The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread
Mar 18, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #331 of 2,262
Lot of (good) talk about the IE800 here !

Are they THAT good ?

-> Being UNIVERSAL, Can they compete SQ wise with the Roxane customs ?

Mar 18, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #332 of 2,262
Lot of (good) talk about the IE800 here !

Are they THAT good ?

-> Being UNIVERSAL, Can they compete SQ wise with the Roxane customs ?

The Roxanne is a lot better. I have both of these at the moment. Also the fit and noise isolation on the Roxanne is also much better. The only thing is the price 
biggrin.gif

Mar 18, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #334 of 2,262
Very Nice looking rigs
The Color from Your LCD XC looks different In Red
Did you special order from Audeze ?

Hi rudi,

The color looks more reddish pink than it really is due to the flash when taking the picture. The cups are the Purple Heart option. I was told by Audeze the Bubinga wood is all they make now, but I know someone there and asked if he could find me a pair of Purple Heart cups. The real color is more a dark purple ... very pretty wood.

By the way, I like your posts about your listening experience with the 240. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 18, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #335 of 2,262
  Questions again:

1. Does the AK240 support 32bit float, the AK120 does.... am assuming the 240 would also.

2. What happens when you have both headphone jacks filled? Can you use one with or without the other?

3. People using it with large headphones... how does it compare to your experiences with other devices when powering those headphones?

4. How warm does the device get and also, how does it feel in the pocket... know how much it weighs but with the size and shape am wondering it it may feel to angular for the inside of a jeans pant.

Hi Goldlion,

1) the recent firmware update added 32 bit WAV support

2) never tried this since I'm waiting on a 2.5mm TRRS plug so I can modify my Audeze balanced cable

3) volume is not a problem at all for me with my LCD-XCs; I typically set the volume to 60 for a comfortably high level

4) the only time I've noticed the 240 get warm is when playing DSD files. I've gone hiking a few times now with the 240 (and the LCD-XCs yesterday!) and I place it in the back pocket of my 505 jeans with no discomfort

Mar 18, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #336 of 2,262

Wondering the same, with a 71b the cost will be nearly the same but the SQ would have to be better.

I agree w/ you. However, I need to get a hand on it. Some information is confusing. There are users that confirms the need for an external amp to drive cans. If that is the case, it should be the cost of the 240, plus the amp (which I already have) plus the connection. I am still confused. I know Vinnie is about to give his review of the 240.. I am looking forward to his "unbiased" report...  

Mar 18, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #337 of 2,262
Hi Goldlion,

2) never tried this since I'm waiting on a 2.5mm TRRS plug so I can modify my Audeze balanced cable

3) volume is not a problem at all for me with my LCD-XCs; I typically set the volume to 60 for a comfortably high level

2) you can only use one or the other but not both

3) yes volume with my LCD3 is fine, just the quality while very good from DAP perspective, can still greatly benefit from amping, especially low volume listening. Without amp I need to turn up the volume a bit to get better sound stage and details, which I can achieve at low volume with amping.

Mar 18, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #338 of 2,262
  I agree w/ you. However, I need to get a hand on it. Some information is confusing. There are users that confirms the need for an external amp to drive cans. If that is the case, it should be the cost of the 240, plus the amp (which I already have) plus the connection. I am still confused. I know Vinnie is about to give his review of the 240.. I am looking forward to his "unbiased" report...  

I'll save you the suspense and say that IN MY HUMBLE BIASED OPINION (aren't all opinions biased? 
wink.gif
), the amp output stage of the AK240 is not on the same level of the SR71A or SR71B.  

That's all I'm going to say about it for now...

Mar 18, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #339 of 2,262
I'll save you the suspense and say that IN MY HUMBLE BIASED OPINION (aren't all opinions biased? :wink: ), the amp output stage of the AK240 is not on the same level of the SR71A or SR71B.  

That's all I'm going to say about it for now...

Lol vinnie you aren't exactly going out on a limb there! I love my 71A when I had it and AK240 while very articulate and has a very black background, cannot output maybe even half the power the rsa can! Definitely AK240 just great for IEM/CIEMs but need amping for cans for sure.

Mar 18, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #341 of 2,262
Just to clarify my position on the need of an amp or not for my LCD-XCs, my use is for outdoor activities where I'm not as concerned about maximizing the performance; when I'm indoors and want to hear the XCs in its full glory, I use my Luxman tube amp with its award winning headphone circuit.

There is no way the AK240's amp will compare with a dedicated amplifier of great design with its own power supply. We're not talking volume level here, but enhanced resolution of low level detail which contributes to better retrieval of micro and macro dynamics. Additionally, bass extension and weight will be improved with a dedicated amp. For those who are interested in whether the 240 can drive larger cans to a reasonable level, I imagine it will in many cases—certainly on the XCs—but for those who want the utmost in performance from their headphones/IEMs, the 240 should be used with a commensurate amp, portable or home.

Mar 18, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #342 of 2,262
I'm looking at the SR-71B, or the Cypher Labs duet, to power up the AK-240

My dealer, Ted at teds headfood here on Head-Fi, uses an SR-71B with the balanced out of his 240 and he just loves it. He also makes adapters/cables to work between the two.

Mar 19, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #344 of 2,262
Sweet indeed but what we're looking at here is a stack of considerable girth.... now need to know what an AK240 + 71b looks like, from what I recall the 71b stacks well with the 120, the length and shape of the 240 may not be well suited (won't mention the cost). Its said on reviews that its supposed to be an 'all in one' device hence the cost as justification but in truth I suppose the tiny jack was a hint at what headphones should be used with it, balanced iem's, not XLR worthy reference phones.

... then again thats coming from someone who thinks they should have added video to the device .lol. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back