The all new ALO Rx IEM amp! Now on sale.
Jun 9, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #106 of 187
Nothing loud, thanks again for the quick response Ken.

:beerchug:

Jun 25, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #107 of 187
This new Rx IEM amplifier is truly and amazing little piece for portable amplifier. Just saw this pic from a review. I think I'll go get the Nickel instead, since black and silver are very common colors for DACs and Amps.

"When it comes to sound quality, it’s a neutral sounding amplifier with a very good amount of synergy and dynamics. The music sounds smooth and lovely for me and is never aggressive or harsh. The left and right channels are well-balanced, but you do get a very minor channel imbalance at that very low volume. You won’t be listening at that volume anyway, so no problem at all. The Rx is also very silent, dead silent at least with the set of IEMs I tested it with."
-Source: ALO Audio RX review

Jun 25, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #108 of 187
This new Rx IEM amplifier is truly and amazing little piece for portable amplifier. Just saw this pic from a review. I think I'll go get the Nickel instead, since black and silver are very common colors for DACs and Amps.

"When it comes to sound quality, it’s a neutral sounding amplifier with a very good amount of synergy and dynamics. The music sounds smooth and lovely for me and is never aggressive or harsh. The left and right channels are well-balanced, but you do get a very minor channel imbalance at that very low volume. You won’t be listening at that volume anyway, so no problem at all. The Rx is also very silent, dead silent at least with the set of IEMs I tested it with."
-Source: ALO Audio RX review

I'd definately get the Nickle version. $50 extra nets you a $150 green line USB cable and a gorgeous finish.

Jun 27, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #110 of 187
black, nickle, or just a plain ol brown paper wrapper, the Rx is the ****!

I was having an issue where I wasn't getting enough volume out of my iPod Classic>CLAS-R>Rx setup, it was close, I would use my ZOv1 whoch helped when I turned it on, but sometimes I didn't need or want its added contour effect added into the mix,

I was kid of bummed because I thought I might have to return my new favorite amp over this issue? but Ken suggested that I send it in so he could increase the gain/volume travel on it, he did so, and did a great job of it! now it matches up with my rig perfectly, no more low volume issue! not only that but there seems to be something different/special with the Rx now? hhmmm

as most stories go, well there I was minding my own business, when out of the blue...lol, jk

but I was concerned that increasing the volume travel might change the Rx's sound? some amps volume control is also a gain increase, but I guess an increase in volume is also an increase in gain? or something like that,

Graham Slees Voyagers volume control when you turn it up also effects the amps sound signiture, adds to the contour aswell as to the volume, I wondered if the Rxs volume control worked in a somewhat similiar fashion aswell? but when I got the Rx back it seemed off from how I remebered it somehow? congested? after a few days of use, more then likely I needed some brain burn in, but its SS came back around, I took it along with my walk with the dog sunday, and the SS as I remebered it was there, and not only there but better then what I remebered?

I think Ken secretly added something to it that needed to burn in? and now I have a one of a kind Rx that plays magical music in my ears? I am pretty sure that is what happened, Ken has an SA on his shirt that stands for Super Audio man! lol,

the Rx has a wonderful sound to it that I now prefer over my Vorzuge Pure II, and that thing sounds awesome! the Rxs sound is more spacious, with greater instrument placement and seperation, perfect treble, mids, and bass, well balanced great for critical listening! it has all the qualities that I look for in an amp! and for that added extra thump for the bass head in me, I use my ZOv1, and whalla perfection, audio bliss like I've never heard before but have always been in search of!

thanks Mr. SA Ken! 

Jun 29, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #111 of 187
On the other hand, it might be a good idea to get one for portable use and leave the Hugo at home.
I'm still curious if anyone compared RX with UHA-6II from Leckerton.
I was responding to X-relic-X's response to Currawong's response.  Hence, way out of context.

Jun 29, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #112 of 187
On the other hand, it might be a good idea to get one for portable use and leave the Hugo at home.
I'm still curious if anyone compared RX with UHA-6II from Leckerton.
I was responding to X-relic-X's response to Currawong's response.  Hence, way out of context.

I have both the Lecherton and the Rx and the ALO is my portable reference while the UHA is in my gear drawer. Nuff said...

Jun 30, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #113 of 187
Just took ownership of the new Rx about 4 days ago and I must definitely say it's great that ALO has developed a portable amp for IEM use. Previously had the RXMK3B and the noise floor was high enough to make it difficult to fully enjoy.

Using the Rx on my current CIEMs, the CT500 and UE18, it appears to excel greatly in the mids giving a sense of space, even perhaps sounding slightly forward in a good way.

Props to Ken & the team at ALO.

Jun 30, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #115 of 187
Well, I ordered one.  Looking forward.

Hope you love it!

Only better portable amp I've heard is Ken and Vinnie's CDM, but that cost 5x! Cheers

Jul 1, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #116 of 187
  Just took ownership of the new Rx about 4 days ago and I must definitely say it's great that ALO has developed a portable amp for IEM use. Previously had the RXMK3B and the noise floor was high enough to make it difficult to fully enjoy.

Using the Rx on my current CIEMs, the CT500 and UE18, it appears to excel greatly in the mids giving a sense of space, even perhaps sounding slightly forward in a good way.

Props to Ken & the team at ALO.

yes I agree, the Rx has a sense of spaciousness/openess that is seriously impresive, it kind of makes me feel wonderful when I am listening to it? like all is right with the world kind of thing, it's the best audio therapy I've ever had! makes my Pure II sound congested?

now I can't wait to get home and take the dog out for some walks, because I get the chance to turn it on, and have a hard time taking it off when I get home? the best ggrr ugh I've ever had to deal with, lol,

Jul 1, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #117 of 187
I use it almost religiously paired with my ak240 when listening to iems. Demoed ak380 and still more pleased with my RX an ak240. Nuff said about this lil box of engineering.

Jul 5, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #118 of 187
well I have/had my work cut out for me on the Pure II thread, I wish I could just get in get out and then get on with my audio adventures, this Head-Fi stuff/memebership sure winds up being ALOT of work, grrr ugh, lol,

anyways I've tried to school those german purists about the even more purity of Amarican made! lol, jk, well I was once a PII head, but the Rx has truly shown me better medicine! to each their own, we all hear things differently,

here's what I had to say on the PII thread about my personal experience:

ME and my oh yea well I had the PII and guess what I said open big mouth insert foot, lol:

"yes I loved my Pure II ALOT, now I have the Rx, and it makes the PII sound congested? wwhhaaa? yep Ken from ALO has out done himself, this little piece of gear is soemthing else,

I am ssoooo sad to say so because I thought I had an end all in the PII? a little mid forward but phenominal, shug bits, I have to quit Head-Fi, but yes at 1/2 the cost the Rx competes with the incredible Pure II? it's a little more balanced then the PII with the bass, mids, and treble, which is buttery smooth, anyways not meaning to derail, but I had to chime in, will not do so anymore, unless I turn back onto the PII? doubt it, peace!"

@WCDchee: Thats strange, while i thought the rx was decent it never felt like it was on the same level to me

then I had to say:

"you mean the Rx? well sound wise to me I'm preferring the Rx over my PII, better synergy along with my other pieces in my portable rig, iPod>CLAS-R>Rx>ASG-2s>ZOv1, to me it has a better SS more open reveiling with more detail,

sorry not good at the tech speak, but great at fanboyism though, lol,"

@mejoshua: Strange, because the Pure II is superior in soundstage, separation and clarity to the Rx when I heard it out of the DX90. The Rx was warmer to my ears...

@Tony1110: Are you the kind of guy who is susceptible to wild excitement upon receiving a new toy?
wink.gif

then I finished with:

"if that's = to fanboyisms, then guilty as charged on occasion, but not without good cause or reason, my adventures into audio-fi ='s audio therapy! which translates into an education of this compares to that, hhmmm!

and so my audio travels are a process of learning, more subjectively then objectively, having not learned the technical speak/aspect of sound curves, hrzs, and whatnot? knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss, when it comes to audio therapy I dumbly/luckily chose bliss over power? albeit mostly limited to a portable rig setup,

so in a/b ing the Rx and the PII just now, I am very very sorry to say that the Rx pulls ahead in many ways over the PII? one big difference is it seems to handle the treble much better then the PII, in that it connects it to the mids more and doesn't cut it off/short in what seem to be in fear of becoming sibilant, the Rx's treble extends the ALOT further then the PII, and so gives it a way more open/less congested/less fatiguing element over the PII, and without ever coming close to being sibilant, which I am uber sensative to, and so the Rx's soundstage winds up being bigger by a margin or two or thre or four? and because of the better treble extension it sounds more cleaner then the PII, brings out more detail, provides better instrument seperation, better bass, the PIIs mids seem to be a hangup for it, not sure how to put it,

a minus for the Rx is it is strictly an IEM amp, not alot of volume travel/gain there, Ken had to increase the VT on the Rx for me, I was going to have to return it otherwise, I guess my portable rig doesn't have enough output for the Rx to do a suitable job with volume/gain, I usually had it turned all the way up, and then still needed some more output, but now it's ALOT better, although I think I might send it back to Ken again for a little more of a bump with the VT, but boy oh boy, this little puppy gives me a good feeling/thrill just by listening to it,

but anyways like I said one way to put it is the Rx has better synergy with the other pieces of my gear, and everyone hears differently, but as it goes my gear is iPod>CLAS-R>Rx>ZOv1(when I need an extra kick)>ASG-2s

I was amazed at how the PII brought ALOT of balance to the sound signiture of my ASG-2s when I first got it, a little forward in the mids, but tonally it brought the bass, mids, and treble into a nice equalibrium, a W sound? a shape of what I always thought would be the best sound ever for my tastes!

because ever since I heard of sound being described as V, or U shaped, that is when I started to wondered about a W sound? the PII really brought the possibilty of a W sound to life for me in a VERY BIG WAY! where the bass, mids, and treble all shared the sound signiture/stage more equally, and then was also able to make them larger then life! the PII was the first amp that made me really believe that the W sound was possible, that it existed, myth coming to life? it was the unobtanium/ultimate componant in what I was seeking for in my search for better audio therapy, and music is seriously therapy for me, helps me cope, keeps me calmer, I guess I took the term drop out and tune in literaly,

and so my PII education translates into yet another leg of my this compares to that audio adventure, hhmmm! and the Rx takes me that much closer in my elusive search of the W ss,

thanks Vorzugue and KB!

Happy Listening everyone!"

I'll proabbaly get banned for heresy again? ggrrr ugh, lol, along with getting ripped a new one? I guess when Charlie Brown is your idol, you have to accept what life throws at you, or pulls away at the very last second, so you go flying into the air only to land on your back, yet again? ugh, glad I'm only dumb, and not stupid, lloll,

but the Rx really has a better sound to it then the PII, but both are GREAT amps!

Jul 5, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #119 of 187
I haven't had time to complete a comprehensive review, but the Rx is in the Head-Fi Summer Gift Guide: http://www.head-fi.org/a/head-fi-buying-guide-portable-amps-dacs-daps-page-2

Jul 5, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #120 of 187
Currawong, nice description in the buying guide, echoes what I hear. It also pairs well with the cleaner sounding X5ii.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back