The all new Continental Dual Mono
May 28, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #2,626 of 2,704
Removing that internal cover may also lead to those components failing sooner. Since the CDM has been discontinued for some time, just keep in mind that if anything fails on the board, you might not be able to get it fixed. Generally if something has been soldered on, it isn't meant to be removed.
Ep it determines to all CDM LE users))) 90% it`s décor.

Oct 8, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #2,627 of 2,704
IMG_20221002_234032_507.jpg

Need more tubes!

Oct 9, 2022 at 7:47 AM Post #2,631 of 2,704
Next is OpAmps and capacitors :wink:
I'm not really into mods, so not yet.
Theoretically, ALO could to make OAs variable (to be honest, I don’t know if they are here), and then somewhere the same number of chips with 8 pins (like a beetles with legs) would be on the other side, аnd it will be a fight of OA against tubes)

However, at the moment I've delved a bit into the subject of tubes and it's actually a lot of tuning possibilities.

Oct 9, 2022 at 7:58 AM Post #2,632 of 2,704
Yup, clearly you don't have enough of them :D

It's like collecting Pokémons, isn't it :D ?
Yes, it is true that from some point on, not only the audiophile, but also the collector is included.
I am not going to argue with some of the old-timers of this thread, but when I last took a census of the tubes I have, I counted more than 25 pairs)
So even with essentially 1 option now that I could stick with forever (my favorite is the Sonotone 6111) it's always fun to try something else.
And the main thing is to get some strange rare thing)

Catch them all!)

Oct 19, 2022 at 9:03 PM Post #2,635 of 2,704
Apologies for the potentially stupid question. Are these still available for sale? Didn't see them on their website.
It will soon be 10 years since it was discontinued. So no, there isn't. And I don't think that will happen. If you need, you can search in the aftermarket. I just saw one on ebay.

Oct 23, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #2,636 of 2,704
I guess not.
You still can buy used.
Not many for sale I think.
Quick Question on battery replacement for CV5 (incoming) and CDM (in possession recently)

If the battery is not available from ALO, do I get something like this (link below) to get by ? How have you survived this situation ?

https://www.newark.com/panasonic-ba...x/battery-lithium-ion-11-1v-2-6ah/dp/56AJ3224

My concern with CDM in particular is it uses a proprietary charger (12.6V 1.5A) and I am not sure if it can charge something like this and properly indicate on the charger that it is indeed "Charging" ?

Second concern is the dimensions of a battery pack like this - Would it fit CDM or CV5. If you could share the dimensions of the battery pack, that would be great as well.

Thanks for the help !

Oct 23, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #2,637 of 2,704
Quick Question on battery replacement for CV5 (incoming) and CDM (in possession recently)

If the battery is not available from ALO, do I get something like this (link below) to get by ? How have you survived this situation ?

https://www.newark.com/panasonic-ba...x/battery-lithium-ion-11-1v-2-6ah/dp/56AJ3224

My concern with CDM in particular is it uses a proprietary charger (12.6V 1.5A) and I am not sure if it can charge something like this and properly indicate on the charger that it is indeed "Charging" ?

Second concern is the dimensions of a battery pack like this - Would it fit CDM or CV5. If you could share the dimensions of the battery pack, that would be great as well.

Thanks for the help !
I will check on these items tonight after work.
I changed CDM OEM battery recently after I bought it from ALO. No more now, only for RX model which I just bought it this week.

Oct 23, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #2,638 of 2,704

Thanks for the help !
The CDM battery consists of 3 batteries of the 18650 format - that is, these are not ordinary AA batteries, but those that run larger household appliances. Laptops, power banks, etc. After all, Tesla cars. (Yes, actually Musk just wanted to compete with the ALO guys).

So I bought a few of these Tesla batteries for myself and keep them in case I suddenly need to replace them.

They are simply covered with a film, which hardly adds to the size. In fact, the external dimensions of CDMs are dictated precisely by their thickness. The size of the 3 battery pack installed in the CDM is 68.5 x 55.75 x 18mm if my caliper is accurate enough.

Oct 23, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #2,639 of 2,704
The CDM battery consists of 3 batteries of the 18650 format - that is, these are not ordinary AA batteries, but those that run larger household appliances. Laptops, power banks, etc. After all, Tesla cars. (Yes, actually Musk just wanted to compete with the ALO guys).

So I bought a few of these Tesla batteries for myself and keep them in case I suddenly need to replace them.

They are simply covered with a film, which hardly adds to the size. In fact, the external dimensions of CDMs are dictated precisely by their thickness. The size of the 3 battery pack installed in the CDM is 68.5 x 55.75 x 18mm if my caliper is accurate enough.
The one I shared in the link was 18650 cells (Panasonic) packed in series with the connector that probably plugs into the circuit on the CDM. Is Tesla still selling 18650 batteries ? I believe you would solder them to have a series connection and use the wire leads to plug it into CDM battery management circuit. Am I saying this correct ?

Oct 23, 2022 at 11:48 PM Post #2,640 of 2,704

Thanks for the help !
20221023_202735.jpg

Hi,
In the picture above, top battery is from CV5 (double pack soldered in series with connector with + and -- ).
Since it looks complicated to do soldering because China small company has pre welding kit which operators do it with ease.
I don't have those items to do it.
So, I ordered from Amazon just a single battery either 103450 3.7 V, 2100 mAh or 803450, 3.7 V, 1500 mAh.
Put double sided tape below the battery inside CV5 so it won't make any noise like loose clanking noise.
Of course, shorter usage time like 6 hrs instead of 10.5 hrs for the double stack.
803450 is like 8 mm thick, 34 mm height, 50 mm Long.
Still good for me to use CV5 forever.
I ordered 2 batteries like
103450 2100 mAh. Like 6 hrs.
803450 1500 mAh so shipping is free if > 25 usd......

I haven't open CDM again yet.
Maybe tomorrow.

Hope that help you to get by CV5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back