The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Feb 29, 2008 at 5:09 AM Post #976 of 3,220
IT WORKS!
biggrin.gif
and sounds great!

Thanks so much for all the help along the way
biggrin.gif

The next track button works perfectly too, ill post pics soon... just want to do some more fiddling with some caps i have lying around.

Feb 29, 2008 at 6:55 AM Post #978 of 3,220
Sounds good, Ramblingman (at least I hope it does
cool.gif
).

What kind of info were you looking for, Fallen? I don't actually know if C53/C54 is L/R, so you're going to have to do some trekking.
smily_headphones1.gif
Open her up, remove the LCD screen to find the silkscreen labels for the dock inductors, desolder the usual culprits, then solder a very short wire from here to there. I think it's fairly straightforward, but a clever guy such as yourself could figure something out if it doesn't work out.
wink.gif
ruZZ.il did the mini 1G if you need any more insight.

Looks like the mini is making a comeback. I guess Apple was wrong about the nano after all.
biggrin.gif

Feb 29, 2008 at 2:36 PM Post #979 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iQEM:

4GB nanos have the flash on a separate daughter card, like you see in the photo. I'm thinking you could take another 4GB flash, solder it onto the empty slot and try for an 8GB nano. Someone can try it.

oh, it can be done ? well, maybe later...now my ipod (headphone out) a lil' bit strange, if i lower the volume to 50% and more, the sound moved ALL to left channel...but it come back to stereo if i turn up the volume to 70% to max...what's wrong with this ipod of mine ?!
mad.gif

Feb 29, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #980 of 3,220
iQEM, where did you ground you output?

Mar 3, 2008 at 12:45 AM Post #982 of 3,220
I'm sorry to hear about your iPod, iQEM. I really couldn't tell you what was happening with your iPod. Did you mess anything up when diyModding it? Check around the Wolfson, the headphone jack, anywhere you did any work. Kinda basic diagnostic testing but that's all we can really go on here.

As the rest of you know, I never stop thinking about improving this thread. I rediscovered an iPod repair/parts website which, as luck would have it, has another set of guides for opening iPods. They make the iVue, a clear front panel for iPods so you can look uber cool with an inside view of your iPod. I try to look for websites that offer not only an iPod repair service but also the parts for us DIYers to replace free of labour and shipping charges. I present, Rapid Repair: iPod Repair, iPhone Repair, Batteries, LCD Screens and more!.

Mar 3, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #983 of 3,220
My bad iQEM, I must have read your post wrong....nevermind

Mar 3, 2008 at 4:15 AM Post #984 of 3,220
Good news. I finally got around to hooking up my VitQs to my diyMod. I didn't think that the sound could change so much, but after a bit of listening, I did pick up on some minute details better with the Qs than the BGs. It also seemed like the bass was a bit boomier and separation was a little better too. It's not as practical a solution as the BGs because the BGs can fit into the iPod; the size difference is exponential. I'm just working on some different docks, so I'll give it more time for enjoyment. Nevertheless, initial reports are positive.
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2008 at 4:18 AM Post #985 of 3,220
Here are some pics from my mod. What is really nice about it is that i can now use the input jack from the tomahawk as a line out and i don't have to have any bulky LOD connectors and cables sticking out
biggrin.gif

IMG_1345.jpg

IMG_1348.jpg

IMG_1349.jpg

IMG_1353.jpg

IMG_1354.jpg

IMG_1356.jpg

IMG_1360.jpg

IMG_1371.jpg

IMG_1374.jpg

Mar 3, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #986 of 3,220
Absolutely fantastic work, Ramblingman. I like how you personalized it exactly to your needs. I especially love how well you routed your wires. Lemme guess, 30AWG or 28AWG wires? I'll go with 28AWG. And what kind of caps are those?

Again, great work and fine photography. Thanks for sharing.

Mar 3, 2008 at 5:18 AM Post #987 of 3,220
Thanks for the compliments joneeboi! I really enjoyed doing this mod and its so nice to have everything just work out great with no expensive mishaps
biggrin.gif

The wire is some 30awg silver plated copper... no idea what brand its just from the local electronic store. Same with the caps, not sure which brand but they fitted on the bottom of the ipod pretty nicely and were the "high quality" metallised polypropylene caps (5.6uF) that they had.

Probably not the best but they are an improvement on the original ipod's sound. If i can find a better cap in a similar size ill put it in for sure.

I just want to thank everyone again, couldn't have done this mod without you guys!

Mar 3, 2008 at 3:00 PM Post #988 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry to hear about your iPod, iQEM. I really couldn't tell you what was happening with your iPod. Did you mess anything up when diyModding it? Check around the Wolfson, the headphone jack, anywhere you did any work. Kinda basic diagnostic testing but that's all we can really go on here.

i guess not...still check all over the ipod again, but my LOD had finished now...
biggrin.gif
wish me luck, guys...thx !

Quote:

Originally Posted by wgr73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My bad iQEM, I must have read your post wrong....nevermind

it's OK wgr...
wink.gif

Mar 4, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #989 of 3,220
Good luck, iQEM!

I added some gallery-type links to the OP. I finished another diyMod for someone recently, and it feels good to be able to hear its music flowing into my ears.

Further report on the BG/VitQ situation. I tried VitQs and found it to have a nice sound. My test methodology was to pass reference tracks through an inattentive mind and see what differences my mind could pick up. The reasoning behind this type of test is that the mind filters out that which remains relatively constant; think morning routines and "waking up on the wrong side of bed." If something changes, your mind will be all, "What^ mate?" Through some quieter passages in Explosions in the Sky's latest album "All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone," I picked up on an egg keeping the beat during "The Birth and Death of the Day," something that usually wasn't as distinct and clear through the BGs. FR balance seemed quite similar to the BGs as well. Then I tried VitQs bypassed with BGs/BGs bypassed with VitQs. I heard absolutely no difference with this setup. I could hear a very faint click every time I went from bypassed to unbypassed and back, but beyond that there wasn't a real noticeable difference. As always, YMMV. I did like the VitQs as a final result, but I probably won't be using it for some time. I have to try it in my MAX next, but I need some time to acclimatize to its sound before the swap (see methodology reasoning above).

Mar 4, 2008 at 7:18 AM Post #990 of 3,220
Sweet! I made an Imod dock. I am pretty comfortable with regular LODS but the caps were tough to route.

Will this cable work with an actual Imod?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back