The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Nov 1, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #3,136 of 4,580
Selling the HD 600 as well? I wanted to like the HD 600 but some reason couldn't, really liked the HD 650 though. I wasn't planning on selling the K712 for like a month anyways, so I can hold onto them. They have been heavily used and are the headphones I've owned the longest, so they do have some wear.

I really liked the HD600 in conjunction with a well-tubed LDIII. Now that I've upgraded most of my amplifiers, they're just not used. Can't find a reason, so I always reach for the AKGs. They're more transparent, more resolving, and are more fun to listen with. I like the HD650, too, and often wished I'd bought them instead.

I'm keeping the K702, K7XX, and K550 for those rare times I need a closed can. DT990pro for a higher-z alternative and I really like them, too. AD900x for the summers. In essence, 3 headphones that are used very often, and two that are rarely used, but do serve a purpose at certain times. If I (very) occasionally didn't need closed cans, I'd sell the K550, too. Really, push comes to shove, I could easily live with just the modded K702s. Perhaps a time will come when I will. Keeping the four amps, though. lol No plans to upgrade my Oppo105. To what? Plus, I love the thing. Never thought I'd say that about a digital machine.

Wear is no problem. As long as the pads are in good shape, we're fine. :)

Nov 2, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #3,137 of 4,580
I really liked the HD600 in conjunction with a well-tubed LDIII. Now that I've upgraded most of my amplifiers, they're just not used. Can't find a reason, so I always reach for the AKGs. They're more transparent, more resolving, and are more fun to listen with. I like the HD650, too, and often wished I'd bought them instead.

I'm keeping the K702, K7XX, and K550 for those rare times I need a closed can. DT990pro for a higher-z alternative and I really like them, too. AD900x for the summers. In essence, 3 headphones that are used very often, and two that are rarely used, but do serve a purpose at certain times. If I (very) occasionally didn't need closed cans, I'd sell the K550, too. Really, push comes to shove, I could easily live with just the modded K702s. Perhaps a time will come when I will. Keeping the four amps, though. lol No plans to upgrade my Oppo105. To what? Plus, I love the thing. Never thought I'd say that about a digital machine.

Wear is no problem. As long as the pads are in good shape, we're fine. :)

What I found is the HD 600 didn't scale up as much as the HD 650. The HD 650 had a bigger sound, faster, more precise imaging, better clarity, smoother, etc. Honestly the HD 650 sounds like a perfected HD 600 to me but also pickier and more demanding of systems. I had both for a while, after I got the HD 650 I immediately realized I should of foregone the HD 600. 

I've always liked Beyers quite a bit personally and would personally take the DT 990 over the DT 880 as I found it smoother and less metallic sounding than the DT 880 despite more treble presence. Though I do prefer the DT 150 over both the DT 990 and DT 880 and is my choice for a mid-tier Beyer. In regards to amps, I am done with Schiit after having both the Lyr 2 and the Magni and listening to numerous other Schiit gear, I found they all have the same problem, they are on the dull side and lacking the euphony I came to love from other gear I had and tried. Been really satisfied with HRT Dacs overall, but preferred the II+ to the HD slightly even though the HD was a bit more spacious and bigger sounding as it came at the cost of some musical enjoyment. Good gear is good regardless of analog or digital, though I do prefer analog and will likely stick with tubes. Just need to find a hybrid tube amp replacement for the Lyr 2 that isn't too expensive, have a few in mind though, though I will likely go with a good SS amp as well. 

The pads are not as deep as when new which is to be expected, but they definitely have plenty of years left in them and aren't damaged or wearing out. Some cleaning of the pads should fluff them up a bit. 

Nov 2, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #3,138 of 4,580
It's not a secret that I really don't care for the Schiit gear that I've had in my system. When I first received my Modi, I was very impressed with its appearance; it didn't look out of place in a dedicated room, high-performance system. Then I heard it. Absolutely dreadful sound as it sat next to a MSII and a Dragonfly. It wouldn't be fair to compare it to the Oppo105.

I have an audio acquaintance who was a Schiit fan, so I got to borrow a number of amps and the Bifrost for extended auditions. I say that he was a fan, because after proudly bringing over his new Lyr2 and comparing it to a used $150 Meier Arietta he looked like he was about to cry. Didn't even bother playing the Concerto or any of the tube amps. BTW, the Concerto sounds killer with K7XX, almost as good as with the Feliks Elise.

I do greatly admire Schiit's market penetration and their ability to fill every monetary constraint. It's at a point now where their marketing is almost free; the costumers sell the products to pre-sold individuals. People count votes, as if all posts are created equal. Silly. I just wish the gear sounded as good as it looked. Hell, I'd own a Schiit amp, too.

Nov 2, 2015 at 3:04 AM Post #3,139 of 4,580
It's not a secret that I really don't care for the Schiit gear that I've had in my system. When I first received my Modi, I was very impressed with its appearance; it didn't look out of place in a dedicated room, high-performance system. Then I heard it. Absolutely dreadful sound as it sat next to a MSII and a Dragonfly. It wouldn't be fair to compare it to the Oppo105.

I have an audio acquaintance who was a Schiit fan, so I got to borrow a number of amps and the Bifrost for extended auditions. I say that he was a fan, because after proudly bringing over his new Lyr2 and comparing it to a used $150 Meier Arietta he looked like he was about to cry. Didn't even bother playing the Concerto or any of the tube amps. BTW, the Concerto sounds killer with K7XX, almost as good as with the Feliks Elise.

I do greatly admire Schiit's market penetration and their ability to fill every monetary constraint. It's at a point now where their marketing is almost free; the costumers sell the products to pre-sold individuals. People count votes, as if all posts are created equal. Silly. I just wish the gear sounded as good as it looked. Hell, I'd own a Schiit amp, too.

I've felt the same, I think the Lyr 2 is a decent amp but definitely not worth the price. Haven't heard the Modi thankfully. Wish I got one of the other amps I was looking at the Project Ember or the Hifiman EF-5 instead of the Lyr 2, probably would of been much happier, both of which a friend suggested over the Lyr 2. I've always had a sense of disappointment with the amp, certain tubes and cleaner power helped but never fully fixed the issue I had with it. The K712 didn't sound bad on it but also not great. It lacked the very fun sound the cheapish and mediocre Hifman ef2a had(very musical sounding amp with too much gain for sensitive phones, but somewhat problematic in the treble). Never tried it with a clean system(clean power and clean USB to DAC) though. The EF2A paired with MS-II+ with the K712, K612, and K240 were the most euphoric combinations I ever owned as the music just sucked you into your own little world, I would love that musicality back with more refinement. Sadly true enjoyment like that in music listening has been gone from my system for a while. Many solid state amps tend to cause my ears to protest a bit after long term use, which is why I tend to stick with tube gear.

Sounds like Schiit gear isn't very good for the money, sadly I haven't tried many reasonably priced gear, it's mainly been expensive gear. Which makes me very sad about my amp at how poor it sounds in comparison. I was thinking it was a price difference but starting to realize it was the amp that didn't sound that great for the price. They definitely look good and they are easy to find for purchase.

Do you have any personal suggestions for an amp under $300-400 for an efficient low impedance headphone?

Nov 2, 2015 at 6:43 AM Post #3,140 of 4,580
I've felt the same, I think the Lyr 2 is a decent amp but definitely not worth the price. Haven't heard the Modi thankfully. Wish I got one of the other amps I was looking at the Project Ember or the Hifiman EF-5 instead of the Lyr 2, probably would of been much happier, both of which a friend suggested over the Lyr 2. I've always had a sense of disappointment with the amp, certain tubes and cleaner power helped but never fully fixed the issue I had with it. The K712 didn't sound bad on it but also not great. It lacked the very fun sound the cheapish and mediocre Hifman ef2a had(very musical sounding amp with too much gain for sensitive phones, but somewhat problematic in the treble). Never tried it with a clean system(clean power and clean USB to DAC) though. The EF2A paired with MS-II+ with the K712, K612, and K240 were the most euphoric combinations I ever owned as the music just sucked you into your own little world, I would love that musicality back with more refinement. Sadly true enjoyment like that in music listening has been gone from my system for a while. Many solid state amps tend to cause my ears to protest a bit after long term use, which is why I tend to stick with tube gear.

Sounds like Schiit gear isn't very good for the money, sadly I haven't tried many reasonably priced gear, it's mainly been expensive gear. Which makes me very sad about my amp at how poor it sounds in comparison. I was thinking it was a price difference but starting to realize it was the amp that didn't sound that great for the price. They definitely look good and they are easy to find for purchase.

Do you have any personal suggestions for an amp under $300-400 for an efficient low impedance headphone?

if you like a hybrid tube amp but looking at a cheaper price point, I would suggest looking at the project ember.

otherwise, some affordable solid state amplifiers priced above the entry level would include the aune x1s, jds elements, and massdrop grace m9xx.

Nov 2, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #3,141 of 4,580
  if you like a hybrid tube amp but looking at a cheaper price point, I would suggest looking at the project ember.

otherwise, some affordable solid state amplifiers priced above the entry level would include the aune x1s, jds elements, and massdrop grace m9xx.

I am considering the Project Ember II, I have heard the first Project Ember not that long after getting the Lyr 2 and honestly I liked it a lot more than the Lyr 2, it's when I really realized I got the wrong amp. When looking into the Project Ember last night, I looked into their other amps to see what they are, the Project Sunrise III caught my attention as it's also suited for low impedance headphones and has a low output impedance but is a pure otl tube amp. I think I'll end up choosing one of the two, I think I'll likely get the Sunrise though. The only reason I wasn't looking at pure tube amps is due to too high output impedance on most of them.

I'll keep those in mind, I have looked into the JDS Element some.

Nov 2, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #3,143 of 4,580
I think you are going in the right direction.  No matter how it is done when an amp uses SS, it flattens the sound.  Most people think you just add a tube someplace and it gives you tube amp sound.  I say ad SS someplace and what you get is SS sound. 
I didn't discover this for myself until I tried tube mono bloc power amps in my speaker system, (with a tube pre amp).  The 3d holographic sound, or sound stage, became almost life like.  It was a stunning transformation.  That said some small hybrid amps sound pretty good, like the Bravo 2 I use occasionally, but not as good as my pure OTL. 
Now I am curious about the Sunrise, there was so much positive press about Ember, it didn't even occur to me to read about it.  I am a tube roller but..... I just couldn't understand how the Ember accommodated so many different tubes.  I thought to myself, this Ember tube circuitry -not sensitive too a zillion tube types alterations, was perhaps not sensitive to much at all.  If the Ember is truly responsive to the rolls then they have a special amp  that is fun to play with.   I have a lot  no really a lot, of tubes and would be thrilled to hear what they do when put in a circuit.     

Nov 2, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #3,144 of 4,580
  Magni 2 Uber will be here in the next 2 hours.

The K7XX don't sound bad at all without an amp. I'm excited to see how they perform with some amping !

Sweet, let me know how it sounds! I have the exact same setup, M&M 2 uber stack and waiting on the k7xx.

Which do you guys think is better? K7XX or Bass modded K701/Q701? For competitive gaming and immersive gaming.

Nov 2, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #3,145 of 4,580
Speaking of unmoded Q701's i have: Q701 would be better for competitive gaming. As for immersive gaming, they both equal but each one is better in different aspects - where K7XX can add great bass in to the scene, Q701 adds that openness, out of head feeling which can sound pretty cool in some games. Q701 overall is fairly cleaner but quite cold and harsh, and they are also harder to drive: 
 Q701:
Volts RMS required to reach 90dB SPL: 0.318 Vrms
Impedance @ 1kHz: 60 Ohms
Power Needed for 90d BSPL 1.68 mW

K7XX
Volts RMS required to reach 90dB SPL: 0.206 Vrms
Impedance @ 1kHz: 66 Ohms
Power Needed for 90d BSPL 0.64 mW

Nov 2, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #3,146 of 4,580

Sweet, let me know how it sounds! I have the exact same setup, M&M 2 uber stack and waiting on the k7xx.

Which do you guys think is better? K7XX or Bass modded K701/Q701? For competitive gaming and immersive gaming.

I'm sticking with my Xonar DX for DAC and just adding the Magni 2 Uber into my setup. This will be the first amp I've used.

As for the K7XX in gaming .. I really like them. I think the AD900X were ever-so-slightly better in that regard but in the end the difference is negligible. The music I listen to sounds much better with the K7XX compared to the AD900X.

I play CSGO semi-competitively I guess and I don't have any qualms with the K7XX. It sucks having to use my old Gamecomm 780s when I go to LAN though .. open-back in a noisy environment just doesn't mesh well lol

Nov 2, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #3,147 of 4,580
The Magni arrived.

My lord .. I'm basically blasting the volume and it's still super crisp. My ears are in heaven!

I'm more curious if I should avoid pushing the volume on the Magni and up my windows/windows media player volume.

Nov 2, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #3,148 of 4,580
  The Magni arrived.

My lord .. I'm basically blasting the volume and it's still super crisp. My ears are in heaven!

I'm more curious if I should avoid pushing the volume on the Magni and up my windows/windows media player volume.

You should max out volume in Windows and your applications (in this case media player).  Lowering those degrades the resolution of playback files.  Max everything out but your amp.

Nov 2, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #3,149 of 4,580

I owned  the AKG K701 but they got stolen from me in a divorce.  

My sympathies, on all counts. Of all the assets disputed, or fought over, or lost [cars, art, real estate, jewelry, family heirlooms, etc] in divorces, I have never seen audio equipment [for ex HP's].

What don't you like about the Beyers? If you use them both regularly, how do the AK's fare against the 700's [with full allowances for discrepancies in their spec provenance]?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back