The all new Continental Dual Mono
Jan 20, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #2,146 of 2,704
I bought my cdm lasy year but had to return it fir an issue. Was issued a new one, i believe. Any way to tell if mine has the R Mod?

I was having less dropouts with my first cdm but that was with ios 10. I changed to ios 11 same time as receiving replacement

Ta

Your CDM should have it, but if want to confirm there is a pic here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-all-new-continental-dual-mono.760478/page-109#post-12843639

This was a DIY, but the resistor location will be the same on yours and there should be something other than a resistor on those 2 locations that you see with the wires in the pic. Assuming you have it, then I think the possibilities of issues are 1) CCK if you don't have the newest one, 2) the specific app you are using 3) usb cable.

Jan 20, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #2,147 of 2,704
Your CDM should have it, but if want to confirm there is a pic here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-all-new-continental-dual-mono.760478/page-109#post-12843639

This was a DIY, but the resistor location will be the same on yours and there should be something other than a resistor on those 2 locations that you see with the wires in the pic. Assuming you have it, then I think the possibilities of issues are 1) CCK if you don't have the newest one, 2) the specific app you are using 3) usb cable.
Thanks - i’ll have a look at the cdm when I’m back hone.
I neglected to mention that the (momentary) drop outs appear to be only with tidal

Jan 20, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #2,148 of 2,704
9C844A8E-9859-4C24-BC56-72897DB53857.jpeg
@bflat
Here is a photo of my board. Does that show if there is the “r” mod on this?

Jan 20, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #2,149 of 2,704
@bflat
Here is a photo of my board. Does that show if there is the “r” mod on this?

Yes, you have 0 ohm resistors on R90 and R91 so you have the "R" mod.

Jan 20, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #2,150 of 2,704
Yes, you have 0 ohm resistors on R90 and R91 so you have the "R" mod.
thanks for the prompt response and your help

another member here did say there has been some ios issues when it comes to some dac/amps and daps with ios11

i will also try streaming tidal with the alo green usb cable to see if that changes anything (ie my small usb cable is the issue)

many thanks
peter t

Jan 25, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #2,152 of 2,704
My quick impression of the "Big Fattie" 6BF7 tubes:

From just the description I was expecting more mid bass emphasis than I like but went ahead and ordered a pair since they are on sale and I needed more PCBs for my incoming Ratheon 6021. Have no fear! The "enhanced bass" is in the lower bass, but not extending to sub bass. It's somewhere between subtle and obvious which means the ALO house sound is still there. It's a nice warmth and punch to lower bass frequencies. Mids are pretty much neutral maybe even laid back a little. Highs are nicely extended and spacious. If you are looking for a little more weight and bass punch without the dreaded bleed into the mids, the 6BF7 are worth a listen, especially on sale. Operating temps are good too - warm, but not hot.

I tested with my Laylas and just may keep these in for a while but I'll be testing the Ratheon 6021 shortly.

Jan 25, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #2,153 of 2,704
My quick impression of the "Big Fattie" 6BF7 tubes:

From just the description I was expecting more mid bass emphasis than I like but went ahead and ordered a pair since they are on sale and I needed more PCBs for my incoming Ratheon 6021. Have no fear! The "enhanced bass" is in the lower bass, but not extending to sub bass. It's somewhere between subtle and obvious which means the ALO house sound is still there. It's a nice warmth and punch to lower bass frequencies. Mids are pretty much neutral maybe even laid back a little. Highs are nicely extended and spacious. If you are looking for a little more weight and bass punch without the dreaded bleed into the mids, the 6BF7 are worth a listen, especially on sale. Operating temps are good too - warm, but not hot.

I tested with my Laylas and just may keep these in for a while but I'll be testing the Ratheon 6021 shortly.

Good to know about the sale, it piqued my interest for trying a new tube flavor. My understanding is that the CDM ships with 6111 tubes however looking through the glass window i see the numbers 8652 on my tubes so i'm a little confused because i don't even see that tube option on the ALO website. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2018 at 12:19 AM Post #2,154 of 2,704
Good to know about the sale, it piqued my interest for trying a new tube flavor. My understanding is that the CDM ships with 6111 tubes however looking through the glass window i see the numbers 8652 on my tubes so i'm a little confused because i don't even see that tube option on the ALO website. Thoughts?

I think stock tubes should be Phillips 6111. The 8652 is most likely a date code maybe week 52 1986?

Jan 26, 2018 at 1:53 AM Post #2,155 of 2,704
IMGP5938.JPG
I think stock tubes should be Phillips 6111. The 8652 is most likely a date code maybe week 52 1986?

You're probably right. I took this macro shot and i think it reads 6111WA (horizontally) which corresponds to the Phillips they sell for $39, currently on sale for $29.
I'm tempted by the 6BF7, however being double triodes they apparently consume much more power. I'm also curious about the other options like 6832 or Sonotones...can't decide really.

Jan 26, 2018 at 2:28 AM Post #2,156 of 2,704
Just ordered the 6832s. As much as i was tempted by the 6BF7, being a midrange freak i feared the added bass weight would shift the tonal balance 'away' from mids. Totally taking a chance here without knowing what to expect. Who knows, maybe i will prefer them over the 6111s but even if i don't at least i will have back up tubes. I see this as a low risk purchase. Will report back.

Jan 26, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #2,157 of 2,704
Just ordered the 6832s. As much as i was tempted by the 6BF7, being a midrange freak i feared the added bass weight would shift the tonal balance 'away' from mids. Totally taking a chance here without knowing what to expect. Who knows, maybe i will prefer them over the 6111s but even if i don't at least i will have back up tubes. I see this as a low risk purchase. Will report back.

Good choice! Yeah the BF didn't do anything to mids for me but the 6832 will give you some lush forward mids.

Jan 26, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #2,158 of 2,704
Good choice! Yeah the BF didn't do anything to mids for me but the 6832 will give you some lush forward mids.

PERFECT!

Jan 26, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #2,160 of 2,704
How do the big fatty's compare to the Mullards?

I only have 6021 Mullards. Compared to BF, the bass is more accurate and the sub bass is better heard. I would not say bass is fast though - still a little liquid. I think some of the warmth and punch in the BF may cover up the sub bass. This is more pronounced with BA IEMs than dynamic drivers. Mullards have more forward mids, but a pinch less than 6832. The Mullard highs are little more crisp than BF which may not suite everyone's tastes.

I am no tube expert but it seems the 6021 are all military JW grade tubes which have much tighter tolerances than consumer tubes. I think the 6021 have the most accurate presentation on the CDM. Again, not everybody is looking for that.

So far my tube rolling has covered:
  • Sonotone 5719
  • Telefunken 5719
  • Mullard 6021
  • 6BF7
  • Ratheon 6832
  • Ratheon 6021 (in process)
Can't say I have a favorite due to different sources and headgear I use. Ironically, I never even tried stock and have no idea what I did with those tubes LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back