The Altmann Tera Player - Thread
Dec 21, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #1,396 of 2,897
FYI it can be done
redface.gif

Not currently portable as the Analogue to Digital converter need USB power, so will need a portable power bank to make it fully portable

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Analog-R-L-RCA-3-5mm-Jack-to-Digital-Optical-Fiber-SPDIF-Coaxial-Audio-Converter-/111697461437

Only spend 2mins with it so far, works but a little bit of  background interference - so verdicts out on the sound for now.....

But thought I would share it with the guys straight away
biggrin.gif

Dec 21, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #1,398 of 2,897
That's great find thank you for sharing.
But Tera is made to be portable,but is fun always trying something new.

It can be portable - just need - a USB powerbank

www.amazon.co.uk/RAVPower-Portable-iSmart-Technology-Generation-y/dp/B00OJXVDAU

Dec 22, 2015 at 3:13 AM Post #1,400 of 2,897
I don't really see the point of this combo. The information is already lost you can not recreate it with an analog to digital converter.

Was more just an experiment to see if it was possible and how the signal sounded using Tera as source. (even though signal is converted)

Dec 27, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #1,403 of 2,897
Tried the Tera with some cheap blue colour Philips earbuds.They are very small and disappear inside the ear canal. They sounded very good ,considering the price under £10.
Don't know the model,but if i can find a photo I will post it here.

I'm guessing that you 'discovered' the SHE3590 or a variant thereof - heavily reviewed by ljokerl and others here and widely acknowledged as one of the best VFM bargains in portable audio.

Guys, I know this player was greeted with howls of derision when the price was ~800 Euros - then I saw it at '3000 Euros' - now I see this figure on Charles' product page:

EUR 6720,

The comma is my addition - I believe that's what Europeans use in place of a decimal point. Please tell me I'm missing something here. I'm no stranger to others calling my purchases into question, having owned the Chord Hugo, but that number simply beggars belief if its the same product that started out at 800 Euros.

Dec 28, 2015 at 4:51 AM Post #1,405 of 2,897
The Tera Player price is what it is. Some here believe that it's worth the coin, many don't, but it's personal choice whether to spend such a large amount of money on a DAP or not. Anecdotally, second hand Tera Players priced over £1750 aren't selling on eBay UK, as a couple recently failed to sell at £1795 and £2000 respectively. Whether Charles flogs any at 6720 Euros is anybody's guess, but I suspect not, hence the periodic sales on his website.     

Quote:

I'm guessing that you 'discovered' the SHE3590 or a variant thereof - heavily reviewed by ljokerl and others here and widely acknowledged as one of the best VFM bargains in portable audio.

Guys, I know this player was greeted with howls of derision when the price was ~800 Euros - then I saw it at '3000 Euros' - now I see this figure on Charles' product page:

EUR 6720,

The comma is my addition - I believe that's what Europeans use in place of a decimal point. Please tell me I'm missing something here. I'm no stranger to others calling my purchases into question, having owned the Chord Hugo, but that number simply beggars belief if its the same product that started out at 800 Euros.

Dec 28, 2015 at 5:07 AM Post #1,406 of 2,897
If Charles really wanted to sell the Tera player cheap he would have kept a low price and produced this in bulk.
Obviously it is his creation and i respect that.One can buy it or ignore it.
For me works like this: fantastic battery life,that doesn't have to be replaced after 2-3 years!! and never needs a firmware update,nor gets hot.
I am sure that there are some guys that buy it even at this new price.
I can see new reviews are added to his website and they are all accurate.
Tera is like a good diving watch, it will last you a very long time.

Dec 28, 2015 at 6:12 AM Post #1,408 of 2,897
Between Musicday blind adoration despite trying to sell it and others trying to destroy the Tera, this thread has lost all interest. I have resisted for a long time but I give up. Ciao to all.

https://youtu.be/VMkIuKXwmlU

Dec 28, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #1,409 of 2,897
Between Musicday blind adoration despite trying to sell it and others trying to destroy the Tera, this thread has lost all interest. I have resisted for a long time but I give up. Ciao to all.

I have tried every single music player,but this is the best for me.
We will miss you, but for sure we will talk in other threads.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dGuK8q5zJTc

Dec 28, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #1,410 of 2,897

Very sorry to see you go although I understand and share your frustration! You are one of the most knowledgeable and reasonable people on this forum and I will miss your input in the Tera thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back