The all new Continental Dual Mono
Jun 12, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #2,672 of 2,704
I support the question.
I unfortunately lost my charger so I'm looking for one that will be a good option for the CDM. One of the problems is the presence of an indication on the device itself, since the CDM does not have an indication of the end of charging.

I've ordered a few different ones from Aliexpress now, but haven't received them yet, so I can't say how well they fit the CDM.

Jun 12, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #2,673 of 2,704
I support the question.
I unfortunately lost my charger so I'm looking for one that will be a good option for the CDM. One of the problems is the presence of an indication on the device itself, since the CDM does not have an indication of the end of charging.

I've ordered a few different ones from Aliexpress now, but haven't received them yet, so I can't say how well they fit the CDM.
Will be interesting to hear. My understanding from this thread and other sources is that you you need a charger for li-io batteries, not an actual charger for the device. 12.6v, 1.5a, I don't know about the size of the plug into the device, if it's standard or proprietary. I've also emailed ALO to ask if they have any advice

Jun 14, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #2,674 of 2,704
Will be interesting to hear. My understanding from this thread and other sources is that you you need a charger for li-io batteries, not an actual charger for the device. 12.6v, 1.5a, I don't know about the size of the plug into the device, if it's standard or proprietary. I've also emailed ALO to ask if they have any advice
Okay, I got something today that can replace the charger.
It's an Ifi Ipower2 for 12 volts.

On the good side, it has enough power if you're using the CDM without a battery. In addition, it is a pure current, so you will get clean power when working from the mains. I can't say how it will affect the sound quality, I haven't listened to it yet, I just checked if everything works. In general, it should be better, since its power is 12.1V at 1.8A, when the stock charger offers 1.5A.

The downside is the use of adapters. First, on the CDM side. Fortunately, such an adapter is included in the package. So it's inconvenient, but not too critical.
In addition, you need to be careful, this charger has different types of sockets. This is a problem because I bought the American version, but I need the European one. So now I'm using adapters. Which is a bit stupid, considering that the charger itself allows you to replace the socket itself.

The promo photo had all the sockets for the Charger, so I reasonably thought that I would get them all in a set, as other manufacturers do, and just use the one I needed. But no.

In addition, the device does not have any visible indication of operation. This is really a problem, because you don't know how long you need to charge the CDM with it. I don't know how overcharging can affect the battery performance. In the end, it's just inconvenient. Given the large logo on top, I thought it would be backlit, which would at least serve as an indicator of whether the charger is receiving power. But no.

Finally, the price. The device costs $69, and maybe another 10 for shipping on top of that. Considering all the previous disadvantages, I think it's a bit too much.

Jun 14, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #2,675 of 2,704

On the good side, it has enough power if you're using the CDM without a battery. In addition, it is a pure current, so you will get clean power when working from the mains. I can't say how it will affect the sound quality, I haven't listened to it yet, I just checked if everything works. In general, it should be better, since its power is 12.1V at 1.8A, when the stock charger offers 1.5A.

The downside is the use of adapters. First, on the CDM side. Fortunately, such an adapter is included in the package. So it's inconvenient, but not too critical.
In addition, you need to be careful, this charger has different types of sockets. This is a problem because I bought the American version, but I need the European one. So now I'm using adapters. Which is a bit stupid, considering that the charger itself allows you to replace the socket itself.

The promo photo had all the sockets for the Charger, so I reasonably thought that I would get them all in a set, as other manufacturers do, and just use the one I needed. But no.

In addition, the device does not have any visible indication of operation. This is really a problem, because you don't know how long you need to charge the CDM with it. I don't know how overcharging can affect the battery performance. In the end, it's just inconvenient. Given the large logo on top, I thought it would be backlit, which would at least serve as an indicator of whether the charger is receiving power. But no.

Finally, the price. The device costs $69, and maybe another 10 for shipping on top of that. Considering all the previous disadvantages, I think it's a bit too much.
This is really great intel, at least as a possible last resort. I've also ordered a (much cheaper) 12.6v 1a charger, but my fear is that the connector will be wrong for the CDM (it looks slightly too big in the picture...) Will let you know. I agreeb with yky that not knowing when the CDM is charged is definitely a big disappointment

Jun 15, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #2,676 of 2,704

If you need an extra detachable adapter for your iPower, shoot me a PM and I'll try to help you. Thanks :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 15, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #2,677 of 2,704
iPower is a high quality PSU, it is very luxury to use it solely as a charger.

Anything like this would work and it has multiple heads.

I am sure there are some that has indication light as well.

If you want to be fancier:
Get a USB C charger with screen, and a 12V USB C DC cable
the charger will tell you how much current is being drawn so you will know when the charging is done, or almost done (very low current draw).
Downside of this solution is, when you listen to music while charging, likely there is noise.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #2,678 of 2,704

Anything like this would work and it has multiple heads.

I am sure there are some that has indication light as well.

If you want to be fancier:
Get a USB C charger with screen, and a 12V USB C DC cable
the charger will tell you how much current is being drawn so you will know when the charging is done, or almost done (very low current draw).
Downside of this solution is, when you listen to music while charging, likely there is noise.
This is incredibly helpful, thanks! Do you know what the specification of the CDM charging port is? Is it a standard 3.5mm? Can't seem to find it written down anywhere...

Jun 16, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #2,679 of 2,704
This is incredibly helpful, thanks! Do you know what the specification of the CDM charging port is? Is it a standard 3.5mm? Can't seem to find it written down anywhere...
Unfortunately I dont, I no longer owns a CDM. I think it is good to have a set of these stuff.
I do not like adapters, but these could be incredibly helpful when you need them, because most of the time DC wall warts are interchangeable as long as voltage matches.
If you have a spare 12V wallwart from your router, you can use it to charge your CDM, or vice versa.

1686943894416.png

Jun 16, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #2,680 of 2,704
Unfortunately I dont, I no longer owns a CDM. I think it is good to have a set of these stuff.
I do not like adapters, but these could be incredibly helpful when you need them, because most of the time DC wall warts are interchangeable as long as voltage matches.
If you have a spare 12V wallwart from your router, you can use it to charge your CDM, or vice versa.

1686943894416.png
Brilliant, thank you for the tip, I'll pick some up p🙂

Jun 18, 2023 at 4:47 AM Post #2,681 of 2,704

Yes, a bit of an overkill just for charging, but if it's also used to power an audio product, that makes sense.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 24, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #2,682 of 2,704

Actually using iFi iPower2 for CDM is not good idea, because that is AC/DC 12v adapter, while CDM stock charger is 3S CC/CV Li ion charger. CDM has 3S li ion battery and do not have PCB. That is why there is LED on stock CDM's charger showing charging status. Li ion battery without PCB requires CC/CV charger for safe charge as per data sheet. Refer to 3 Series Li-ion Battery charger

Jul 7, 2023 at 8:32 AM Post #2,684 of 2,704
Okay, here are a few updates on the CDM charger.
About iFi iPower. Everything is working, but I still haven't managed to get an adapter for the required socket, so the quality of support is surprising, given how small the problem is. I guess if I had bought it from a local distributor, I would have returned it.

Chinese chargers 12V/1.5A for 7-10 bucks usually work without problems. However, I have not been able to find any that have the "charged" indication that is on the stock charger. Also, I couldn't find a charger with the right plug diameter. I don't like adapters, so I bought a cable, disassembled the charger, and replaced the cable. The lack of charging indication is an inconvenience, so when I listen to CDM for a long time, I leave it on charge overnight or for about 5-6 hours. It seems to be enough.

Universal chargers with displays - I bought several of them, but the problem is their limited low power. Despite the fact that they promise 12V/1.5A, as required for CDM, they don't really work. Connecting to the CDM does not result in charging. If you use the CDM without a battery in stationary mode, you can tell even by the glow of the lamp that the power is insufficient. I'll try to buy a few more, maybe I'll get lucky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back