The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
May 19, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #1,112 of 3,220
*sigh*

I've come to announce that I cannot open up the iPod touch. It's been a mystery to me ever since I got it as to how anyone could ever open it. iRepair.ca did it and put it on YouTube, but I can't figure out how they make it look so easy. I have a number of iPod pry tools, and none of them seem to be making any headway. There's a machine shop at work that I can consult regarding slipping open this iPod, so I will keep scratching my head about it. But for the time being and with my current list of tools, I can't get it open. For now, we won't be enjoying the sweet sounds of any diyMod touches. It looks like I'm going to have to stick to my diyMod 4G for sonic splendor until someone or something changes the situation with the touch.
frown.gif

Carry on.

May 20, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #1,113 of 3,220
That sucks Jon. I hope that best for that mod!!

May 20, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #1,114 of 3,220
wgr, have you tried to diymod your zune?

May 21, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #1,117 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by earthflyer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
looks kind of difficult to mod the ipod video. The surface mount cap seem hard to remove with proper equipment. Kind of scared to try the imod.

All of the caps in all iPods are surface mounted and are TINY. It's not "hard", just switch sides back and forth with the soldering iron and it'll pop off (just don't push). Of course, if you're not comfortable with it, don't start! It sucks breaking expensive toys.

May 22, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #1,118 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by earthflyer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
looks kind of difficult to mod the ipod video. The surface mount cap seem hard to remove with proper equipment. Kind of scared to try the imod.

You could try getting a broken iPod or similar device with SMD components (I used an IM716 pod) to practice on before attempting the real thing. Of course, the iPod parts are probably smaller than what you'll find elsewhere, but the techniques are the same.

Take it slow, take it easy.

May 22, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #1,119 of 3,220
You're welcome, blippster.
smily_headphones1.gif

earthflyer,

If it makes things easier, you could solder the wire straight to the Z cap and not use the dock at all. Throw the wires through a hole in the back panel, wire up some caps and an output plug for the amp. That way you minimize the risk of ruining the iPod, though that's always a risk when having the case opened.

And of course, we're all here for you.
wink.gif

May 28, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #1,120 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gautama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wgr, have you tried to diymod your zune?

I haven't yet...I want to soon. I have the bestbuy warranty, so I'm debating on whether or not to mess it up. I may decide to take it for a warranty replacement and get something else (tell them its 'giving me trouble'). I like new toys. We'll see.
cool.gif

Jun 3, 2008 at 5:14 AM Post #1,122 of 3,220
I've read through about a quarter of this thread, trying to glean as much as possible, and I'm left with one question. Is it worth modding the 3rd Gen iPod? I know that the Wolfson DAC in the 3rd Gen isn't as good as the DACs of the 4G and 5G/5.5G. Considering that I have a 3G (30gig), is there a noticable difference between unmodded 3G lineout, and modded 3G? Thanks for your thoughs.

Jun 3, 2008 at 4:46 PM Post #1,123 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by patton713MW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read through about a quarter of this thread, trying to glean as much as possible, and I'm left with one question. Is it worth modding the 3rd Gen iPod? I know that the Wolfson DAC in the 3rd Gen isn't as good as the DACs of the 4G and 5G/5.5G. Considering that I have a 3G (30gig), is there a noticable difference between unmodded 3G lineout, and modded 3G? Thanks for your thoughs.

I can't say from experience, but if you've built a millet MAX, it shouldn't be that tough a mod for you right? Try it and let us know if you hear a difference
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 3, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #1,124 of 3,220
Quote:

I can't say from experience, but if you've built a millet MAX, it shouldn't be that tough a mod for you right? Try it and let us know if you hear a difference

The Millett MAX will be coming soon, it's still in the planning process right now. After I get the Millett up and running, I might look into a little DIYmod action. Just want to know if it's worth it.

Jun 3, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #1,125 of 3,220
Unless you have a 3G and either the 4G or 5G, I don't think you need to worry whether or not the sound is better in the 3G compared to the other two. The better question (which you did ask) is whether unmodded 3G is better than modded 3G, and to that, I'd have to go with modded. Sadly, this conclusion isn't based on experience but rather from transference. Going from small, "low quality" caps to larger, "high quality" caps seems to work well with the other diyMods, so why not with this one? I've AB-ed between 22uF and 47uF in my 4G, and by far I prefer the latter. I've tried it with 1.0uF VitQs and 220uF Nichicon PWs, and the setup I prefer the most is the 47uF BGs for their balance of convenience and sound quality. I am working on a 3G right now, so I can give you quick impressions. Really, there isn't any guarantee that you'll like the diyMod over the stock version, but at least you'll have a chance to roll different caps to suit your style. You only have to go as far as the first page to see all the different kinds of setups we have in the way of diyMods.

Hope that answers your question. Don't hesitate to prod any further.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back