The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Nov 12, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #3,211 of 4,580
Ja, ich auch! (Anyone want to help me with my German?)

I'm totally with you. The soundstage comfort, and clear mid-range make these fantastic for gaming.

I purchased the Fidelio X2 to replace the K7XX, and after seven weeks, I'm finally ok with moving on from the AKGs.

The K7XX is great for gaming, but I'm a relatively new audiophile, and need to try out more gear so I have a better frame of reference. I should probably grab an HD650, since I like a warmer can, and some have favorably compared the X2 to this classic.

Since the K7XX is a product now, there will always be one out in the wild (or in the classifieds), should I change my mind and want to buy it again.

If that happens, I'll be sure to tell everyone here I made a mistake.

The HD-650 is a great sounding headphone but you will need to look into the rest of your chain if you want to get the most out of it.  The K7XX is easier to drive than the HD-650 and the X2 is even easier, the best results I've had are with a BH Crack, second choice would be a Project Ember.  The Ember also works quite well with the K7XX while the BH Crack not so much.  For gaming the K7XX is better but I've come to like the HD-700 even more for gaming, and also watching movies.

Nov 12, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #3,212 of 4,580
  The HD-650 is a great sounding headphone but you will need to look into the rest of your chain if you want to get the most out of it.  The K7XX is easier to drive than the HD-650 and the X2 is even easier, the best results I've had are with a BH Crack, second choice would be a Project Ember.  The Ember also works quite well with the K7XX while the BH Crack not so much.  For gaming the K7XX is better but I've come to like the HD-700 even more for gaming, and also watching movies.

Yeah with that kind of headphone variety, having two headphone amps is preferable, although you could just use one like the Project Ember which should drive everything except for extremely inefficient headphones.

Nov 12, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #3,214 of 4,580
Does anyone have experience safely washing the pads? I want to prep mine for sale but I'm afraid to damage the memory foam. The foam itself is still nice and firm after around 2000-3000 hours of use.

Nov 12, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #3,217 of 4,580
  What would be a logical upgrade from the 7xx?  I've heard the HD700 is more of a lateral change.  So would it be the HD800? 

That would be the K812 I would imagine.  The HD 800 would be a fine upgrade too.  In my opinion the HD 800 is significantly better than the K7xx in every way... if you can drive it properly.

Now that you mention the HD 700, I think they're kind of similar except the HD 700's treble is worse behaved.  The HD 700 isn't exactly a lateral change though; it's more transparent, maybe a little bit more resolving, and images noticeably better.

Nov 12, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #3,218 of 4,580
I'm finding that one of the distinguishing characteristics of these is that the soundstage is exceptionally good. If anyone is interested in listening to binaural recordings or virtual surround sound, I think pretty much just the akg k7xx and the audio technica ad900x are the headphones capable of making it really convincing in this price range.

Nov 12, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #3,219 of 4,580
  I'm finding that one of the distinguishing characteristics of these is that the soundstage is exceptionally good. If anyone is interested in listening to binaural recordings or virtual surround sound, I think pretty much just the akg k7xx and the audio technica ad900x are the headphones capable of making it really convincing in this price range.

Yeah the sound stage might make me keep it even after upgrading to a Stax setup soon.  I see myself keeping the K7xx for gaming.

Nov 14, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #3,220 of 4,580
I've been extremely busy with work the two weeks and have not had much time to sit down and listen to the K7xx with the Magni 2 Uber.

All I can say is.. coming from Apple iPod headphones at work and being able to wake up this morning, put on my K7xx, and flick the power switch on the Magni ..

Life is good. LOL

There is just something magical about the soundstage that these headphones have.

Nov 14, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #3,221 of 4,580
I apologize if this has been asked before but I am looking for some advice.

I purchased a pair of K7XX's from the latest mass drop, but I have no amp for them. I've heard AKG's are picky with what amp they are paired with, so rather than a recommendation just on power alone, anyone who knows from experience what amp goes good with these would be great.

Another thing I'm wondering about is amps with a battery pack in them. Most of the time I'll be using these K7XX's at my desktop for 70/30 gaming/music. However, I'm also on my MacBook and iPhone a bit at home and would like to use them with those too. 

when I asked about this on reddit's headphone section I was told by one person that amps with a battery pack can't be used while they are charging/plugged in because they are too noisy. Is this true? If so, would my only option be to just get a second pair of headphones that require no amping for use with my MacBook and iPhone?

Finally, my brother is getting a pair of 712 Pro's, which I think are pretty similar to the ones I ordered. Does anyone have an amp recommendation for him? He doesn't need portability/battery power, he will only be using these at his desktop.

Nov 14, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #3,222 of 4,580
I purchased a pair of K7XX's from the latest mass drop, but I have no amp for them. I've heard AKG's are picky with what amp they are paired with, so rather than a recommendation just on power alone, anyone who knows from experience what amp goes good with these would be great.

K7XX aren't picky as long as you have enough power/current to drive them. It's the thing in between the pads that's picky :wink:

Nov 14, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #3,223 of 4,580
K7XX aren't picky as long as you have enough power/current to drive them. It's the thing in between the pads that's picky
wink.gif

Indeed!!!

With that being said, are the 712 pro's similar enough that the same amp could be recommended for both of them?

Do you know anything about portable amps with built in batteries being too noisy to use while they are plugged in/charging?

Nov 14, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #3,224 of 4,580
I agree with cel4145 that K7XXs are not picky with amps. All my solid state amps drive K7XXs better than Q701.  

Quote:

Nov 14, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #3,225 of 4,580
I really like the K7xx with my Magni 2 Uber, but I also have zero experience with any other amps.

I just got my upgraded RCA->3.5mm cable that I ordered from Amazon. I was using the cheap silver-coated cable that came with my Xonar DX, as I didn't realize the Magni didn't supply the cables/didn't think about it at the time.

Feels like there's a tad bit more clarity, but could be placebo.. either way, got a nice 6ft gold-plated cable for like $12 off Amazon. Can't be any worse than the cable that came with the Xonar lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back