The all new Continental Dual Mono
Jul 19, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #2,688 of 2,704
Universal chargers with displays - I bought several of them, but the problem is their limited low power. Despite the fact that they promise 12V/1.5A, as required for CDM, they don't really work. Connecting to the CDM does not result in charging. If you use the CDM without a battery in stationary mode, you can tell even by the glow of the lamp that the power is insufficient. I'll try to buy a few more, maybe I'll get lucky.

If you are talking about USB-C power delivery, then the power depends on the cable.
Each PD dc cable has a small chip in the connector that communicates with the charger to determine the V and power to draw.

USB-C PD can easily deliver 60W to charge laptops (if the charger has the power).

So if the cable supports more than 2A and the charger has at least 24W on PD. I am pretty sure it will work well.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #2,689 of 2,704
If you are talking about USB-C power delivery, then the power depends on the cable.
Each PD dc cable has a small chip in the connector that communicates with the charger to determine the V and power to draw.

USB-C PD can easily deliver 60W to charge laptops (if the charger has the power).

So if the cable supports more than 2A and the charger has at least 24W on PD. I am pretty sure it will work well.
Thanks, I will try other cables. Maybe this will really help.
What I tried was a simple connection, I just soldered the cable for the CDM to another cable to connect it to the USB output, any special cables.

Jul 19, 2023 at 8:14 PM Post #2,690 of 2,704
Thanks, I will try other cables. Maybe this will really help.
What I tried was a simple connection, I just soldered the cable for the CDM to another cable to connect it to the USB output, any special cables.
if you just make a simple cable like that it will just be running normal 5V usb power.

you will need to get the 12V PD cable that has the chip to tell the charger to give out 12V.
(there are different voltages for those cables on Amazon, it is specific.)
If it works fine then you may solder the DC plug that fit the CDM onto that 12V cable.
Hope this helps.

Jul 20, 2023 at 7:35 PM Post #2,691 of 2,704
if you just make a simple cable like that it will just be running normal 5V usb power.

you will need to get the 12V PD cable that has the chip to tell the charger to give out 12V.
(there are different voltages for those cables on Amazon, it is specific.)
If it works fine then you may solder the DC plug that fit the CDM onto that 12V cable.
Hope this helps.
Thanks, I'll try that. Looks like you're right. Today I received the cable from aliexpress and it does not work, as you said, the charger only outputs 5v, which is not enough.

Nov 13, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #2,692 of 2,704
I'm interested in converting my CDM into a permanent desktop amp and would like to remove the internal battery and connect an external DC power supply to the battery terminal/plug to get away from constantly charging & discharging the battery.
The specs for the battery pack is 11.1V and 3400mAh. I guess i could run it from a 12Vdc power supply, the only thing i'm not sure about is the amperage rating for the power supply; should i get a 2.5A or 5A unit? Thank you.

Attachments

• 1666898758860257811404897794464.jpg
    1666898758860257811404897794464.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Nov 13, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #2,693 of 2,704
I'm interested in converting my CDM into a permanent desktop amp and would like to remove the internal battery and connect an external DC power supply to the battery terminal/plug to get away from constantly charging & discharging the battery.
The specs for the battery pack is 11.1V and 3400mAh. I guess i could run it from a 12Vdc power supply, the only thing i'm not sure about is the amperage rating for the power supply; should i get a 2.5A or 5A unit? Thank you.
Everything is simple. It is enough for you to disconnect the battery, connect the stock charger to the network and to the amplifier and turn on the device. CDM involves working without a battery at all.

Nov 13, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #2,694 of 2,704
Everything is simple. It is enough for you to disconnect the battery, connect the stock charger to the network and to the amplifier and turn on the device. CDM involves working without a battery at all.
Thank you for your feedback. I already tried this method and indeed it works, however i find it to not be ideal because it uses the charging circuit to operate the amp. I would prefer to avoid this hence the question for an external power supply.
Also, in back-to-back tests (battery v. stock charger w/o battery) i found the SQ was slightly better using the battery which is the 2nd reason i don't want to use the charging circuit.

Nov 13, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #2,695 of 2,704
Using 5A since more current it will sound much better than low current

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #2,696 of 2,704
Using 5A since more current it will sound much better than low current
Right but is there a risk of damaging the circuit if there's too much current? I'm trying to find a power supply that outputs a current value that is equivalent to that of the battery pack.

Nov 13, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #2,697 of 2,704
Thank you for your feedback. I already tried this method and indeed it works, however i find it to not be ideal because it uses the charging circuit to operate the amp. I would prefer to avoid this hence the question for an external power supply.
Also, in back-to-back tests (battery v. stock charger w/o battery) i found the SQ was slightly better using the battery which is the 2nd reason i don't want to use the charging circuit.
CDM does not have a charging circuit. Charge control is carried out by a charger.
As for external power, I use the iFi iPower2. But you have to be careful to choose the right outlet (they won't give you the right one if you bought the wrong one) or you'll have to use adapters. An adapter is definitely needed from the CDM side.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #2,698 of 2,704
CDM does not have a charging circuit. Charge control is carried out by a charger.
As for external power, I use the iFi iPower2. But you have to be careful to choose the right outlet (they won't give you the right one if you bought the wrong one) or you'll have to use adapters. An adapter is definitely needed from the CDM side.
Very interesting, i wasn't aware the CDM doesn't have an internal charging circuit. Out of curiosity, are you using the iPower2 because you don't have the stock charger or because you feel it is better?

Nov 13, 2023 at 3:22 PM Post #2,700 of 2,704
The 5A current wouldn’t be easily damaged your CDM circuit if you got a regulator since it could be dropped anytime. Therefore, battery with a steady current is always best
Yeah, in the end i think i will just leave the battery in. At least the charger is connected to a power strip that has an on/off switch therefore i can stop the charging after use even when the charger is plugged in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back