The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread
Jul 1, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #1,291 of 2,262
Ah... I see. Rudi, I'll let you know if I come to JKT.

Ah... I see what you are saying. Frankly, I've always had wonderful results with Fitear customs. It reaches its pinnacle paired with the uber cable. You get a sense of a full sized can. And ticks all the boxes you refer to.

In answer to LaurenceWayne's Q: As for the AKG K3003, it is a very good pairing with the AK240. I still have it and enjoy it very much with the AK240.

In respect of the Dita, I didn't hear what you heard. Perhaps I'll give it another listen. I am quite surprised you heard what you did without burning in. I had been assured it would sound better once burnt in. :)

Kiats- thank you for the observation regarding my AK3003. Gave it another listen and it is a good pairing.
Rudi- heard back from DITA (great response) the gold is a ways off.
And whomever posted that there is a difference between "no eq" and "flat" is correct. One or the other is actually "equing"....my take is that playing flat may be a bit clearer in the mids.

Jul 1, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #1,292 of 2,262
I have upgraded my AK120 to AK240 recently. Have actually tried the AK120II for a few days but decided to go a further step after auditioning my friend's AK240.

The AK240 is just amazing, especially when I pair it up with JH 16Pro through balance out. Silent background, wide soundstage, good imaging, vast details, are all the pros of AK240.

Jul 1, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #1,293 of 2,262
I have upgraded my AK120 to AK240 recently. Have actually tried the AK120II for a few days but decided to go a further step after auditioning my friend's AK240.

The AK240 is just amazing, especially when I pair it up with JH 16Pro through balance out. Silent background, wide soundstage, good imaging, vast details, are all the pros of AK240.

congrats on your purchase. as you know, the 240 is a significant step up over the 120, and it will keep getting better over the next 300-400 hours. happy listening!

Jul 1, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #1,295 of 2,262
Kiats- thank you for the observation regarding my AK3003. Gave it another listen and it is a good pairing.
And whomever posted that there is a difference between "no eq" and "flat" is correct. One or the other is actually "equing"....my take is that playing flat may be a bit clearer in the mids.

Thank you
I never like EQ , i always use all flat
If iems are very Good , can produce from them Self very Good SQ Without EQ
IMO

Jul 1, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #1,296 of 2,262
M so addicted to music after i got my AK240 with AKR03 Roxanne. Been reading so much lately on HeadFi as i intend to connect the AK240 to Woo Audio WA22 & Audeze LCD3. Wallet is getting thinner as the new toy is roughly about the same as AK240 with AKR03.  

Problem is the balanced line out cable. DHC cable is too expensive so waiting for other manufacturer such as ALO Audio to come out with one. I actually email them and hope that they can terminate one at a lower cost. 

Jul 1, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #1,297 of 2,262
  1st glitch that I've found with the 1.15 firmware is...

I tried to transfer songs from my Mac (via Android app transfer) and pull those files with multi-layer folders and there was a warning then the app closed itself.

Reopened the app and did transfer the folder one by one, in single layer, and it did transfer those I wanted.  However, I tried and select those songs under the folder that I have added new files in, the 240 gave me a warning something like "too many xxx files", can't remember the exact wordings and I even not able to play songs that has been in the same top folder.  At the end, I have deleted the entire folder with hundred of songs and redo the file loading and now it operates back to normal.

Anyone had experience the same with new 1.15?  I didn't encounter any problem with the 1.11 whatsoever.

Cheers

Too many unknown files, had this error awhile back. Factory reset and resynch cleared it up for me. I am using Windows and JRiver.

Jul 1, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #1,298 of 2,262
Problem is the balanced line out cable. DHC cable is too expensive so waiting for other manufacturer such as ALO Audio to come out with one. I actually email them and hope that they can terminate one at a lower cost. 

Have you tried Ted's Headfood cables? He is here on Head-fi and you could PM him with questions. I am using a balanced out cable for my Miracles to use with the 240 and am very pleased.

Jul 1, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #1,301 of 2,262
Thank you
I never like EQ , i always use all flat
If iems are very Good , can produce from them Self very Good SQ Without EQ
IMO

Yeah me too. No EQ on a good source is the way to go IMO. You are really revealing the nature of your phones that way and allowing the music to come through the way the producer intended.

Obviously though it is a handy and cheap way to compensate for sigs you don't prefer. Cheaper than ending up with a bunch of cans that aren't quite perfect at least.

Jul 2, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #1,302 of 2,262

Yeah me too. No EQ on a good source is the way to go IMO. You are really revealing the nature of your phones that way and allowing the music to come through the way the producer intended.

Obviously though it is a handy and cheap way to compensate for sigs you don't prefer. Cheaper than ending up with a bunch of cans that aren't quite perfect at least.

I believe everyone is in agreement about not adding EQ. But.....the questions is: set to "off" (not "on"- i.e. EQ "off") or creating an EQ setting as "flat" and going with that. I have tested...and there is a difference.

Jul 2, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #1,303 of 2,262

I believe it was Spkrs01 who first noticed that difference in respect of no EQ and flat. :)

Jul 2, 2014 at 3:41 AM Post #1,304 of 2,262
M so addicted to music after i got my AK240 with AKR03 Roxanne. Been reading so much lately on HeadFi as i intend to connect the AK240 to Woo Audio WA22 & Audeze LCD3. Wallet is getting thinner as the new toy is roughly about the same as AK240 with AKR03.  

Waiting on a nice balanced cable for my AK240 / Roxanne combo as well :) Unfortunately, no manifacturer is offering yet...

Jul 2, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #1,305 of 2,262

Waiting on a nice balanced cable for my AK240 / Roxanne combo as well
smily_headphones1.gif
Unfortunately, no manifacturer is offering yet...

Did you try Ted at the Headfood cables? He is here on Head-fi......Isn't the AK03 the Roxanne tuned for the AK240? I think Ted sells all three.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back