The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Nov 8, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #3,181 of 4,580
  Because of its low impedance, it is easier for a K7xx to work well with a solid state amp. 

That's a generalization.  There are tube amps with very low output impedance and high current into low impedance headphones.  

Nov 8, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #3,182 of 4,580
Let me rephrase what I said: 

Because of its low impedance, it is generally easier to find a solid state amp that works well with K7xx.

Yes, there are tube amps that might work well with lower impedance phones, but most popular affordable ones do not, and it is not easy to find one without spending enough money.

Quote:

That's a generalization.  There are tube amps with very low output impedance and high current into low impedance headphones.  

Nov 9, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #3,183 of 4,580
I am planning to order one from Massdrop. I currently own a HD650 with Bottlehead crack and Dacport LX . Can any one give their view on how AKG K7XX will compare against HD650? And if it is worth to buy or not?

Nov 9, 2015 at 4:12 AM Post #3,184 of 4,580
This is a huge thread... I just have one question.

Did anyone figure out how to fix the rattle on this headphone?  

Mine does it on the bass heavier songs.

Is there some loose wire I need to be looking for?

Nov 9, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #3,187 of 4,580
Just got my K7xx last week and this Saturday I ran 3 CDs of all kinds of music through them to test. From extreme highs to extreme lows and mostly at a fair bit of volume (a touch higher than I prefer, so much of the time I did not have them on my head, I just let it run. After the 3 CDs played through I put the headphones on, lowered the volume to where I like and played a few selections from the same CDs. I'm happy and relieved to report that I have no rattle. Whew! 

Nov 9, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #3,188 of 4,580
I am planning to order one from Massdrop. I currently own a HD650 with Bottlehead crack and Dacport LX . Can any one give their view on how AKG K7XX will compare against HD650? And if it is worth to buy or not?

It's said the K7XX has slightly better bass extension and resolution. It's said to be a little less resolving than the HD650. It's said to have laid-back mids in comparison and a brighter treble, which may be a problem for some (me, for example, I had to mod it). Dynamics, soundstage and other specifics are too dependent on gear and source tracks. It seems the HD650 may be the better overall headphone, but it's not too far ahead.

Nov 9, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #3,189 of 4,580
It's said the K7XX has slightly better bass extension and resolution. It's said to be a little less resolving than the HD650. It's said to have laid-back mids in comparison and a brighter treble, which may be a problem for some (me, for example, I had to mod it). Dynamics, soundstage and other specifics are too dependent on gear and source tracks. It seems the HD650 may be the better overall headphone, but it's not too far ahead.

I think you mean its less transparent than the HD 650, not less resolving since you also said it has better resolution which is basically the same word.  I own the K7xx and have auditioned the HD 650 a few times, they sound much different.  The HD 650 is warmer and more laid back, and smoother and probably less resolving.  I haven't listened to the HD 650 enough to comment on transparency, but considering that nobody says the K7** series is more transparent, and considering the K7xx is not very transparent, I would assume the HD 650 is more transparent.

Nov 9, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #3,190 of 4,580
This is a huge thread... I just have one question.

Did anyone figure out how to fix the rattle on this headphone?  

Mine does it on the bass heavier songs.

Is there some loose wire I need to be looking for?

Remove the earpad (for the side with the rattle) and you'll see the driver membrane.
Just check for debris or wires in contact with it and gently remove debris /shift the wire.

Nov 9, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #3,192 of 4,580
I think you mean its less transparent than the HD 650, not less resolving since you also said it has better resolution which is basically the same word.  I own the K7xx and have auditioned the HD 650 a few times, they sound much different.  The HD 650 is warmer and more laid back, and smoother and probably less resolving.  I haven't listened to the HD 650 enough to comment on transparency, but considering that nobody says the K7** series is more transparent, and considering the K7xx is not very transparent, I would assume the HD 650 is more transparent.

I meant that the bass has better resolution on the K7XX, but overall the HD650 is more resolving and scales better (mids and treble). I haven't actually auditioned the HD6x0 series, I was just summarizing what I've read from people I trust.

Nov 9, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #3,193 of 4,580
I meant that the bass has better resolution on the K7XX, but overall the HD650 is more resolving and scales better (mids and treble). I haven't actually auditioned the HD6x0 series, I was just summarizing what I've read from people I trust.

I'm surprised.  I've only read the opposite; the HD 600 and HD 650 are smooth and not particularly detailed, but it takes more than auditions to confirm this.  I can confirm they're smooth sounding, I can't compare detail retrieval though.  The DT 880 is generally thought of as more detailed than the HD 600 and HD 650, and the K7xx is definitely more detailed than the DT 880 overall (I currently own both).

Nov 9, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #3,194 of 4,580
It's worth a mention that the discussion is about the newer 'silver driver' revisions, some people believe Sennheiser has been quietly upgrading the HD6x0 line. Earpad age makes a pretty big difference in sound as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back