The all new Continental Dual Mono
Jan 1, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #2,117 of 2,712
Does anyone know if there will be better sound from the balanced out of the CDM if I use the balanced input from my AK320 vs. the single ended input? Is there any difference between the two inputs or does the phase split circuitry work for both inputs?

Jan 1, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #2,118 of 2,712
Does anyone know if there will be better sound from the balanced out of the CDM if I use the balanced input from my AK320 vs. the single ended input? Is there any difference between the two inputs or does the phase split circuitry work for both inputs?

Technically, the phase splitter is only to convert SE to balanced. The balanced input to balanced output would be the purest path. Try both and go with what you feel sounds best.

Jan 7, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #2,121 of 2,712
Boy O' Boy do these 6832 tubes get sizzling hot, but sound Great with the AKGk3003i. I don't believe the extra heat will hurt the unit through.

No way, Bro. Don´t worry, just sit back and enjoy those tubes, Man! :wink:

Jan 7, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #2,122 of 2,712
Has anyone by chance compared the ALO CDM or Continental V5 with one of the more recent Vorzuge amps, like the Pure II or Duo II? I'm in the market for a high-end portable amp to accompany my AK380 and prefer something with great sub-bass response in particular.
I've tried the Pure II and Duo in the past. Never in comparison with any of ALO's tube amps, though.

Still, if you want an amp that provides authority, a well-rounded sound, and an excellent tonality to boot, you can't really go wrong with any of the top amps from Vorzuge or ALO, to be frank. Personally, I've found tube amps like the CV3, CDM and CV5 to sound a little warmer in general to solid state amps, such as the Rx, National, Pure and Duo. In fact, I reckon you would be very happy with say, a CV5. This is an excellent choice if portability is a key factor.

For me, I pair my AK380 with either a Rx MK3-B+ or a Continental V3. Both are in heavy rotation (in fact, I tend to carry both with me wherever I go).

The CDM is a great amp, with a DAC function to boot. Still, if you're looking to get one, you're going to have to consider the cost, weight, size, and heat. These factors are all a level above those of the other top-notch portable amps on the market.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #2,123 of 2,712
I've tried the Pure II and Duo in the past. Never in comparison with any of ALO's tube amps, though.

Still, if you want an amp that provides authority, a well-rounded sound, and an excellent tonality to boot, you can't really go wrong with any of the top amps from Vorzuge or ALO, to be frank. Personally, I've found tube amps like the CV3, CDM and CV5 to sound a little warmer in general to solid state amps, such as the Rx, National, Pure and Duo. In fact, I reckon you would be very happy with say, a CV5. This is an excellent choice if portability is a key factor.

For me, I pair my AK380 with either a Rx MK3-B+ or a Continental V3. Both are in heavy rotation (in fact, I tend to carry both with me wherever I go).

The CDM is a great amp, with a DAC function to boot. Still, if you're looking to get one, you're going to have to consider the cost, weight, size, and heat. These factors are all a level above those of the other top-notch portable amps on the market.
Thank you for your impressions Malevolent.I am leaning towards the CV5 over the Vorzuge Pure II as I typically prefer the effortless liquidity of tube amps over solid state.

Jan 8, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #2,124 of 2,712
Thank you for your impressions Malevolent.I am leaning towards the CV5 over the Vorzuge Pure II as I typically prefer the effortless liquidity of tube amps over solid state.
Well, yes, I know just what you mean. My 2 portable tube amps, the CV3 and the CDM provide a very lush and rounded sound. It's very addictive, to be honest. :)

I've been eyeing the CV5 for a while now myself, but I don't think I can spring for another purchase, especially since my wife is scanning my every move. :D

Jan 8, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #2,126 of 2,712
Today I think I might just do a little tube rolling.

Just a friendly reminder if you have any single triodes (green PCB), there is a L and R tube. If you don't match the L and R marked sockets, it will fry your tubes.

I totally forgot one time and out of sheer 50/50 luck, had the right tubes matching sockets.

Jan 8, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #2,127 of 2,712
Thanks for the heads up. I really starting to like this tube rolling. I purchased my CDM over a year ago and was worried of breaking it. But now it's so fast and simple. Real fun! Need to find more tubes.

Jan 8, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #2,128 of 2,712
Thanks for the heads up. I really starting to like this tube rolling. I purchased my CDM over a year ago and was worried of breaking it. But now it's so fast and simple. Real fun! Need to find more tubes.

Cool! If you are handy with a soldering iron, you can buy the PCBs from ALO and get all kinds of tubes on your own.

Jan 8, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #2,130 of 2,712
Well, yes, I know just what you mean. My 2 portable tube amps, the CV3 and the CDM provide a very lush and rounded sound. It's very addictive, to be honest. :)

I've been eyeing the CV5 for a while now myself, but I don't think I can spring for another purchase, especially since my wife is scanning my every move. :D
The absence of fatigue is certainly one of the great qualities of tube amps. Solid state amps often have a kind of edgy metallic ringing which grates after awhile.

Wouldn't your CDM be a direct upgrade to the CV5 though? Albeit less pocketable so I can understand the wish for a smaller amp when you're out and about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back