The Altmann Tera Player - Thread
Apr 28, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #1,939 of 2,897
Did anyone try to imitate Tera Player before. After all circuitry is not complex, why no one tried it, or maybe I didn't see it.

They were trying to create something similar called Teri player,but it looks like a dea project to me.
Is not all about the circuit board, the Tera Player has it's own ARM programming that make it very fast, as start up when you insert the card,but also when searching for a particular music folder.
And not to mention about the sound tunning.
Final word- no possible to duplicate/create a real replica of the Tera Player!

Apr 30, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #1,941 of 2,897
The Teri Player project is still on course despite the relevant thread being somewhat quiet. The first iteration 2nd batch will be distributed soon. The second iteration is to my mind more exciting, as it uses upgraded components and greater format flexibility. I expect the latter Teri Player to easily rival and possibly surpass the Tera Player sonically.

They were trying to create something similar called Teri player,but it looks like a dea project to me.
Is not all about the circuit board, the Tera Player has it's own ARM programming that make it very fast, as start up when you insert the card,but also when searching for a particular music folder.
And not to mention about the sound tunning.
Final word- no possible to duplicate/create a real replica of the Tera Player!

May 1, 2016 at 5:44 AM Post #1,945 of 2,897
The Teri Player project is still on course despite the relevant thread being somewhat quiet. The first iteration 2nd batch will be distributed soon. The second iteration is to my mind more exciting, as it uses upgraded components and greater format flexibility. I expect the latter Teri Player to easily rival and possibly surpass the Tera Player sonically.

btw 2nd batch already distributed. Format still wav only but as you said 2nd batch has better components and it can be used as dac. Additional information from facebook group G2 will use multibit dac.

May 1, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #1,946 of 2,897
  Did anyone try to imitate Tera Player before. After all circuitry is not complex, why no one tried it, or maybe I didn't see it.

I'm wondering something similar. 

Did anyone find out what DAC charles used?  There are very few phillips R2R DACs that were ever made and none fit the size requirements or suppose distortion characteristics.  I was reading the interview he did with headphonia again and he specifically say's that it isn't the TDA1543.  However he did say that the Burr Brown 8552 DAC is an R2R dac which it's not (its a resistor string DAC), so maybe he's just lumping in all multibit DACs in the same category?  So my guess is that he really did use the TDA1387, but I haven't seen anything confirming that.

May 1, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #1,947 of 2,897
Probably Charles will tell you exactly the DAC used inside the Tera Player.
The implementation and tuning of the sound along with the custom ARM programming makes the player very fast reading your card and produces a neutral natural sound that hasn't been achieved by anything else I tried before, and i heard everything way up to AK380Cu.
I will be at CanJam London UK this summer and I will invite all who have doubts about the audio capacity of this player to come and hear free-artificial ( nondigital ) sound.

May 2, 2016 at 4:21 AM Post #1,950 of 2,897
"censorama", is he referring to head-fi? Lol.

Are there any Tera players with the Burr Brown DAC?

The very first prototype Tera Player that used a micro sd card and a joystick to control the player had the Burr Brown DAC if i am not mistaken.
As it wasn't good enough for Charles never got into production, and Philips R2R was used instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back