The Altmann Tera Player - Thread
Dec 11, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #1,336 of 2,897
Flymetothemoon- is your opinion some may agree with you some may not.
I have the Paw Gold and the Tera.
Paw has a superior sound reproduction in my opinion then the AK240 which i tried as well.
So Paw Gold and Tera are very good players,but the Tera still has a different sound signature- very analogue sound then anything else I've heard.
I pair my Tera,with the PortaPro modified by me,so the sound is perfectly adjusted to my taste.
Anyone wants to hear this combo to see if it exactly as i am saying or i do exaggerate?
I don't agree with the new price,but there is nothing we can do about it,can we?
And also if the price would have been 900 Euro again,today i would have order it 2 units today!

Dec 11, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #1,337 of 2,897
musicday you're such a contrarian, on the one hand you're trying to sell your stealth Tera Player on eBay (UK) and on the other you're advocating buying two Tera Players if the price was 900 Euros again.
rolleyes.gif

To answer your earlier question, it became apparent that the Tera Players `analogue' sound is produced at the expense of dynamic range and micro-detail retrieval, as the Tera Player doesn't extract musical frequency extremes that well, with it's tendency to truncate or roll-off the top and bottom ends.

I recollect playing a jazz piece to a friend on my Tera Player (TP) which he coincidentally had in high-rez on his DAP, as he listened a frown appeared and he asked me whether the track was an mp3 as it sounded "Dull and muddy". Somewhat perturbed I told him it was a WAV and that it's meant to sound `analogue' like hence the euphonic bloom. Not convinced he handed me his DAP and I listened to the jazz track he'd just heard on my TP. WOW, it sounded so much better, there was more musical dynamism, the trumpet sounded superb and lifelike, the band had a discernible sound-stage and I could easily pinpoint instrument placement, lastly the track was just more vibrantly musical and enjoyable to listen to. I sold my Tera Player to you shortly thereafter. 

The DAP was the Questyle QP1R.
smile.gif

Quote:
Paw has a superior sound reproduction in my opinion then the AK240 which i tried as well.
So Paw Gold and Tera are very good players,but the Tera still has a different sound signature- very analogue sound then anything else I've heard.
I pair my Tera,with the PortaPro modified by me,so the sound is perfectly adjusted to my taste.
Anyone wants to hear this combo to see if it exactly as i am saying or i do exaggerate?
I don't agree with the new price,but there is nothing we can do about it,can we?
And also if the price would have been 900 Euro again,today i would have order it 2 units today!

Dec 11, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #1,341 of 2,897
Well thanks for that musicday, but you would have felt it justified to sell it to me at your final knock down price of £1300. Shame on you.

Paid extra for mine myself straight from Charles to have the extra ram, new algorithm and to make it fully black.
Selling price is £1500, and if you not happy about it buy the one Soundblast75 has for sell at £2000.
Item number : 262183789317
In few years time they will be available no more at any price :)

Dec 11, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #1,343 of 2,897

Music day...

Agreed with you sound signature is a personal preference and there is no doubt about it.

On price, yes "I/you" can if you are selling yours...I've sold mine the same price as I paid (I think it was around May this year) although it was listed way above.

Dec 11, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #1,344 of 2,897

Agreed with you Smail1966.

Tera doesn't possess the dynamic range (or some interpreted as power) and lacks the analytic ability like other DAPs have when using high performance IEM like my Tralucent Ref.1 in A/B comparison.

Another debate on price...if we treat it as collectible then it would be a different discussion and probably not in this forum.

Dec 11, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #1,349 of 2,897
No need to gang up on musicday guys. His peculiarities are known to all.

Anyways, this thread has been useless for a while as the merits and limits of the Tera have long been described in detail. It is not evolving, so not much new to say...

Please leave the guys alone to express their feelings about anything they want to say.
This is Headfi.org where people usually don't agree and always looking for something better.
Let's not forget Christmas is about friendship and love,hope.
Let's get the thread now back to normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back