The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Nov 3, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #3,151 of 4,580
These AKGs don't have the sound my previous  AKGs  had, these have much more and less defined bass.  This is in reference to my K701s, which were more analytical and open.  I like them anyway but  listen to my Senn HD700s fairly often which more closely mirrors the AKG K701s.
BTW I am also a speaker guy and like the analytic sound style, I used Focal electra 736s. 

Many people here believe the K7XXs do well with break-in and that the bass tightens up.

A bright and bass-light sound sig may be good for gaming, buy not something I'd want to listen to music with.

Also: are you amping these K7XXs well?

Nov 3, 2015 at 6:46 AM Post #3,153 of 4,580
  Thanks for the elaboration. If k701 and ad700 were to be rated 10.0 for competitive gaming, what would you guys rate q701 and k7xx?

It'd be 8.5 - 9 for competitive in comparison id say. It's not that you would not hear some of the sounds which you would with K701/702/Q701, it's just that those will portray them more open because of bigger soundstage, clear and unmasked by some lower frequencies in some instances.
Overall, though, you would even feel that you can hear more information with K7XX as they have much fuller/thicker and close/intimate sound.

Nov 3, 2015 at 7:24 AM Post #3,155 of 4,580
My K7XX's arrived today, much to my surprise. And no fees. None. Package is marked at $199, and the postman just left them by the back door. Either he decided not to charge me, I will receive an invoice for payment shortly, or there was no duties calculated by customs. Gonna try them now with my NFB-15.

Nov 3, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #3,156 of 4,580
My K7XX's arrived today, much to my surprise. And no fees. None. Package is marked at $199, and the postman just left them by the back door. Either he decided not to charge me, I will receive an invoice for payment shortly, or there was no duties calculated by customs. Gonna try them now with my NFB-15.

Haha whoa! Thats kickass.. They cant charge you later, thats illogical on their part

Nov 3, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #3,159 of 4,580

Hmm .. that's absurdly loud even with the amp low volume. Should I use low gain instead of high on the Magni 2?

Try low gain and see how it sounds.  But maxing out Windows volume and the volume in your player, combined with an amp, will indeed make it easy to get the K7xx loud.  With my amp (which is rated for 1W into 32 Ohms, so a bit less than the Magni 2) I usually have the volume knob set to 9-10 o'clock.

Nov 3, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #3,160 of 4,580

Try low gain and see how it sounds.  But maxing out Windows volume and the volume in your player, combined with an amp, will indeed make it easy to get the K7xx loud.  With my amp (which is rated for 1W into 32 Ohms, so a bit less than the Magni 2) I usually have the volume knob set to 9-10 o'clock.

Honestly can't tell a difference between high and low gain besides low gain giving me way more precise volume control.

I maxed out Windows Media Player + Windows, and yeah .. I accidently turned on high gain without lowering the volume knob and nearly killed myself LOL

I read that using an amp at super low volumes on the knob (like I was with high gain) can create channel imbalances -- so low gain it is for now.

Nov 4, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #3,162 of 4,580
  Just received mine today. Initial impressions are very positive. I'm still amazed at how comfortable they are. Currently paired with a Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber combo.

At first I was concerned by the earpad material. I have a beard and I found the material slightly irksome on the areas of my jaw that had stubble and thick hair, but after an hour or so of listening with them the ever-so-slight irritation never increased or worsened. No headphones will feel like you're wearing nothing. You have to wear nothing to get that feeling, which is why I generally prefer speakers. All I was hoping for was a comfortable headphone that didn't irritate or hurt after a couple of hours of use, and while I haven't tested it fully the K7XX's seem to be doing just fine.

Nov 6, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #3,163 of 4,580
Has anyone tried these with the c5 (either uprated or stock)? apologies if this has been answered elsewhere in the thread, have only managed to get through about 100 pgs so far

Nov 6, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #3,165 of 4,580
Ayup, yes I am. Eyeing one right now. Actually, if available in sufficient quantities, that would be an awesome drop. Also, for those who drive these of various iDevices, I know many think most of cupertino's finest sound mediocre at best out of the mini jack. Would an LOD make any difference?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back