The all new Continental Dual Mono
Oct 28, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #2,656 of 2,704
Nope. Not yet....
Well, I have WA6SE with upgraded tubes still collecting dust so far. Might sell it later.
Been enjoying ALO Studio-Six tube amp so far with Utopia, HD800S, HE1000SE, LCD5 and DX300MAX Ti and SS, Sony 1Z with Noble Sultan......
I am curious about swapping tubes out of CDM (stock Phillips 6111WA currently installed) and CV5 (stock Phillips 6111 installed).

I have a set of Raytheon 6832 (Dual Triode) and Sonotone 5719 (Single Triode) tubes that came along with my CDM purchase. I presume one of the 6832 could be used in CV5, but not the single triodes. I saw the assembly/disassembly video from ALO Audio and they had mentioned about ESD straps to avoid shorting components. Do you think it is needed ? If yes, is there a specific one that you can link me to.

P.S. If anyone here have any other tubes that you like to sell in the future, please keep me in the list of people interested. I was not on Headfi 6 years back when different tubes for CDM/CV5 were sold (so missed the bus).

Oct 28, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #2,657 of 2,704
I am curious about swapping tubes out of CDM (stock Phillips 6111WA currently installed) and CV5 (stock Phillips 6111 installed).

I have a set of Raytheon 6832 (Dual Triode) and Sonotone 5719 (Single Triode) tubes that came along with my CDM purchase. I presume one of the 6832 could be used in CV5, but not the single triodes. I saw the assembly/disassembly video from ALO Audio and they had mentioned about ESD straps to avoid shorting components. Do you think it is needed ? If yes, is there a specific one that you can link me to.

P.S. If anyone here have any other tubes that you like to sell in the future, please keep me in the list of people interested. I was not on Headfi 6 years back when different tubes for CDM/CV5 were sold (so missed the bus).
Don't use Single Triode, GREEN, in CV5.
For CDM, you must install Left and Right properly for Single or GREEN.
Others OK left or right, vice versa.
There is no ESD strap needed to touch the board, battery, or tube.
Just go slowly. Try not rush the job.

Will take a picture of all the tubes I have bought in the past, later.

Since my eyes are getting bad because of Aging, I use big 4 inches Mag Lens with LED light to see and soldering other components as well.

Nov 1, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #2,658 of 2,704
Don't use Single Triode, GREEN, in CV5.
For CDM, you must install Left and Right properly for Single or GREEN.
Others OK left or right, vice versa.
There is no ESD strap needed to touch the board, battery, or tube.
Just go slowly. Try not rush the job.

Will take a picture of all the tubes I have bought in the past, later.

Since my eyes are getting bad because of Aging, I use big 4 inches Mag Lens with LED light to see and soldering other components as well.
PM me which tubes you would like to sell.
Maybe I would buy one if I don't have this models.

Nov 1, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #2,659 of 2,704
Last night, I tested and listened from Qbuz
Note 9, usb to micro USB, CDM, 2.5 mm balanced out to Noble Sultan. Nice little Transportable setup.
48, 96, 192 Khz sounded very nice with using Bit Perfect out from Qbuz. LEDs are lit up correctly. WOFSON DAC is a little warm.
I have not use this CDM for a long time now. Been collecting dust due to other DAPs. Power is ok for IEM.
I should test with other tubes flavor I bought some years ago and see.....
Rolling tubes gives you a lot of discovery and enjoyment of your favorite music.

Nov 1, 2022 at 6:00 PM Post #2,660 of 2,704
Nov 1, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #2,661 of 2,704
@meomap Me too interested in tubes (if you like to sell someday) outside of 6832, 5719 and 6111WA.
A little later I will look at what I have. If I can offer you something, I will let you know.

Jan 16, 2023 at 9:40 PM Post #2,663 of 2,704
If anyone has any rare ALO CDM tubes please hit me up, specifically looking for the infamous mullards or other rich/bassy tubes. TY

Feb 1, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #2,664 of 2,704
Have you tried WA8 before ? If yes, did you think it was better than CDM in any technical aspects (other than being more tubey) ?
If still of interest, I owned the WA8 a while back and have recently managed to get my hands on the CDM. Here are some very unscientific thoughts on the two: the WA8 was an utterly impulsive pandemic purchase, and i absolutely loved the sound quality, esp. on 3 tube configuration with full sized cans, but also two tube with iems. Incredible warmth, gorgeous natural soundstage, utterly addictive listening and worked with everything I plugged into it (although the synergy was better of course with some cans than others.) It was also a gorgeous object to look at and built like a tank. Everything else I thought was a bit meh - it weighs a ton, it's battery was poor and it was an absolute pain to lug about, especially with the (virtually essential) charger. It also felt weirdly fragile, and a looming drama to need to send it back to the US (from Europe in my case) for new batteries and/or tubes. All in all I know it was marketed as somewhat portable, but I found it barely even transportable given its weight. More of a small desktop setup with a battery for added flexibility. I therefore used it far less than the stunning SQ deserved, and when money got tight I was sad, but not that sad, to let it go.

I've just been incredibly lucky to pick up a CDM from another headfier for a price I feel profoundly grateful for - overall it's proved to be everything I had hoped from the WA8. In terms of sq, admittedly with the mullard tubes installed, it gives up very little (from memory) to the woo audio product - it's a little more linear, a little less "tubey" so perhaps a fraction less characterful, but the staging and imaging are sublime and without the WA8 here to compare directly, I have the same silly grin on my face when I listen to both devices. Form factor and battery life are simply way better for the CDM. You truly can take it round the house with you or venture outside, and you don't watch with anxiety as the battery drains over the space of a couple of albums, it basically goes all day. And you can tube roll, and the batteries are user replaceable, and it's (relatively) light and it looks just as beautiful as the WA8. I know they're different amps, one is pure tube, the other is hybrid and in fairness I have only used the CDM as an amp thus far. I really did love the SQ of the WA8, but if I had to pick one to keep, money no object, I'd still go CDM. It just makes more sense as a product to me. Hope this of some use to someone!

Feb 1, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #2,665 of 2,704
If still of interest, I owned the WA8 a while back and have recently managed to get my hands on the CDM. Here are some very unscientific thoughts on the two: the WA8 was an utterly impulsive pandemic purchase, and i absolutely loved the sound quality, esp. on 3 tube configuration with full sized cans, but also two tube with iems. Incredible warmth, gorgeous natural soundstage, utterly addictive listening and worked with everything I plugged into it (although the synergy was better of course with some cans than others.) It was also a gorgeous object to look at and built like a tank. Everything else I thought was a bit meh - it weighs a ton, it's battery was poor and it was an absolute pain to lug about, especially with the (virtually essential) charger. It also felt weirdly fragile, and a looming drama to need to send it back to the US (from Europe in my case) for new batteries and/or tubes. All in all I know it was marketed as somewhat portable, but I found it barely even transportable given its weight. More of a small desktop setup with a battery for added flexibility. I therefore used it far less than the stunning SQ deserved, and when money got tight I was sad, but not that sad, to let it go.

I've just been incredibly lucky to pick up a CDM from another headfier for a price I feel profoundly grateful for - overall it's proved to be everything I had hoped from the WA8. In terms of sq, admittedly with the mullard tubes installed, it gives up very little (from memory) to the woo audio product - it's a little more linear, a little less "tubey" so perhaps a fraction less characterful, but the staging and imaging are sublime and without the WA8 here to compare directly, I have the same silly grin on my face when I listen to both devices. Form factor and battery life are simply way better for the CDM. You truly can take it round the house with you or venture outside, and you don't watch with anxiety as the battery drains over the space of a couple of albums, it basically goes all day. And you can tube roll, and the batteries are user replaceable, and it's (relatively) light and it looks just as beautiful as the WA8. I know they're different amps, one is pure tube, the other is hybrid and in fairness I have only used the CDM as an amp thus far. I really did love the SQ of the WA8, but if I had to pick one to keep, money no object, I'd still go CDM. It just makes more sense as a product to me. Hope this of some use to someone!
Thank you so much taking time to share your thoughts ! I am loving every bit of CDM since I purchased it and I have no need for WA8 in my kitty.

May 28, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #2,666 of 2,704
Hello all! Can anyone recommend a good OTG lightning to USB micro to connect an IPhone 13 Pro to the CDM? I have a very short one that works (can’t remember the brand) but I would like to have a bit more room to operate the iPhone interface while connected AND avoid interference noise.

Thank you!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
May 28, 2023 at 8:54 AM Post #2,667 of 2,704
Hello all! Can anyone recommend a good OTG lightning to USB micro to connect an IPhone 13 Pro to the CDM? I have a very short one that works (can’t remember the brand) but I would like to have a bit more room to operate the iPhone interface while connected AND avoid interference noise.

Thank you!
I think you should take a look at DD Hifi products. There are a lot of 7cm cables out there, or if that's not enough, 50cm.

May 28, 2023 at 8:57 AM Post #2,668 of 2,704
By the way, if anyone wants to sell any interesting tubes that they no longer use, please PM me.
I have a large collection, but as you know, there are never enough tubes.

Jun 1, 2023 at 2:53 AM Post #2,670 of 2,704
Unfortunately I haven’t had much luck finding any in Europe or anywhere. Most of them have been phased out in favor of usb C
I use Meenova from Aliexprees:
https://sl.aliexpress.ru/p?key=NzaMZPb Cable Meenova Lightning-to-MicroUSB DAC OTG for iPhone/iPad/iPod,
different length and connectors can be chosen. I have two cables 15cm & 120cm - both working no issues. Looks like cheep cable, but working nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back