The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Nov 3, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #2,268 of 3,220
another quick question
smily_headphones1.gif
what's the different between ipod 4g clickwheel and ipod 4g photo?

i saw in the jooneboi's tutorial the wiring is a little bit different. 4g clickwheel connected from pins located on the upper right of the dac and ipod 4g photo connected from the pins below the dac chip

this afternoon i tried to solder the wire from the pin below the dac directly to the dock's pin.. nothing came out, only buzzing sound like the spinning sound of the hdd when i turn up the amplifier volume to max
frown.gif

any suggestion?
frown.gif

Nov 5, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #2,270 of 3,220
Post some pictures of your work so we can see what's going on with your mod. Did you note that the provided picture was an upside-down?

The difference is that the iPod photo is newer, has a colour screen and a completely different logic board. Some of the parts are more different than one would think, so the diyMod isn't the same between the two. The logic board on the iPod photo has a weird semi-Tetris shape cutout on the north middle of the board, and the audio pins aren't as accessible as on the iPod click wheel.

Nov 8, 2010 at 6:41 AM Post #2,271 of 3,220

Quote:
Post some pictures of your work so we can see what's going on with your mod. Did you note that the provided picture was an upside-down?

The difference is that the iPod photo is newer, has a colour screen and a completely different logic board. Some of the parts are more different than one would think, so the diyMod isn't the same between the two. The logic board on the iPod photo has a weird semi-Tetris shape cutout on the north middle of the board, and the audio pins aren't as accessible as on the iPod click wheel.

thanx for the reply
smily_headphones1.gif

yeah, i just noticed that they are different. in fact, my ipod photo is a little bit different from both ipod click wheel's and ipod photo's pictures in the guide!!

so i just compared the pictures of ipod photo with my ipod, then connect it to the pins below the dac. voila! the diymod is summoned
biggrin.gif

i think i will like this diymod better than ipod video diymod, so far it has better treble but less defined bass. but ipod photo provides more space hence i can use bigger and better cable to experiment..

Nov 18, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #2,272 of 3,220
hi guys! just wondering, do the blackgates have positive and negative sides? if yes which one should i connect to? I'm using ipod 5.5g. the photo i posted can be found in page 151. hope to hear some solution soon! thanks! :)

Nov 18, 2010 at 6:04 AM Post #2,273 of 3,220

Quote:
hi guys! just wondering, do the blackgates have positive and negative sides? if yes which one should i connect to? I'm using ipod 5.5g. the photo i posted can be found in page 151. hope to hear some solution soon! thanks! :)

The Black Gate NX are non-polar.
RC

Nov 18, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #2,274 of 3,220
i chipped the left channel's pcb surface when i was trying to solder the wire today, the right channel is soldered to the wire nicely..so i guess i have to solder the left channel wire directly to the DAC's leg. anyone knows the pin configuration of WM8975 dac chip? i wanna finished this diymod..

i tried to search in wolfson electronic website but it seems the datasheet has been removed from that website. looking forward to your help :)

Nov 22, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #2,278 of 3,220
Why install resistors ? I have seen some people do it with this mod. Why ?

Also, if I do the same thing happiman is doing and install some BG HX caps, will my headphone out on my 5g see improvement ? I'm looking for SQ improvement over headphone out.

Dec 8, 2010 at 7:16 AM Post #2,279 of 3,220
Did the Mini g2 mod last night.   Forced the guts back into the case and ripped off solder pads at C69 and C70.  Started over with smaller wire, more patience, a little less stupidity, and used L7/ L8.  Robbed the dock portion of some cheap iSymphony shelf system that wasn’t working and taking up space.  Used some Radio Shack 100uf caps and plugged everything into my home theater receiver.  It works…
(is everyone doing this with magnifying glasses?  I can barely see after all that squinting.)
New battery is in the mail, heading to Fry’s tomorrow for a cf card (any suggestions? Anything I should avoid?)

I have zero electronics experience or knowledge...
This will be permanently used with my McIntosh mc240 amp driving vintage JBL speaker enclosures w/ 375 compression drivers and LE15A woofers (all inherited, don’t freak out)
The dock will be mounted to a 2”x2.5”x6” plastic box, so capacitor size will not be that limited.

I’m looking for help figuring out what caps to use.  Is it possible to go too big?

Found this thread on Monday, I must say it can really suck you in, although I don’t think I have enough energy to read the whole thing.      Any help would be appreciated.

Dec 8, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #2,280 of 3,220
Quote:
Why install resistors ? I have seen some people do it with this mod. Why ?

Also, if I do the same thing happiman is doing and install some BG HX caps, will my headphone out on my 5g see improvement ? I'm looking for SQ improvement over headphone out.

Resistors are recommended by a Wolfson white paper to dampen the surge current when (un)plugging headphones. Something small like 100R works.

Quote:
Did the Mini g2 mod last night.   Forced the guts back into the case and ripped off solder pads at C69 and C70.  Started over with smaller wire, more patience, a little less stupidity, and used L7/ L8.  Robbed the dock portion of some cheap iSymphony shelf system that wasn’t working and taking up space.  Used some Radio Shack 100uf caps and plugged everything into my home theater receiver.  It works…
(is everyone doing this with magnifying glasses?  I can barely see after all that squinting.)
New battery is in the mail, heading to Fry’s tomorrow for a cf card (any suggestions? Anything I should avoid?)

I have zero electronics experience or knowledge...
This will be permanently used with my McIntosh mc240 amp driving vintage JBL speaker enclosures w/ 375 compression drivers and LE15A woofers (all inherited, don’t freak out)
The dock will be mounted to a 2”x2.5”x6” plastic box, so capacitor size will not be that limited.

I’m looking for help figuring out what caps to use.  Is it possible to go too big?

Found this thread on Monday, I must say it can really suck you in, although I don’t think I have enough energy to read the whole thing.      Any help would be appreciated.

If size isn't an issue, focus more on the quality of the caps. If you go too big, it may take a while for the caps to charge up when you turn on the system. You only need a couple uF of capacitance, so don't get anything silly like 1000uF as some "audiophiles" like to do. Get some film caps like 4.7uF Solens if you can afford it. You might even want to pick some up for any tweeters you want to dampen in your speaker system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back