine....will play many songs.

The converters have always been a bit flaky under 1.32. Every now and again it would not recognize them but not every song.

I still have to pause song and play again if use ffwd to hear sound.

But my back and forward buttons work fine to navigate songs.

Will try 1.32 over holidays to see if problems persist.

Dec 23, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #4,854 of 7,071
I am having strange problems with the microsd to sd converters with 1.37. After every song finished (via playlist) it drops both cards. Have to eject and put in again and then fine. Play another song them same again. But if I forward to next song just before current song finished it is fine....will play many songs.

The converters have always been a bit flaky under 1.32. Every now and again it would not recognize them but not every song.

I still have to pause song and play again if use ffwd to hear sound.

But my back and forward buttons work fine to navigate songs.

Will try 1.32 over holidays to see if problems persist.

I had the same problem of ak120 drop sd card before. What I did is recreate the library by going into the advance settings. Apparently it happens when I added some more music to the card and start playing rightaway afterward without re scan library. Do not use the auto scan feature. Just do it manually eachtime you have some music file changed. Some how the auto scan missed the new files.

Dec 24, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #4,856 of 7,071
Hmm, I use media monkey to do all the syncing. It converts my FLAC to WAV and puts it onto the device. Could explain why I've never had issues before.

Dec 24, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #4,857 of 7,071
Guys, just wanna know whether my listening volume is at an acceptable level.. Those who are using Fitear togo 334 with ak120, what is your average listening volume? Mine fluctuates between 37.5 and 40

Dec 24, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #4,858 of 7,071
Guys, just wanna know whether my listening volume is at an acceptable level.. Those who are using Fitear togo 334 with ak120, what is your average listening volume? Mine fluctuates between 37.5 and 40

What tip do you use? When I use ortofon tip, my comfortable + prefer sound stage is around 33.5 - 37. However when I use comply foam tip it usually 2 points lower depends on the song.
I find that if volume too loud the soundstage is collapsed and the width of the imaging is smaller. This is my 2 cents.

Dec 24, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #4,859 of 7,071
What tip do you use? When I use ortofon tip, my comfortable + prefer sound stage is around 33.5 - 37. However when I use comply foam tip it usually 2 points lower depends on the song.
I find that if volume too loud the soundstage is collapsed and the width of the imaging is smaller. This is my 2 cents.

My expierance mirrors yours.

I also find the comply to be more isolating and comfortable. With them I'm not always pushing the iem back in.

Dec 24, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #4,860 of 7,071

hi danpong, you are using this volume in public places or in a quiet environment like in your own room? I'm using ortofon tips as well, and 37.7-40 is the level im using in public areas..

ive not tried comply foam yet as i thought it usually will "suck in" the treble?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back