The Altmann Tera Player - Thread
Apr 9, 2015 at 4:37 AM Post #871 of 2,897
  I just got my Tera today, did a quick 30 mins listening with Ref 1 and 5 way as they were recommended by "flymetothemoon and Mimouille", the Tera sound different than anything I have heard of, by saying the Tera is the best sounding DAP in the world is an over statement.
I can take a little more analytical resolutions, both ends could be more extended, on the plus side, it sound very smooth, that's my 30 mins quick impression of the Tera,

You are right spot on on the two aspects that I underlined above and I would add...a bit more power/punch would be great.  

Both ends' extension might have something to do with Tera's high output impedance and my Wagnus has helped to get both ends go further with more punches.

With its smoothness, the sound stage is less extended when compared to AK240.  All in all Tera is much gentleman while the 240 is more of an aggressive person who wants to show off everything.

Cheers

Apr 9, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #873 of 2,897
Has anyone ever tried the Tera with a desktop amplifier? I wonder how that analogue SQ sounds properly amplified.

I have, and as one would expect, the Tera sounds outstanding when used as a source for my desktop amps!

Apr 9, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #874 of 2,897
You are right spot on on the two aspects that I underlined above and I would add...a bit more power/punch would be great.  

Both ends' extension might have something to do with Tera's high output impedance and my Wagnus has helped to get both ends go further with more punches.

With its smoothness, the sound stage is less extended when compared to AK240.  All in all Tera is much gentleman while the 240 is more of an aggressive person who wants to show off everything.

Cheers
Actually the lack of punch is true on the Tralucent but not on the SE5.

Apr 10, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #875 of 2,897
Simple pleasures on a Saturday morning.

Apr 11, 2015 at 3:39 AM Post #877 of 2,897
Kiats, nice pic!

How is the sound of Ref 1 tOO compare to normal Ref 1?

Thanks! While it is still burning in, I would say more treble extension while being smoother and excellent bass impact.

Apr 11, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #878 of 2,897
For some strange reason, when I picked up a stash of PNY 256GB SD cards, it never occurred to me to see if it works on the Tera Player. Until a slow Saturday evening... I transferred one folder across and ... OMG! It works!! Now happily populating it as I write this. :)

Apr 11, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #880 of 2,897
Any card will work inside the Tera player as long is FAT32 formated.
How much did you paid for a PNY 256 GB card?
Is it a reliable brand,will it last long as sandisk?

Off Amazon it hovers around US$90-100. It's a Korean brand. Early days yet. Difficult to make comparisons of longevity. :)

Apr 11, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #881 of 2,897
Not true. From my experience and what Charles told me, the older Teras are very picky about what SD cards you use. Only the latest generation Tera consistently and reliably play most cards available today.

Apr 11, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #882 of 2,897
From my own experience, cheap cards won't do it.,I bought a 128Gb from komputer bay and discovered that it made a slight, but unfortunately truly disturbing when listenning to music, hiss all the time. I also have a 64Gb Transcend card that worked perfectly until recently when it would constantly stop working after a couple of minutes working perfectly. Don't know where it comes from, it may be dust, or some dirt or anything or bad luck, but it won't keep kworking longer than a couple of minutes.

So far I tried lomputer bay, transcend, sandisk, lexar and even a micro SD with an adapter from sandisk, lexar being the latest try I can't tell anything about its durability but it's working great for now, and sandisk is the one working best for me. All cards are 64Gb except for komputer bay, and all are class 10, no more, no extreme and so on... So I guess the Tera, at least my Tera, needs reliable cards, but not the most expansive ones. Basic cards work, but the key is to buy them from reliable manufacturers.

This Tera is one tiny magical beast, but a picky one. Even for flac conversion to wav...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back