The all new ALO Rx IEM amp! Now on sale.
Apr 7, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #31 of 187
It is normal for the pot when turned all the way down to zero (no sound), you should not hear anything, then when you turn the volume up just ever so slightly at the point where you can first barely hear some music this is where one channel will come in first. However this is not anywhere at listening levels, the moment the music becomes recognizable the left and right will quickly equal out even well before even low listening levels. Some less sensitive IEMs this will be unnoticeable. We used a audio taper potentiometer, this allows for more "turn travel" so you have more control over the volume.

We wanted to use a digital volume controller in the beginning in order to make the Rx super thin but the analog pot was SOOO much better sounding than when we used the digital volume controller.

Also for the Nickel plating, we found that wiping it with vinegar it will make the nickle plating shiny again if yours get a patina on it. Its is a bare metal so can darken over time.

Thanks

Ken

Thanks for the info ken.

I take back what I said about the bass. It hits low and has impact, even on my neutral Noble 4s, it is just very well controlled.

This is an end game portable for IEMs.

Apr 7, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #32 of 187
Thanks for the info ken.

I take back what I said about the bass. It hits low and has impact, even on my neutral Noble 4s, it is just very well controlled.

This is an end game portable for IEMs.

Thanks guys. The feedback is so good to hear. We spent about a year going back a fourth with my engineer here on the Rx development, many revisions before settled. The Rx is made in the USA and designed by a USA EE with the guidance of me and Caleb here, lots of listening and tweaking. We are really happy with the size and level of price performance, and enclosure design.

We will be selling the all black anodized versions later this month, $299 comes with the same high quality Green Line USB A to micro USB cable, 3 black amp straps.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Apr 7, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #33 of 187

Another glowing Rx amp review, this time over at Headfoncics.com.

"The RX is a revelation for its price and an instant winner for me with just about every IEM I tried"

-Marcusd @ Headfincs

Ken

I'm not one to make a review the deciding factor, but in this case, I did go onto ALO after reading this review to purchase my Rx.  Hit all the points that I cared about, and pointing out the Green Line inclusion was a huge plus.

Apr 7, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #34 of 187
Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Apr 7, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #35 of 187
Ken kindly lent me an Rx for review, and so far comparing it to the output of my Hugo, with various IEMs, it seems to be absolutely transparent. 

Apr 8, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #37 of 187
The Rx is great. In next weeks Ohm Air Podcast from Ohm Image I will be talking about it with Nathan, comparing it to the Cypherlabs Picollo as well. We recorded it earlier this week, but it won't be online before next week.

Ken, the channel imbalance -like you said- is there and with an analog pot you as good as always have it. On the Rx, left comes up first. I have to say though that in example with the AK240 and Legend R ciem, the gain is just a bit high for my listening volume. As a result, not to have the channel imbalance, I have to turn down the output volume of the AK240. Luckily I can or it would be too loud for me.

Sound wise the Rx is superb. Review will soon be online.

Apr 8, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #38 of 187
  The Rx is great. In next weeks Ohm Air Podcast from Ohm Image I will be talking about it with Nathan, comparing it to the Cypherlabs Picollo as well. We recorded it earlier this week, but it won't be online before next week.

Ken, the channel imbalance -like you said- is there and with an analog pot you as good as always have it. On the Rx, left comes up first. I have to say though that in example with the AK240 and Legend R ciem, the gain is just a bit high for my listening volume. As a result, not to have the channel imbalance, I have to turn down the output volume of the AK240. Luckily I can or it would be too loud for me.

Sound wise the Rx is superb. Review will soon be online.

All,

While I did not have anything to do with the Rx design (I designed the CDM), I do have an Rx here and wanted to chime in about the volume control:

- The volume control used in the Rx (and CDM) is a high quality conductive plastic potentiometer (even better and longer lasting than some of the Alps carbon types). 

As Ken mentioned above - with the most sensitive of IEMs, it is "NORMAL" that from mute (no volume, but not switched OFF) to the very smallest possible rotation from mute
(which would not be a usable listening volume), there will be some level of imbalance with any pot.  I believe Ken's team confirmed this with some of the best, full-sized Alps Blue Velvet types (used in larger home audio gear) just to confirm - because he did ask me about this.

But as soon as you turn the volume knob a little more than a micrometer from mute (i.e., when you get to a very low listening level), it balances right out from that point all
the way to max volume.

So this really should be a non-issue, even with the most sensitive of IEMs.  At least that is what I am finding with the Rx that Ken sent to me (one from his production run).

I hope this post is helpful,

Vinnie

Apr 8, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #39 of 187

All,

While I did not have anything to do with the Rx design (I designed the CDM), I do have an Rx here and wanted to chime in about the volume control:

- The volume control used in the Rx (and CDM) is a high quality conductive plastic potentiometer (even better and longer lasting than some of the Alps carbon types). 

As Ken mentioned above - with the most sensitive of IEMs, it is "NORMAL" that from mute (no volume, but not switched OFF) to the very smallest possible rotation from mute
(which would not be a usable listening volume), there will be some level of imbalance with any pot.  I believe Ken's team confirmed this with some of the best, full-sized Alps Blue Velvet types (used in larger home audio gear) just to confirm - because he did ask me about this.

But as soon as you turn the volume knob a little more than a micrometer from mute (i.e., when you get to a very low listening level), it balances right out from that point all
the way to max volume.

So this really should be a non-issue, even with the most sensitive of IEMs.  At least that is what I am finding with the Rx that Ken sent to me (one from his production run).

I hope this post is helpful,

Vinnie

Thanks Vinnie!

I just want to gauge peoples thoughts on the gain we have selected for the Rx, we were using a iRiver and a iDevice and leaned to having it drive more (on the louder side) using a composite cross section of IEMs. My friends over at Headfonia let me know that with some of their IEMs using a DX90 as a source its a little too hot. I can easily lower the gain on anyone who also thinks its too loud too fast, very easy. However if you lower the gain with some earphones it might not be loud enough, for example some dynamic driver IEMs need more gain. Let me know your thoughts guys I want to make the Rx good for all.

Thank you!

Ken

Apr 8, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #40 of 187

Thanks Vinnie!

I just want to gauge peoples thoughts on the gain we have selected for the Rx, we were using a iRiver and a iDevice and leaned to having it drive more (on the louder side) using a composite cross section of IEMs. My friends over at Headfonia let me know that with some of their IEMs using a DX90 as a source its a little too hot. I can easily lower the gain on anyone who also thinks its too loud too fast, very easy. However if you lower the gain with some earphones it might not be loud enough, for example some dynamic driver IEMs need more gain. Let me know your thoughts guys I want to make the Rx good for all.

Thank you!

Ken

For my multi BA headphones the gain is still a little high. It may also be a case of pot variance but the channel imbalance starts to creep into my low volume listening range.

As I have stated previously the Rx is otherwise an extremely compelling IEM amplifier which I am sure will be an end game portable for a lot of people. Congratulations to all involved.

Apr 9, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #41 of 187

For my multi BA headphones the gain is still a little high. It may also be a case of pot variance but the channel imbalance starts to creep into my low volume listening range.

As I have stated previously the Rx is otherwise an extremely compelling IEM amplifier which I am sure will be an end game portable for a lot of people. Congratulations to all involved.

That's exactly my opinion (on the BA's, low volume listening and the superb sound quality)
Ken and myself are looking in to it -as in my Rx - and I sent him a bunch of test results yesterday. Later today when I get home, I'll be sending him some more he requested yesterday.

ALO has always delivered top quality gear and service, I not for a second doubt we'll get this sorted out very fast.

Apr 16, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #42 of 187
Got my Rx the other day. Really nice little package. What daps are people pairing it with? Got an x1 and shozy alien right now.

Apr 16, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #43 of 187
Got my Rx the other day. Really nice little package. What daps are people pairing it with? Got an x1 and shozy alien right now.

Using mine with a Fiio X3. Seems to be a good pairing for this awesome little single-purpose amp!

Apr 25, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #45 of 187
Any idea when the ALO Rx will be restocked (and black color options available)? Hope I'd be able to pick one up soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back