The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Dec 8, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #2,281 of 3,220

Quote:
found WM8971 datasheet. is it the same with WM8975?

do we connect it to ROUT1 & LOUT1 or ROUT2 & LOUT2?

*edit: attempt success
biggrin.gif
my diymod is working again now
biggrin.gif

Glad to hear it. Congrats!

Dec 9, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #2,282 of 3,220

Quote:

Quote:
Did the Mini g2 mod last night.   Forced the guts back into the case and ripped off solder pads at C69 and C70.  Started over with smaller wire, more patience, a little less stupidity, and used L7/ L8.  Robbed the dock portion of some cheap iSymphony shelf system that wasn’t working and taking up space.  Used some Radio Shack 100uf caps and plugged everything into my home theater receiver.  It works…
(is everyone doing this with magnifying glasses?  I can barely see after all that squinting.)
New battery is in the mail, heading to Fry’s tomorrow for a cf card (any suggestions? Anything I should avoid?)

I have zero electronics experience or knowledge...
This will be permanently used with my McIntosh mc240 amp driving vintage JBL speaker enclosures w/ 375 compression drivers and LE15A woofers (all inherited, don’t freak out)
The dock will be mounted to a 2”x2.5”x6” plastic box, so capacitor size will not be that limited.

I’m looking for help figuring out what caps to use.  Is it possible to go too big?

Found this thread on Monday, I must say it can really suck you in, although I don’t think I have enough energy to read the whole thing.      Any help would be appreciated.

If size isn't an issue, focus more on the quality of the caps. If you go too big, it may take a while for the caps to charge up when you turn on the system. You only need a couple uF of capacitance, so don't get anything silly like 1000uF as some "audiophiles" like to do. Get some film caps like 4.7uF Solens if you can afford it. You might even want to pick some up for any tweeters you want to dampen in your speaker system.

4.7 uF Solens are less than $4.00 a piece on Parts Express.  Am i looking at the wrong type of capacitor?

Dec 9, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #2,284 of 3,220
And he is one who should know having sold me the nice OIMPs in this pic:

Till I went hog-wild on them my expensive caps were Sonicaps (having sold a couple Mundorfs)... And Sonicaps do sound/perform well for the $$, esp. if you're ordering them along w/some other caps to lessen shipping impact.

IMO a well-done DIYmod + good caps is sure a nice bang-for-your-buck combo compared to something like this:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/437889/onkyo-nd-s1-ipod-dock/165#post_7111065

Which certainly has an edge but is further out on the non-linear cost-vs-performance curve:)
Quote:
Nope, $4 is quite accurate.  I would personally recommend going with Sonicap Gen1 capacitors, a little pricier (still reasonable), but REALLY nice.

Dec 11, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #2,288 of 3,220
Hello!

I wanted to know if the quite specials specs of the Toucan amp would require any special caps for the diyMod? I would like something that could fit in a lod, that would be great! But, if it's sacrifying the quality of the mod, i may consider buying bigger ones.

THanks for your help!

Antoine

Dec 12, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #2,290 of 3,220
Quote:
hi guys! may i know what amp is the one on the bottom right?! is it a diy amp or something like that?

cheers!

It is the DIY Cavalli Audio Compact Tube Hybrid (CTH):

http://cavalliaudio.com/cth/main.php?page=overview
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/398839/a-very-compact-hybrid-amp/2130#post_7113476

Think we billed it as an intermediate level project (150+ thru-hole parts on a 3" x 5" PCB, 24VAC wallwart powered).  Kits are no longer available but AFAIK PCBs are (from cavalliaudio where you'll find BoM, etc).  There's info around here if you search.  They come up in FS forums once in a while too.

From what I've read, EF* head-direct amps are commercial ones in roughly the same ballpark e.g. http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/454647/head-direct-ef-5-headphone-amplifier/135#post_6249753

Dec 13, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #2,292 of 3,220
I just had my ipod video 5g 30G modded yesterday!
before I mod it
the battery is fine, but after modded it, it kept showing "very low battery" and the screen just kept flashing.
but sometimes I still can turn it on, but the battery percentage bar above shows almost no energy left.
but the lineout and phone out functions are all good.
I also test it with multimeter, and it shows that the lineout connected directly to the wolfson chip correctly.
The only problem is the battery!
Did I short something that shouldn't been shorted?

BTW, the body of ipod becomes hot when charging it!
it''s scary...

Dec 13, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #2,294 of 3,220
does any one have tried modding the PO(Phone-out) successfully? can anyone show me which cap on the board to be replaced?
My plan is:
1.CF card mod (to make more space for internal caps)
2.Phone out mod with 220uF, 330uF or 470uF?
Line out mod(I've modded it and it works)
LOD(lineout dock) with 33uF or 47uF ELNA SLIMIC II (35V or 16V or higher?)(how will voltage affect the sound?) maybe parallel with film caps(0.1u?or higher?)

thx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back