The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Feb 23, 2008 at 8:11 AM Post #931 of 3,220
Will this DIY Mod work with the ALO iMod LOD cables?

Also, does this DIY mod give you the same SQ as the iMod?

I am debating if I should pay the $200 or take a shot at this DIY.

Sorry if this has been asked before. This thread is huge and I am a slow reader.
tongue.gif

Feb 23, 2008 at 8:43 AM Post #932 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by gbx2006 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will this DIY Mod work with the ALO iMod LOD cables?

Yes, but if you do the mod, why not build the cable as well?

Quote:

Also, does this DIY mod give you the same SQ as the iMod?

I am debating if I should pay the $200 or take a shot at this DIY.

In theory, it should give similar performance to the iMod, you are technically doing the same thing, but considering which wire you use, how well you solder might change not only how well it looks at the end, but also how it sounds (cables do make a difference, at least to me).

Quote:

Sorry if this has been asked before. This thread is huge and I am a slow reader.
tongue.gif

Try the first couple of pages, or search
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 23, 2008 at 5:55 PM Post #933 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, but if you do the mod, why not build the cable as well?

In theory, it should give similar performance to the iMod, you are technically doing the same thing, but considering which wire you use, how well you solder might change not only how well it looks at the end, but also how it sounds (cables do make a difference, at least to me).

Try the first couple of pages, or search
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the info. I think I am going to give this mod a shot.

I figure since the 5.5 Gen is still on the Apple site for $219, even if I destroy the iPod I have now, I can buy another one and still come out ahead. Assuming that I do not destroy the second one.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 24, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #934 of 3,220
Instead of buying a new iPod if/when you destroy your logic board, it would be better for you fiscally if you just bought a new logic board from one of those iPod part places. Try ifixit.com or iDemiGods.com for a new one around 110 USD.

Feb 25, 2008 at 9:08 AM Post #935 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to head-fi, Ron.id. Sorry about your wallet.
Let us know how your diyMod turns out.

My DIYmod is done, implementing figure D.C. in the first page. The Capacitor is Blackgate Nx-HiQ 22uF.

Sound quality is impressive....
biggrin.gif
I'm pairing it with DIY cmoy & Grado SR-125.

Sorry, no photos yet.

Feb 25, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #940 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by ruZZ.il /img/forum/go_quote.gif
congrats Ron.id
biggrin.gif

+1 joneeboi!

Count it! Kudos, Ron. That indeed was quick. And don't worry about iQEM, he's been doing his diyMod for months now.
tongue.gif
(I believe in you, iQEM)

WindowsX, what's in the file? I'm on the school computer and we can't extract rar files. =I

BrinNutz, I'm using thin 0.032" solder. I find it's easier to work with smaller solder: it heats up faster, it's more flexible. The solder doesn't have to be necessarily that small though. Lots of the time, I find myself dabbing a little onto the tip instead of feeding it onto the joint. It's a toss up with such a small working space.

Feb 25, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #941 of 3,220
get winrar and extract them to somewhere. You can try comparison among iMod lineout (I recorded it from its lineout to PC)

Feb 25, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #942 of 3,220
I like thin solder too.. even if I have to feed an inch of it to do some heavy spots :p are you doing the alternate pin mod? cause otherwise, you don't really need a super fine tip. in fact, I've done everything with my equivalent to a ratshack iron.. albeit, I melted my nanos clickwheel ribbon plug, but the mini mod went flawlessly. I've built a more than 2 hands full of amps and a few alien dacs with the darned iron. I'm looking to find a 240v hakko, but it looks like I'll take what I found, the cheaper imitation of it...

Feb 25, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #943 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by ruZZ.il /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like thin solder too.. even if I have to feed an inch of it to do some heavy spots :p are you doing the alternate pin mod? cause otherwise, you don't really need a super fine tip. in fact, I've done everything with my equivalent to a ratshack iron.. albeit, I melted my nanos clickwheel ribbon plug, but the mini mod went flawlessly. I've built a more than 2 hands full of amps and a few alien dacs with the darned iron. I'm looking to find a 240v hakko, but it looks like I'll take what I found, the cheaper imitation of it...

I don't know about alternate pin mod?

I have a 4G photo, and in this guide there are only 2 pics of it I think.

I'm trying to do the mod going to the headphone out jack, not the LOD, though I guess I could, but there's not much on the 4G photo in here.

I'm also doing the BG cap mod too, those are sitting around here somewhere (I've got 6 of them lying around).

Here's a link to my post with pics
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/app...ml#post3715693

Suprisingly, I forgot I took off those resistors, and I found that the phone out jack is still working just fine minus those resistors, so those must be for the LOD.
confused.gif

Feb 25, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #944 of 3,220
Hey BrinNutz,

You're right about the deficiency in information about the photo. Not as many people have done the diyMod 4G photo and/or reported about it, so we only have as much as you see. In any case, the dock inductors are the same between the photo and click wheel (monochrome), so you can refer to those pictures. As for the headphone out jack, you're going to have to cut the traces leading from the Wolfson to the HP jack's ribbon cable connector. I can't be sure which traces to cut, but you can follow the same idea as Figure B.D (and maybe report on that too
wink.gif
). The Wolfson pins are the same since they're the same model, so look for which pin on the ribbon connector leads us to the headphone jack signal. Let us know how the mod goes and if I need to clarify anything I just said. =T

Feb 25, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #945 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey BrinNutz,

You're right about the deficiency in information about the photo. Not as many people have done the diyMod 4G photo and/or reported about it, so we only have as much as you see. In any case, the dock inductors are the same between the photo and click wheel (monochrome), so you can refer to those pictures. As for the headphone out jack, you're going to have to cut the traces leading from the Wolfson to the HP jack's ribbon cable connector. I can't be sure which traces to cut, but you can follow the same idea as Figure B.D (and maybe report on that too
wink.gif
). The Wolfson pins are the same since they're the same model, so look for which pin on the ribbon connector leads us to the headphone jack signal. Let us know how the mod goes and if I need to clarify anything I just said. =T

It may just be easier to do the LOD mod with the caps, so I don't have to run wire all the way back to the top...

Dangit, now I need an LOD cable.

But I do find it odd that the iPod still works with HP jack when those resistors are removed. The other set of resistors must be for the HP jack methinks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back