The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Oct 31, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #3,121 of 4,580
I just looked into it and it appears that €80 is what I should be expecting. I contacted DHL regarding my €40 charge for the $80 package from Audio-GD, and according to the invoice there was a €10 "administrative fee", which duty calculator does not seem to...calculate. There was also VAT not on what the package was marked at including shipping, but on the marked value and their own version of what shipping should cost, which was €31 according to them. So in fact I paid VAT on $80 (€70) + €31 shipping, not just $80. So even if your friend marks package down in value, you may still have might have to pay a €10 "administrative fee"—I guess it is a challenge putting a sticker on a box and then a conveyor belt—as well as tax on the shipping that they decide is correct, not what you actually paid.

I know these are made in China, and distributed by an American company, but it annoys me that our European friends are getting hammered when they try to buy a product made by an Austrian company. /rantover

Oct 31, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #3,122 of 4,580
Right. And after it was increased from 580 to 1000, Massdrop also extended the drop by a day. Nearly all 1000 in that drop were sold.

Hey, I know you Octiceps.
smile.gif

Yeah, and if you go over to Massdrop, you see people (who obviously do not have a life) still bitching about it all.
frown.gif
deadhorse.gif

Seems sad to me that some people can't focus on the good. I have not received mine yet, but they are on the way and should be here around the 3rd or 5th, I can't remember, nor do I care. I'm just looking forward to trying them out, I might like them a lot.

Nov 1, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #3,123 of 4,580
Hey, I know you Octiceps.:smile:
Yeah, and if you go over to Massdrop, you see people (who obviously do not have a life) still bitching about it all.:frowning2: :deadhorse:  
Seems sad to me that some people can't focus on the good. I have not received mine yet, but they are on the way and should be here around the 3rd or 5th, I can't remember, nor do I care. I'm just looking forward to trying them out, I might like them a lot.

O hai. The name doesn't ring a bell. :)

We should be getting ours around the same time. My K7XX is scheduled to be delivered on the 4th.

What headphones are you coming from, or did you just get into the hobby?

Nov 1, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #3,125 of 4,580
O hai. The name doesn't ring a bell.
smily_headphones1.gif

We should be getting ours around the same time. My K7XX is scheduled to be delivered on the 4th.

What headphones are you coming from, or did you just get into the hobby?

Oh, sorry...I'm skeptic over on massdrop. 
Mine is due to be delivered around the 3rd thru the 5th. 
I'm coming from Sennheisers, the HD518 = narrow sound stage for open cans, cliff drop at around 9KHz and lean in the low mids. They aren't terrible, but they lack detail. The K7xx should be a notable improvement or at least a welcome difference. I've never had AKGs before.

I'm not really into the hobby of headphones. I'm not a fan of headphones, I much prefer speakers, but the living situation currently calls for an increase in headphone use.
One thing for sure, I'll be able to use the AKGs with my vintage gear, but I'll need a seperate amp for my modern system. For some reason, while my AVR has enough power (120 wpc constant, 150 peak) to renovate the room if turned up high enough, they seem to have over-engineered the headphone amp bit however, it struggles to drive my HD158s and they are only 40 ohm.
So I'll be looking for an amp later (yes, I have at least one pre-out, I may have two on the thing, so I'm set).

Nov 1, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #3,126 of 4,580

These AKGs don't have the sound my previous  AKGs  had, these have much more and less defined bass.  This is in reference to my K701s, which were more analytical and open.  I like them anyway but  listen to my Senn HD700s fairly often which more closely mirrors the AKG K701s.
BTW I am also a speaker guy and like the analytic sound style, I used Focal electra 736s. 

Nov 1, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #3,127 of 4,580
Go figure! I had bought a set of these from a member here a while back. They were perfect, but I decided to sell them anyway. I recently decided to join the drop and purchase again. Well mine have the infamous rattling in driver! Already contacted MD CS, now just waiting on reply.

Nov 1, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #3,128 of 4,580

Thank you for using infamous correctly. I am sorry about your misfortune. I hope their service after sale is pleasant and productive. It should be with an item that costs this much, regardless of the relative bargain price we paid. 

Nov 1, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #3,129 of 4,580
These AKGs don't have the sound my previous  AKGs  had, these have much more and less defined bass.  This is in reference to my K701s, which were more analytical and open.  I like them anyway but  listen to my Senn HD700s fairly often which more closely mirrors the AKG K701s.
BTW I am also a speaker guy and like the analytic sound style, I used Focal electra 736s. 

The bass gets better after extended burnin and likes an amplifier with a lot of control. Generally, though, I agree. The resolution is a notch lower, and the soundfield is less expansive than K701/2. Bass modded K702 are my favorite headphones; the K7XX are a step below. They're very good for the money, but not on the same level of performance as some of their brothers.

Nov 1, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #3,130 of 4,580
The resolution is a notch lower, and the soundfield is less expansive than K701/2.

On that note, I was shocked to discover the K7xx is more detailed than the DT 880 to my ears (I currently have both).  Not that the DT 880 is supremely detailed or anything; I find it to be considerably overrated in that regard.  This seems to have a lot to do with the K7xx having faster, more realistic decay than the DT 880.

Nov 1, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #3,131 of 4,580
On that note, I was shocked to discover the K7xx is more detailed than the DT 880 to my ears (I currently have both).  Not that the DT 880 is supremely detailed or anything; I find it to be considerably overrated in that regard.  This seems to have a lot to do with the K7xx having faster, more realistic decay than the DT 880.

I'm actually selling my DT880/600, because I simply don't use them. Not since getting the K7XX, now that you mention it.

Nov 1, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #3,132 of 4,580
I'm actually selling my DT880/600, because I simply don't use them. Not since getting the K7XX, now that you mention it.

That's quite the coincidence!  I may be selling one of them soon, although I haven't decided on which yet.  I'll only sell one soon if I like one better than the other for just about everything.  I definitely like the K7xx more for classical and also PC gaming, but I haven't decided on anything else yet.  K7xx still needs more burn-in time too.

Nov 1, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #3,133 of 4,580

I know that feeling, I'm actually selling off all my gear as my Nighthawks have left me so satisfied and decided to get a different amp and dac as I have always felt the dac(wish I stuck with the HRT II+ instead of getting the HD) and especially the amp were lacking bit in terms of euphony, all I have left to sell is my K712. I personally liked both the K7XX and K712 more than the DT 880/600.

Nov 1, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #3,134 of 4,580
I know that feeling, I'm actually selling off all my gear as my Nighthawks have left me so satisfied and decided to get a different amp and dac as I have always felt the dac(wish I stuck with the HRT II+ instead of getting the HD) and especially the amp were lacking bit in terms of euphony, all I have left to sell is my K712. I personally liked both the K7XX and K712 more than the DT 880/600.

I'm going to list the Beyers and my HD600 in the next few days. If you can, hold on to your K712 for a week or so. I just may buy them from you.

It's kinda funny in an unfunny way; here I am trying to pair down my headphones (really bad pun intended), but not a single thought about reducing the number of amplifiers. lol

Nov 1, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #3,135 of 4,580
I'm going to list the Beyers and my HD600 in the next few days. If you can, hold on to your K712 for a week or so. I just may buy them from you.

Selling the HD 600 as well? I wanted to like the HD 600 but some reason couldn't, really liked the HD 650 though. I wasn't planning on selling the K712 for like a month anyways, so I can hold onto them. They have been heavily used and are the headphones I've owned the longest, so they do have some wear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back